General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Here is a bit of a comparison from a week ago

15.01.2009 £1 = 1.10260 Euro

15.01.2010 £1 = 1.1230 Euro

Average (380 days): 1.12281
High: 1.19040
Low: 1.02130

So there is very little difference in the exchange rate I am afraid :(

Graham
Thanks Graham. Oh well, I was hoping the 1.05 I saw last week started pushing a daily rise and would continue. I'd feel rich on holiday if it ever went back to 1.45 to the £! :D
This rate is the best for a few months that I can remember,certianly better than last week
I spent quite a few euros last week if that counts :rofl I exchanged some money before I went on my travels and for £200 or so (well £199 they gave me a pound back which is random) and I got 210 euros back.
I'd feel rich on holiday if it ever went back to 1.45 to the £!

Me too Chivas. Sadly, I can't ever see it going anywhere near there again :(
hi all....I never cash in my left over euro's....ansd I'm sure I'm quids in after doing this for years now...every year the euro gets more expensive to buy and you get less back than you paid for them when you cash them in again....so I gain a bit every year....last year I had a lot left over from previous year and I got the rest I thought I needed for 1.145 aprox....I went AI for the first time and really didnt know how much to take...weren't sure how good the AI would be....turned out was very good and so I brought a lot of euros back which I held on to..........the euro is aprox 1.11 at the moment so my euros are worth more now....and as we decided to go back to same AI this year the euros I have will be enough and so I dont need buy any more......guess who's a happy bunny this year
Euro is struggling at the moment, as are some other currencies that a basically tied to it like the Swiss Franc. This is due to near financial meltdown in Greece dragging everyone else down. Sterling isn't particularly strong (pre-election limbo), it's just benefiting from their misfortunes. I don't think either the Greeks or the ECB have any quick answer to this so the rate may well get better, Nationwide Flex card users could be getting 1.20 by the summer as long as we don't get a hung parliament.

Theoretically (and it won't happen so don't panic) if Greece was dumped from the Euro the rate would soon go backwards.
Well today the post office is offering 1.123 so a slight increase. So far today it's looking good! --> http://www.whichwaytopay.com/currency-charts-live.asp
In the Daily Mail they asked 8 "experts" whether to buy euros now or later- and guess what? $ 4 said buy now, 4 said later!! They all seemed to think the election would have a bad effect on the £ late summer/ autumn.
Kate (no wiser!)
This is the rate today 1.00 GBP

=

1.15510 EUR better than what the PO is offering ...colleen
Colleen

that looks like a wholesale rate not what you'd get at an exchange office.

there are three basic rates that you need to be clear on;

Sell (Euro to you) which will be around 1.10-1.12 at the moment

Buy (Euro from you) which may be 1.18-1.19

and wholesale. The latter is used by banks for deals between themselves and by card companies. But if you use a card there will often be an overseas service charge and if it's a credit card for cash from a machine you may pay interest from day 1 so the good rate may not to be that good in the end. The Nationwide Flex account debit card does not have any add on charges in Eurozone so you would get the wholesale rate.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.