Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
just back in tonight from son macia ,whilst over there i travelled about a bit on the south east of majorca from cala dor to porto cristo ,and we saw the dreaded jelly on most of the beaches . My wife was stung but she said it was a only bit more painful than nettle sting .This year the jellies are a lot darker than in previous years and are therefore easier to spot but for the most part in my experience they seem to be a bit further out than the majority of the swimmers
In answer to the question posed ealier I've seen no jellyfish in the sea at Santa Ponsa.
Just come back from Cala Millor/Cala Bona and didn't see a single jellyfish whilst we were there.
Jellyfish in Calvia at the weekend, around Portals Vells, i.e. not that far from Magaluf and around the headland from Santa Ponsa
Hi, we've not long got back from Majorca, and my sister got stung by a jellyfish, but it wasn't bad, it was like a bee sting.

Just to break the myth, weeing on jellyfish stings actually encourages the release of toxins and makes it worse!
Go with the ice in a bag, cremes like anthasan, or vinegar. I've also heard the tomato one, but I'm not sure if that works?
I went swimming between the beaches in cala mondrago and got hit, felt like the shock from a 240 light socket and then stung like mad. walked back to the original beach and the lifeguard put some cream on it, absolutely useless! By the sounds of it vinegar works better.
My arm throbed for about four hours, seriously painful and my hands and arms swelled up. Never been in so much pain.
But then my dad got hit in the same stretch twice and got nothing more than a shock and a bit of red skin.
Either there are a couple of different species or I had a bad reaction.
Its now 6 days since and the sting marks are still red, no pain but some of it is blistering.

Hope I'm not putting anyone off, because it's a lovely place.
Im also worried about jellyfish. I havent been to Majorca for nearly 10 years, and im not sure if i saw any then.
My brother saw lots of jellyfish in Murcia (mainland spain) last year, and there was a net to try and catch them.

Just to break the myth, weeing on jellyfish stings actually encourages the release of toxins and makes it worse!

Where have you got this information from? Im afraid this is wrong, because a few months ago my son was watching the CBBC channel after school and the newsround programme said that its Male urine that is good for jellyfish stings, and not female.

Vinegar is recommended, along with male urine. I know which one id prefer :yikes

Vinegar :)
There are a lot of jellyfish this year on the coasts of Spain, including Mallorca. From May until today, June 26, tons of jellyfish have been reported in the water, especially in Alicante. Above all, the Carabela Portuguese jellyfish or Man or War. I leave a video about it where they give recommendations on how to act if it stings.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.