Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Limone in June
7 Posts
Hi- Limone is beautiful, we stayed there a few years ago and I would go back there like a shot. It's also very hilly- some of the hotels seem to be built on a sheer cliff face- but they must have great views. We stayed right next to the (old) landing stage- a bit noisy, but very atmospheric! The streets are really narrow in the old part of town. Lots of nice bars and eating places, prettily lit up at night- a lot of tours come from other resorts at night time. The lake is so much bigger than we imagined- it would take all day to get by boat to the southern end, stroll around for an hour and come back, so we never actually made it that far. We went to Malcesne over the lake- that is a lovely town too, a bit bigger than Limone, nice castle with fantastic views. Also took the ferry to Riva, but didn't like that as much. We went with Archer's, did one of their trips to Verona. It was very busy and hot, it was a relief to find a quiet cool shady area by the cathedral. We also went on a trip to Milan, but wouldn't recommend it- it was too far. We would have liked to go to Garda and Sirmione, both looked lovely. Hope you enjoy the holiday.
Hi

Limone - beautiful! It is a really stunning resort - you'll have a superb time.

We've stayed at Riva twice in the past and this year (yeah) we're going to Bardolino for a week and then staying in Riva for a week. I must admit, we did toy with the idea of Limone, but as we were trying an unknown resort (Bardolino) we thought we'd have a week somewhere that we knew we'd like for a stay.

Having said that - Limone - stunning, romantic, real Italy -----

The best way to get around the lake is via the boat / ferries . These are really easy to sort and very frequent. You can go anywhere and it doesn't cost a fortune. We've also used the buses - if I remember right you have to get your ticket in advance from travel shops but that was really easy as well and the buses reliable and cheap.

If you get the chance go to Malcesine - stunning and loads to do - ooozing with charm and history. Riva is wonderful too with a pretty quay side right by where the ferries dock. Sirmione is at the end of the lake but is well worth a visit ------- I could go on and on and on .

We also went to Verona, to the Opera. Now we both hate Opera but it is worth going for the experience and the atmosphere - it is really stunning and we both thoroughly enjoyed it ---- I even cried when they died at the end ( or was that the stone steps affter 2 / 3 hours ?). Even if you think you'd rather watch paint dry, give it a go ----- just for the experience.

As, with all holidays it's cheaper to sort these trips on your own. There are plenty of travel agents selling trips etc. They'll pick you up at your hotel / joining point.

Regrding time - I think that it's only about 20 mins on a boat from Limone to Riva / Tobole ... to Malcesine about 10 minutes across the lake. Sirmione is a longer journey - the lake is 30 miles long so its over an hour - but stunning!

Could go on and on and on ..... I recently remarked that Lake Garda is one of the places I'd go and feel happy to find my own way around and book my own transport. Like you, we've seen driving in Southern Italy and hubby decided that he's rather have all his teeth out than attempt that................................

Have a great time
....we're following in August ------yeah

:wink:
Thanks for the prompt replies. After reading your replies we are now happy that we have chosen a resort which should please us and provide some nice photos.

We shall hopefully take the ferries and buses and see more of the area, although what we can see in a week I do not know. One trip we want to go on is Venice although it could be a long day out, can you remember if the local travel agents go there? Another trip we had not thought about was the opera in Verona, we might just try that one as well as you say "a experience".

Can you walk to Riva at the side of the lake or other resorts? We enjoy walking and a few miles would be no problem (unless it's too hot or wet)

Thanks
Hi

Glad to be of help

Walking to Riva could be a problem - they have huge tunnels through the moutains so I wouldn't recommend walking through them - don't know if there is a pavement!

The boats are by far the best way to travel - it is simply stunning to sit and watch the views as you arrive - sooooo relaxing. Like we said the buses are really good. We do know that there is a lovely walk from Riva town across the side of the lake round to Torbole - a few miles. The view is stunning and it is easy walking even at the height of the sun in August.
It takes you by the side of the lake, past water falls and streams etc into Torbole itself - quaint - and with a superb breeze.

(PS You'll find that at teh Northern end of the lake there is a special breeze that comes up the lake mid morning - the wind surfers love it - but it is superb if you need to chill out ---the best time to walk is after mid day when it is much more refreshing) Then again, we went in August.

Venice - it's a long way but I would have thought that you could book it via a local travel agent. They speak excellent English and German. We did a Cosmos holiday via a coach and travelled from Lido de Jesolo to to Lake Garda - it took hours - and we know that Lido is close to Venice.
At the end of the day - of you haven't done it - go!! The locals will be only too happy to help ...

Go on, try the Opera ---------------------- take a torch, a cushion, and a lighter for the little candles they give out before the performance. Oh and tissues incase the dramatic ending ........... or stone steps .......... get to you by 12 midnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verona itself is lovely - Romeo and Juliet's balcony etc etc

Have a good 'un

Us Prestos
As Presto said, Riva would be a very difficult walk, but there are places around you can walk to, particularly the olive oil "factory" up in the hills behind, and for quite a way along the lake. No other resorts though- part of its charm is that it is a bit isolated and surrounded by mountains.
The tour operator we went with did day trips to Venice, quite an early start. We had to go across the lake to Malcesine to pick up the coach for our trips, but that could have been because the road link to Riva was closed by a landslide at the time.
Thanks for your information, I'm sure it will come in handy for when we get there.

Our only concern now is how good the hotel is. After reading the reports of the resort and surrounding towns which all say excellent, and all the hotels in Limone saying excellent or very good, I notice that the one we are staying in got a poor report (or should I say for the food), although the last hotel report was a couple of years ago, hopefully that as changed. If not it sounds like we have a good choice of restaurants to pick from.

Well our tickets have arrived, so now it's just a matter of wait and see.........3 weeks and counting :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.