Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
jellyfish
69 Posts
Not been to Majorca for a few years now but on our last visit we were swimming at Calas de mallorca and found ourselves sharing the sea with dozens of purple coloured jellyfish about the size of tennis balls. I got stung on my chest and across my back and my father in law was also stung on his back before we could get ourselves out of the sea. We treated the stings by showering (cool) taking antihistamine tablets and paracetamol and applying an ice pack. It took a couple of days before the stings stopped hurting.
Coped from Majorca Daily Bulletin 7/7/05

Post edited for copyright reasons, but please feel free to post a link to the relevent page instead.
David HT Mod
we stayed at the beautiful puerto pollenca last week and are now home. Whilst there we went to Alcudia Beach and saw many jelly fish on the beach. They were about the size of a £2 coin with a clear mound. They were dotted all along the beach and could easily be trodden on by children.

Take care and be on the lookout.

Fab beach though, although Alcudia for us, we thought, was rather tacky compared with the classic unspoilt Puerto Pollenca.
The jellyfish were mentioned on tv this morning, saying that there are many in Majorca at the moment epecially in Magaluf and Palma Nova. :(
It said if you get stung the best remedy is vinegar, so head for the nearest restaurant!
have a look at today's Mirror to see the size of the flaming things - they are HUGE!

I was like OMG :yikes
so if the jellyfish dont get you the sharks will :fish :omg :fish
Was in Santa Ponsa just over a week ago and didn't see any, went in the sea most days as well. 8)
Saw a feature on the jellyfish this morning on GMTV.

Off to Santa Ponsa on the 6th August so I've now got even more excuse for lying on the beach rather than swimming with my son in the sea. :wink:

Like my son says,at least they can't get in the swimming pool!(bless him). :roll:

Mandy
We are off to San Augustin/Cala Major on Saturday can anyone tell me the situation reguarding the jellyfish? Is that area safe?
hi there, there is a long thread on this topic from earlier if you are interested
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10994
hi i have just returned from sillot and my husband and i got stung by a jelly fish and believe me it was sore we put vinigar on them and it helped but i never went back in the sea my husband did but i am a coward. but you cannot see them and my husband got it worse than me it was like a electric shock going thru your arm so beware at sillot beach
We came back from Sa Coma last week. We spent one day on the beach in Playa Romantica and saw a young lad being carried out by his dad with a jellyfish sting to his ankle - he wasnt crying or anything though and seemed very calm.
Hello there, after reading the many reports on jelly fish im just a little concerned due to fly out on Aug 13th to Puerto Pollensa any updates please..... Thanks
Pantherjo
Hi pedpolly

The link you have got is to this thread, everybody must be going around in circles. :lol:

Just thought I would let you know.

Mike
Hi there, sorry that link was added to another thread on this topic and the administrator has added the 2 threads together, so it will appear that we are going around in circles ( perhaps they can remove the link)
i saw some small ones in the sea at cala millor a couple of weeks ago and i think our youngest got stung on his foot. Never gave it a thought until i read this thread!
going to Puerto Pollensa on the 13th of aug, does anyone know if there are alot of jellyfish over there??
Hi
we came back from Sa Coma 3 wks ago and never saw 1 jellyfish,we visited S;'llot,Calor millor,Cala Bona.The sea was brilliant, especially Sa Coma and S'llot.I would not worry about them, I havea 10yr old who is pettrified of them,so if any where to be found he would have found them and let us know about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So just go and enjoy your holidays!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.