Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
This is the site that you need . . . . LearningThai .com

One of the problems is that the language is tonal so if you use an incorrect tone then a word has an entirely different meaning. I'd say that a receptionist in a good hotel has more experience of listening to visitors attempt Thai than a waiter and so they would be better at deciphering what was said.

I'm pretty bad at Thai - I only got a 'C' in French 'O' level years ago, so I was never much of a linguist, but I still have problems if I speak to someone who isn't used to hearing foreigners attempt Thai. Most Thais are happy when you try to speak their language and they'll go out of their way to give you a few bits of vocabulary etc.

It'd be rare if they thought that a visitor attempting to sepak their language was an insult. But I guess if they are working in a busy restaurant they'd rther get your order written and be away than give a language class. :lol:
thanks for the website - have saved it to favourites. I did know about the tones and that must make it so difficult to learn the language. Re the incident in the restaurant- it was actually almost empty as there had been a huge downpour and the roads were rivers. Maybe she was just having a bad day! It was then that we had been told that Thais in the service industry expect you to speak in your own language.
Hi
You should always learn the basics when you are travelling abroad in any language. I get embarressed when I see fellow brits talking to everyone in english and expecting a response.
The Thai people are very friendly indeed and all of them without exception will be so appreciative of any attempt to speak their language.
The best tip that I have which I found out when I was in Thailand was to learn to count in Thai. You have to haggle in the markets and if you can haggle in the Thai language then you will get the goods at a fraction of the price compared to if you haggle in english. It is a difficult language to learn but the benefits of learning just a little will justify your efforts.
bwiiian
Welcome to HT! Thanks for that- I do actually remind myself of numbers and a few basic phrases. (very basic!!)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.