Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
By the way, went to the sunday night meet-up in Candolim but couldn't find the place, was it Johncy's?? No-one had heard of it. Was on the jungle book trip and at a gala night on the wednesdays so couldnt do the wednsday night meet-ups. Sad to have missed them!
Whiskas,
Thankyou for a lovely report. It's great to see the place through the eyes of a "first timer"......us old hands tend to take things for granted having spent so much time here so thanks again for reminding me just how special this place is.
As for the baby thing....me and my hubby are in the same position as you, been thinking about babies for the past couple of years but Goa always comes out on top....maybe next year eh!!!
Glad you enjoyed your holiday, treasure the memories (the first visit is always the best)!!!
Take Care, Goldenflipflop x
Whiskas,
as far as I know(and I haven't been yet) the Lazy Days meet up is in Baga on a Wednesday evening, and the Sunday one is at Johncys in Cavellosim? (I think).

glad you enjoyed it so much even with the "shocking"hotel.
Shame about the Russians, although, we met one russian couple last year who were really nice people, didn't speak much english and we spoke no russian but they were good company for a couple of hours in the restaurant.
I have heard similar complaints about them in othere countries
A serious question when you go again (not if!) would you use the same hotel, as you seemed to accept its little foibles by the end of your holiday?
del949
Hi Del949, yes I would stay at the Nizmar again foibles and all! After a while the foibles became part of the charm if you know what I mean..never thought my hubby getting electrocuted would be something we could joke about the day after but it was, the staff at the Nizmar were mortified when we reported it and the poor hotel electrician guy got a right pasting which we felt awful about.
Where do you stay/recommend?
Thanks for a great report Whiskas! Hope the jet lag isn't too bad.
Hi Whiskas, great to hear you really enjoyed your holiday.
As we are both so keen on Thailand and were wondering if Goa would match up i was most keen to hear your comments.
I had a very different first impression though as for me it was most definately love at first sight , I can honestly say from the moment we landed at Dabolim to our departure the whole holiday was 100% fantastic.
I came back from Goa and said to my husband that we should go back to Krabi in Thailand next Xmas as I did not want to fall into the trap of going back year after year as so many people in Goa seem to.
However a few days after getting back i suddendly thought " Oh my God what am I thinking about ?" we have to go back as it really was a fascinating place and the people were so lovely, so here we are, yes I'm hooked and yes we are going back next Xmas.
I am sorry we did not visit Brittos as it sounds good, our favourites were East meets West in Baga and Mermaid in Candolim.
We visited the waterfalls and spent a lot of time on Baga beach at the Oceanic beach shack , we also spent 5 days on Ashvem beach and stayed overnight in cocohuts, we visited the tropical spice plantation and Old Goa.
There is so much to do but I think next time I may try and do an overnight to Palolem and a couple of days in Bombay.
Thanks so much for your trip report and please keep me posted on yor next trip to Goa.
PS what did you buy from the markets?
I went a bit mad and bought insence boxes, wooden elephants, sarongs, beaded bags, sparkly sandals, beadspreads, saffron, gypsy skirts, a silver elephant etc etc etc , shirleyV
Hi Shirley....what did I buy in the markets? What didn't I buy!! Bought beaded bags, lots of wooden bracelets/necklaces, indian style bangles, wooden elephant, marble elephants, marble box, spices, sunglasses, candlesticks...also bought two pairs of sparkly shoes/slippers in a shop in Baga, leather throughout for eight pounds each!! Also bought two leather handbags...as I keep telling the hubby, I am saving him money as everything is so cheap, he doesn't see it that way!

So glad you enjoyed your trip, I found Goa to be very similar to Thailand in lots of ways but also different for example some of the beaches we went to could have been in Thailand and the atmosphere and buzz on the busy streets on a night reminded me of Thailand and yet the culture is quite different.

Really really want to return for xmas this year...trying to decide between baby or Goa...think it will be Goa then baby and then Goa with baby!!

Can you remind me where you stayed?? Would you recommend it??
Yes we stayed at the Marinha Dourada hotel in Arpora - really nice.
Rooms very spacious and we had a room overlooking the lake which was very quiet.
We didn't use the hotel facilities much as we were literally 'up and out' every day.
Just outside the hotel it was very rural , there are a couple of restaurants nearby which you can walk to, All spice, Al Fresco , Starlight - we only tryed Allspice but I would definately recommend it, we visited twice.
There are also a couple of little local shops nearby and a currency exchange, and we were right next door to Mackies night market which was fab.(More shopping!!)
The Arpora area is so beautiful I fell in love with the scenery.
From outside the hotel it is 80 rupees into Baga and a little more to Calangute.
I would definately recommend both the hotel and the area,
as we want to fly on a certain date next December unfortunately the tour operator that flys from Manchester on that day does not use the Marinha Dourada so we are looking at a couple of hotels in Candolim.
Are you looking at a different location this time?? shirleyV
Hi Whiskas

Wow! :D
What a great report; you really did pack a lot in, much more than we did on our first TWO trips; (however we didn't have the advantage then of all the excellent advice from the people on this forum).

It just goes to show how HT can make such a difference. :tup

I remember feeling exactly the same way as you did on our arrival and it took us a lot more than 24 hours to fall in love with the place.

We have flew Monarch on our last four trips, on the last two we upgraded to premium and we did really feel the benefit! This Feb we are flying with First Choice and by all reports they appear to be a lot better.

As regards accomodation, we have stayed in Baga at The Royal Goan Beach Club at Monteray, (timeshare) which was excellent.

We also stayed at the Fort Aguada in Sinquerim which was an absolutely fabulous hotel, the beach was quieter than at the other main resorts with no hawkers either.
However it was a bit out of the way of the nightlife which was a problem, for us, as then the taxi drivers tended to wind up around 11pm . Although a bit pricey I can thoroughly recommend it as probably one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in!

We also had a go a couple of years ago at booking a private apartment in Candolim through http://www.lazydays.co.uk. The apartment was spacious and beautifully furnished however although there were ceiling fans it had no aircon which we found very uncomfortable.

Last year we stayed at The Phoenix Park in Candolim although not as luxurious as what we have previously experienced it is a lovely little hotel, ideally situated and very comfortable; hence we are going back next month.

I am really glad you both enjoyed your holiday and by the sounds of it will return,
All three of you!! :wink:

Ann
:wave
Hi whiskas, the photo thing is something that has been going on since the mid 90s. Some people say that they brag and show the pic to their friends of the European girlfriend that they have? We were once on the beach at Baga and one of the sellers told my wife "do not have your photo taken with these boys" as when you have gone home they will take the photo into the toilets and do things. My wife has never had her photo taken with these beach people since. Maybe its true and maybe not but the choice is yours. B
Have to agree, Whiskas, great report and puts mine to shame.

We found the charter flights an issue, especially as they changed them from the night flight that we had booked to afternoon flight which is harder with kids. For this reason we will probably go back to Thailand/Far East ( usually Hua Hin but may try Kraabi).

With regards to kids - have em and take with them with you. We took ours to thailand when she was 8 months and my son to Malaysia when he was 5 months..somewould say brave, some would irresponsible, but a great time was had and we havent let kids stop us from travelling long haul.
Hi Ann

What date in Feb are you going this year? We go 16/02/06. Hopefully see you on the beach or in Claudina's again! :wave
Tracy
Hi Tracy

We go on the 7th of Feb .Look forward to seeing you both again! :D

Sorry Fiona :offtop
Hi again, well it's half past five and I wide awake again...can't seem to get back into English time and it's driving me mad, back to work today and can see me asleep at my desk by lunchtime.

Glad you enjoyed my thoughts on Goa...re-reading it reminded me again how relieved I am we didn't pack up and come home that first night, we would have missed out big time! Missing Goa..it's dark, quiet and boring here....missing the noise and smells and buzz. :cry:

As for the baby thing, got a lot of thinking to do, the urge to have a baby is as strong as the urge to go back...aargh!! Hubby wants to go back for xmas and start trying whilst we are out there...sounds a good compromise!

How can a place have such an impact on you??!! :hmmm Guess the reason you all seem to return umpteem times says it all.
Right better get my clothes ready for work, boo-hoo!
Oh my god, just weighed myself to see what the damage is after the holiday and have lost half a stone :pele :pele How can that be? I ate like a horse!! First holiday I have ever lost weight on!!
That must be an added bonus to the great time you had in Goa, glad you enjoyed yourself 8)
Hi Whiskas,

What's your experience of the red dust - does it really ruin clothes??
Hi Beki B, the red dust didn't ruin any of my clothes but I didn't wear anything that touched the ground, just skirts or shorts...however it wrecked all the footwear I took and my hubby's white trainers had to be thrown! I have boil washed the trainers and they are still wrecked. I puposely bought cheapo flip flops I could chuck at the end of the holiday and it's a good job cos any nice footwear would have been ruined. So I presume if you wore long trousers or a long skirt it would do the same.

When you going??
Well done Whiskas!! What a fantastic write up!!

Myself and my boyf are hopefully heading out there at the end of next month, so reading your write up has been fantastic!

Obviously this site in general is fabby, as are all the people that are giving me endless amounts of advise on where to go, what to do etc. However hearing from a Goa virgin is great as I can easily imagine myself doing all the same things!

Okay so, No fancy shoes :shock: , no long trousers, no photos to get taken (eww slightly creaped out about that one!) any other no no's?

You do realise you've set a level now that I dunno if I'll be able to match when I do my write up!!

Goldie x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.