General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Don`t know what the law is but last year we copied our passport details onto a form.
The passports never left us.
I just refer them to the back of my Dutch passport that clearly states that I may not hand it over to anybody but those that are authorised to have it, such as immigration officials and the police and not a hotel employee I don't know.

Stops them taking it all the times this has happened.

Mark :)
there was a thread running on this last year, and a reply from the Foreign Office
see here
Thanks for that. So hopefully a photostat copy should suffice.
I also hate giving my passport over at hotels , expecially when they just put them in the pigeon hole things and leave the desk unattended at times.
Sometimes you dont get them back unless you ask , I remember two years ago one lady staying at our hotel forgot to ask for it back as she didn't need it to change tc's or anything and forgot about it, then when we was halfway to the airport on the coach the rep decided to ask everyone (Asking at the hotel might have been a better idea.!) Then she realised they still had it ,then someone from the hotel had to bring it to the airport and she got a telling off! It wasn't exactly her fault they didn't tell her they had finished with it did they! Bet its put her off going on holiday ever again the poor dear!
The advice given regarding passports abroad is a total mess and until we get ID cards, it will remain a mess. :roll:

Slightly off-topic, but bear with me and I'm talking about Spain here, somewhere like Equador or Bolivia will have different rules regarding ID.
The Spanish constitution and that means mainland Spain and all her territories, clearly states that anyone in the country over the age of 14 years old, they have to have some form of identity at all times, and as they have ID cards, that's no problem for them.

However, we don't have ID cards and apart from the people who have a photo driving licence, then most people rely on their passport.
The Passport Agency and the TO's (who are responsible for your health and safety) they advise you to keep your passport safe, preferably in a safe, a British Passport is worth more in today's climate than any gold chain or a few euro's to the criminal fraternity, plus you'll have the expense and hassle of getting it renewed or an emergency one issued to fly home, but the Foreign Office give the opposite advice for Spain that the tour operators and the passport agency give, by stating you should carry your passport or photographic ID....that's the first mess.!
There is a requirement to carry some form of ID with you at all times. This means either your passport or some other form of photographic ID.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/europe/spain?ta=lawsCustoms&pg=3

Which brings me back on -topic"¦
I'm amazed that the foreign office in the e-mail (link) suggested that you photocopy your passport to hand over to the receptionist, one minute they advise to carry it around with you, which is what the tour operators strongly advise against, and then they suggest photocopying it, and equally I'm amazed when anybody suggests photocopying a passport....that's the second mess!

It's actually illegal and a criminal offence to copy a British passport and with permission certain sections like the front cover can be reproduced for such things as "works of art," but the pages with personal information can only be reproduced for "record" purposes only and it must be just the information that you would need to assist the renewal of your passport should you lose it or it's stolen"¦..the photostat must be in black and white and not have any photographs.

I photocopied mine years ago until I realised it was illegal and I have been in contact with various departments for clarification on the matter, regarding Spain, and I received not one reply because there is no clarification on this issue and the subject is in total disarray, one department gives one advice the other the opposite....that's the third mess !

You're in total no man's land with British passports in Spain, do you photocopy to appease the policia and at the same time commit an offence against the British Authorities.?
Or do you carry it around with you to comply with the Spanish law and run a far greater risk of either losing it, it being stolen or being mugged for it.?

How can the foreign office advise to photocopy the passport, to hand over to the receptionist, who has no choice in the matter, it is the law that they register the details of their guests, when it is illegal to photocopy ?

And finally this is what Thomson have on all their welcome pamphlets that they give you once in the resort.
There is no wonder folks are confused, the foreign office do suggest that you make a note of your passport details and keep them in a safe place, but they also advise you to carry it around with you, quite the opposite of what Thomson and other tour operators advise.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8470/scanner0003bt3.th.jpg
Click on image to enlarge.

When you give your passport over to the receptionist and they ask to keep it, it is for them to do their administration work and after a long journey the last thing most folk want to do, is stand another hour in a queue, checking in.
In most cases, if you go back a few hours later, they will give it you back and the onus is on you to collect your passport, if you forget, then that's your fault, nobody else's.

CLICK HERE

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/advice/crown-copyright/copyright-guidance/reproduction-of-the-british-passport.htm

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.