Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
We are back in Krakow 7th - 11th December, & apparently there is a half-decent Christmas Market.

I can't remember exact prices from July, but I do know that some of the bars/ restaurants on the main square charged the highest we experienced (as you'd expect), & some of the cellar bars & restaurants a few streets off the square, were very reasonable.

I think an average price for a pint of local brew & a glass of white vino was about £2.50. :shock:

I've just been checking the weather & it says over the next few days it could go as low as -10! I knew it was going to be cold but I really don't think I could survive at -10. :(
I've asked on another thread, but can anyone confirm if there is restrictions on the amount of cigarettes you can bring back from Poland, or is it now treated like other EU countries?
We were in Krakow last year and the markets were on in the square. It's not so much what they sell as the atmosphere. :D

Word of warning to smokers - stay airside until you need to go through to flight as there isn't anywhere to smoke once through departures. The airport is very small especially when you go through to departures with a bar and a tiny tiny shop.

Regarding allowance I'm sure it's still limited ie about 250 cigarettes 250gm baccy only
One good thing about Krakow airport is that they charge 'normal' prices airside. Cup of coffee for less than a pound and a sandwich for about a pound. Cannot grumble at that. Actually apart from the officious security that takes ages to get through, it's a nice little airport.

Drewster, it's an EU country so it's the usual for cigarettes etc.

Helen, apart from the main square everything is cheap in Krakow. We were there in February, stayed in Kazimierz and ate there too. Meal for a family of four with drinks, including a beer and wine, two courses, on average about £20. You can get cheaper and you can get more expensive but basically money is hard to spend there!
Thanks for your replies. We can't wait. We went to Warsaw last October and thoroughly enjoyed, but apparently WArsaw & Krakow are like chalk & cheese. Drewster! We were in Tallinn Estonia in February and it was - 10 at night. A nice warm coat & hat & it was fab. One tip make sure you take layers of clothes for the night. I made the mistake of only taking warm jumpers to Prague in December and then melted in the restaurants and pubs at night. One other quick question, are the streets cobbled ?- just thinking of appropriate footwear as we tend to walk for miles(or it feels like it) on these mini breaks. Thanks
Hi Helen

Yes there are cobbles and if it snows, you'll also need warm footwear. We were there between Xmas and New Year '05 and had a foot of snow! We actually took our hiking boots, to keep our feet warm, dry and comfortable. The Christmas market in the main square had a great atmosphere. If you've not already seen it. my report and link to some pictures is on here:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17643

Have a great time.
Drewster, it's an EU country so it's the usual for cigarettes etc.

I think Poland, like Cyprus, although in the EU is still limited for duty free's

These limits apply when travelling from the following countries:
Czech Republic: 200 cigarettes, 250g tobacco, 50 cigars, 100 cigarillos
Estonia: 200 cigarettes, 250g tobacco
Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia: 200 cigarettes
Cheers for the replies folks....

Wasn't sure about the ciggie quota as last year we flew on to Budapest, then back through Hanover, so by the time we reached UK we arrived from Germany & no-one checked at Customs. Going by the above I brought more than my quota from both Poland & Hungary. 8)

I'll maybe risk a few cartons as they're so cheap. :evil:
& yes there are cobbles, quite a few of them if I recall correctly.
Sorrry to dwell on the ciggie point but, if someone happens to be bringing back say 5 cartons & the allowance is only 1, does anyone have any idea if you can pay the duty on the extra?

Anything I've read says you only pay duty on goods from outside the EU, so is it possible & if so, how much would it be?

This whole thing is starting to look like one big scam just to stop Brits buying cigarettes too cheap! :x
Off to Bristol tomorrow afternoon and then a 6 am flight to Krakow on Saturday(hope this weather's better for take off) Been on the weather underground website and there's a 50% chance of snow. Staying at the 2*Campanille hotel -looks very central and we're only there to sleep. (will report when we get back) It's my big "50" so hope to celebrate in style.
Does anyone know what the weather will be like in May?
Hi all ! Just got back from Krakow last night. Brilliant!! I don't think it was as cheap as we expected, but still cheaper than the UK. We were a group of 4 and a three course meal with 2 drinks each (beer & vodka) was around £50. That was eating in the main square or in the better restaurants in the Jewish quarter. Clothing we found to be the same price as the UK. Their footwear was exquisite and slightly cheaper then the UK. The Salt Mines was a great half day trip, but Ausvitch - Birkenhau was something else. You see it on the films but until you've actually seen the place you can't possibly envisage the tragedy of what went on there. I'd definitely go back again but next time I'd spend a couple of days in the snows of Zakopane and then move down to Krakow. Fantastic
thanks Helen for your report . Glad to hear you had a great time. We are going after christmas too :D . How did you do the Ausvitch trip and how long was the journey,also do you know what time they shut in the winter. ive read its easy to just jump on the bus there and either walk round yourself or pay a guide on the gate but would like to plan how long to allow .

lyn
Hi! We intended going on the train which costs around 20 zlotys, but we had a good deal from a taxi driver at the bus station.There were 4 of us and we paid £10 each. For this we had a Mercedes taxi, and when we arrived he arranged our tickets for us and showed us in what order to go and see things. It took around an hour to get there. We were there around 3 hours, but we could have stayed longer. We then went to Birkenhau around 3 miles away and were here about an hour. Again we could have stayed longer. Admission is free to both camps - You just pay around 3 zlotys for a guide book. If you buy the book you don't really need the guide. From December to February it is open from 8.am - 3.00 pm. You'll need a dry day as there's quite a lot going on outside. The driver then took us to a shopping mall in the Jewish Quarter, and waited there for us. All in all we had a private taxi from 9.00am until 4.30 pm for £40. We were so impressed we booked him to take us to the Salt Mines - you have to go here its fantastic. You have a guided tour. The English tour we went on started around 11am. It takes around half an hour to get there. Don't eat inside the food is awful but there are a couple of nice places just outside. There are around 600 steps- possibly more so take flat shoes. Anything more I can do to help pm me.
Thanks very much Helen thats been very helpful. A taxi sounds a much better idea. no doubt our hotel could arrange that for us :D . it shuts quite early then , presumably because its dark after 3. looks like an early start . we would love to do the salt mines as well but I dont think we

lyn
Hi Lynwestie! It appears that the end of your post is missing. From what we saw it appears that the cheapest taxis are by the bus station which is by the large modern shopping mall-its huge - 3 storeys selling a bit of everything. It would be too much to do the 2 trips on the same day . Although some tour companies do offer them both would be rushed. The salt mines only takes around two and a half hours. Try your best to get there because they're fantastic. I'm sure you'll have a great time, and what a wonderful present.
sorry helen . that should of said we will only get 2 full days + the morning before we go home. Ideally we would like to spend one day Ausvitch then another wondering at our own pace . maybe we could fit the salt mines in on our last day.

lyn
ps. just checked our flight time home and our return flight isnt until 20.30 later than I thought :D so we should get until about 5pm. how far is the airport ??
30 minutes from the centre of Krakow in normal traffic. Costs around 70 zlotys in a taxi.
Direct train to the airport takes 15 minutes, can't remember the cost, but it was no more than a couple of £s.

Public bus to Auschwitz takes about an hour & a half, & again it only costs a few £s.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.