Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Flights to Krakow
160 Posts
Hi, there's lots of information under the "city breaks" section including my report from my trip their over Christmas. I'm sure you will enjoy Krakow.
You'll find that thread HERE. :wink:

Pippy :D
:D Thank you, Pippy and Marriat...Can't wait to see Krakow.
With the cheap flights to Europe,I don't think you will see me for "Dust" this year!
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Hi,

Have booked up to go to Krakow from 2nd Sept - 12th Sept 2006 and really looking forward to it :D

Just want to know having never been to Poland what kind of weather to expect in September and also are Euro's accepted or am I better taking cash out of atm while there in zloty's?

Have booked apartment through 'Apartments in Krakow' and apartment is in Slawkowska Street(think that is the spelling) has anyone stayed here before or know what the area is like?

Thanks

Stephen
:D We walked along there several times and its a good central street that links the Planty to the Main Square area so great for cafes, bars, etc. Quite a long street but great location, should be minutes walk from most things. We took euros but withdrew zlotys from the ATMs as everywhere prices were in zlotys. September should be still quite pleasant weather too so have a great trip! Krakow is great IMO!
Hi finally off to Krakow in August. What is the town centre like for ATM machines does anyone know? Also where is the best place over here to get Zlotys (sp?) echange rate wise M and s? Anywhere but Thomas Cook if my experience with Cyprus pounds was anything to go by.
There are definately a couple of ATMs in the main town square - I think the one we used may have been a German bank. We got a few Zloty from Marks and Spencer, paid for a couple of meals with the credit card and topped up from the ATM.
Just booked flights for November.
Just deciding where to stay.

Requirements

less than 10 min WALK to the nightlife/centre
Min 3 Star
About £50 per room per night with Breakfast.

So Far Rezydent and Chopin look good.

Would welcome any ideas

Martin
Hi Martin

I have merged all the Krakow posts into this topic so you may find some ideas in earlier posts or in our City Breaks forum HERE

luci :wave
Don't stay at the Florian. Booked it off of yourpoland website as it was supposed to be in the centre but was actually almost 2k away from the centre. Cabs and buses are cheap but we didn't want the hassle! unlucky us. Also we wanted a double bed but ended up with a doubled up put you up type thing-don't know if this is normal for Poland but never come across it before. Hotel looked new or just done out but furniture was all Polish MFI type stuff and was already starting to come apart!
Hi
Just returned from a week in Krakow....excellent holiday,
We did the usual tours but we did it by Taxi 300 zlots! about £55 and the driver waited 3 hours! then took us to birkenau.

We did a trip to Zakapane by bus only 90kms but took nearly 2.5 hours because of road works.
This place is a must for walkers , completley different to Krakow. Cost of the bus 15zlots about £2.50 each!

Take sterling and you can change your money eveywhere! we was getting 5.66 zlots to the pound.

Salt mines are worth the visit only 2.5 zlots by bus and about 55 zlots to go on guided tour.

Check the dentist prices while you are there ....worth the flight just for the treatment!

we shall be back!

globe-trotter
Hi,

Has anyone been to the Classic Hotel in Krakow?
whats it like?

Whats the best way to get from the airport to the city centre?

Thanks
Hi
Not stayed at the classic.

We got a taxi from the airport for 60 zlots about £11

ask the driver how much before.

globe-trotter
Thanks for your help.

Whats the best way to do Auschwitz? and how to get there?
Would you pre book?

we go in Novemeber, how do we get to the Auschwitz II camp?

Thanks

Andy
Hi

we did it by getting a fixed price of the taxi driver who stayed with us for the tour then took us to birkenau which is about 3km away. He then waited there, then drove us back to the hotel. its about an hour by taxi he charged us 300zlots which is about £55.
You can do it alot cheaper by tour bus. I think thats about 80zlots. There was 3 of us so i thought i would just pay that bit extra and go by taxi.
globe-trotter
If anyone can assist by posting a review for the Hotel Classic, Krakow, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Many thanks Pippy, would be good to hear peoples reviews on this.

Thanks

Andy
We've booked to go out to Krakow in February. Can anyone recommend any dentists? I do need quite a lot of dental work including surgery and I would like to visit a dentist whilst there to get a quotation for the work I need.

Thanks
Hi there,

Just back from Krakow, was there for 10 days. Had a good time but 10 days far too long definately a long weekend destination. Weather was great, food was great and everthing so cheap. Went to the Wieliczka Salt Mine, Auschwitz-Birkenau and the fantastic local zoo all were brilliant. We used public transport to do all the trips but did not find it easy to get info on times of buses/departure points etc luckily we had purchased a decent guide book before going. You can do organised tours but quite expensive and unfortunately dont bother going to the tourist info offices dotted about as they have next to nothing in English. One thing to buy is the latest copy of 'Karnet' which has some things in it in english.
Also try and take in the Krakow Tour Bus which you can hop on/off all day.

Never had a bad meal-food was really good. All the restaurant/bars we went into were great including The Bull Pub,Nic Nowego, Poz Zlota Pipa, Sioux Steak House, Piccolo Mondo, Restaurant Wierzynek and Pod Krzyzykiem to name a few and then there is lots more great places in the Jewish quarter.

Only downside to the holiday was that I found a lot of the polish people were quite ignorant/arrogant and never crack a smile. Have travelled to other countries where the locals dont know much(if any) english and i dont know much of theirs but through a lot of pointing and hand gestures you get there with a few laughs thrown in.....but no chance here in krakow....they look at you as if you have horns coming out your head. One last point was that there is quite a lot of begging(from young to old) in the streets and also coming up to your table while your eating.

Certainly would say go if you get a chance but only for a long weekend. Also, get used to getting stared at and not seeing a smile on anyones face.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.