Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Just back from a week in Cala Dor and second in Can Pastilla.

We went snorkeling in the sea every day and thank goodness, didnt see one jellyfish, maybe they are concentrated in certain areas?

Toots
hi just back from palma nova. swam in sea every day and never saw one jelly fish and we were there for two weeks netsie
Just back from 2 weeks staying on Palma Nova beach. Sea was free of jelly fish until last day when i was bitten. Quick sharp sting which went away within 20 minutes. No problems - child birth was more painful :D
From what i am led to believe the best thing to use is wee :shock: yes just pee in a bottle and pop it in your bag when you go to the beach. If you or your little one gets a sting just pour the wee over the sting instant relief. Not very nice but it sure beats watching your child in pain
Ew imagine carrying around a bottle of urine all day!!

I went to Magaluf/Palma Nova. Only spent a couple of days on the beaches though, never saw one jelly fish.

Did see a condom though at the waters edge in Palma Nova. Hope a child didn't scoop that up in their bucket.
Yip its not nice but it im sure it would be better than having your child in tears and in pain. Just tell the kids its a magic potion lol I think you can use vinegar also
Male Urine is best, picked that up on here some months ago! :?
Malt vinager is the job for jelly fish stings. You would get ?issed off carrying urine around all day. :lol: :lol:
Robert.
Hi there, When i got stung there was no vinegar close at hand and i would not have even thought of the urine cure.
It was just like a nettle sting and the discomfort lasted about half an hour. One bloke though had to be airlifed to be treated in hospital. There was another guy in the sea who was covered in stings and kept on swimming regardless and as he stood just kept splashing himself with the sea water. My wife thought he was a German ( they must be a tough lot) :shock:
The jellyfish themselves on that day were small white ones about the size of a cd but when we saw them again last year they were bigger and orange in colour and although it was scorching hot i kept out of the sea.
I read in the papers that all the beaches in the Med, including those around Mallorca have been closed, due to an infestation of jellyfish. I am staying in Alcudia and Santa Ponsa at the end of the month. Will the beaches be open?
Beaches closed?

Are you sure?

I think a few wires may have got crossed. The beaches were very much open and packed out earlier today.

Adam
hmmmmmmmmm mite set up a wee stall on beach make myself some extra holiday money

"get your wee here get it while its hot"
Alcudia currently has no problem with jellyfish. Don't know about Santa Ponsa. Some beaches were affected on the mainland and apparently closed but not in Mallorca. The "plague" that was meant to have hit the island concerned build-ups of jellyfish off the south-west (Andraitx area) and south-east (Santanyi to Porto Cristo).
I went to Palma Nova in June 2005 and myself and my fiance got stung by a jellyfish, it was very very painful and the pain although wasn't excruciating for long, did last until the end of the holiday (we got stung on day 2 out of 14) Still it didn't put us off going in the sea.
We didn't actually see them but it hurt like hell and then it was in the paper when we got home about these purple jellyfish invading majorca lol.
We went back to Palma Nova this year in June and went in the sea everyday and didn't have any problems. There was the usual thing of kids screaming " look jellyfish" but we didn't see any!
I have been stung and that certainly didn't put me off going in the sea! Just be wary but I wouldn't let it spoil your holiday!
Kate :D
an actual situation of the jellyfish in Mallorca:
http://www.mallorca.de/mallorca_aktuell/thema_des_monats0806.shtml

Regards, Peter
Very interesting, i think!

Is there any way that link can be translated into english? :?
German translation would take me too long. Look at the Daily Bulletin site - http://www.majorcadailybulletin.es - it has regular updates. Some reporting also on http://alcudiapollensa.blogspot.com
OK for translation you can use babel fish from Alta Vista.

Regards, Peter
Just back from Puerto Pollensa and didn't see any jellyfish. Yes, wee is the best antidote apparently!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.