Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
the evening entertainment was inside,downstairs.it was flooded for 4 days after the flash floods last week but is ok again.u wont need a cardigan.if u were to need one it would cost next to nothing anyway.we were also self catering.there was a place nearby called friends steakhouse that was really good for breakfast as well as lunch.the a la carte resturant in the hotel was really good as well.65 levs for 4 of us,2 courses and a drink.to be honest i found everywhere we ate was really good except a place called happy grill.but that is only my opinion.the waiting staff everywhere are always really nice and helpful.i usually go self catering to spain and would say food is better in sunny beach.also cheaper.we found we spent about a third less it total tor the whole holiday...hope this helps...charlie
Thanks Charlie, I like to be a little organised.
Just got back on Friday (haven't had a chance to do a report yet). So a quicky for now :shock:

We had a week at the Majestic and I would agree with a lot that has been said already. We had a few niggles but nothing that would spoil the holiday apart from the Mozzies :shock:

The pools are great (but a little on the cold side) the rooms are nice and the hotel looks impressive from a distance. However, I agree that there is already signs of wear and tear in the hotel and my husband noticed that the workmanship wasn't very good in some places - they will need to keep on top of this otherwise the hotel will deteriorate quickly. There was water damage in both our room and our kids room and while there had been an attempt to correct ours with paint our boys room did not look so good. We were on the 4th floor (wouldn't of course spoil the holiday though).

We had friends that were on the 10th floor and while they had a really good maid, ours was just adequate. We were HB and were disappointed that we could not get a drink in the evening with our meal (not even water) unless we bought them. The food on the whole was pretty good considering how many people they catered for (breakfast being the favourite).

On the last 2 nights of our holiday there was thousands of mozzies and I mean thousands so please go prepared. I have never in all my travels seen so many. Everyone you passed was slapping and waving around as soon as it turned dusk. One unfortunate lady on our plane was so swollen with bites that she could barely walk and apparently was in a bad way with breathing difficulties etc so an ambulance was waiting for her on landing.

We tried to get a room for a late checkout but they had none so we put our name on a list for a half hour slot and this worked ok but was a little bit of a rush. It is 10lev per hour if you do manage to get one.

Oh another thing the cocktails in the cocktail bar werent very strong - we should know we tried nearly all of them with no effect at all :oops:.

Myself and 2 of my sons had a tattoo done which I have to say have been done very well by friendly clean people.

We had a good holiday, any questions please ask.
First class report Carrie, very fair and most helpful. When you've a minute a review on HERE would be greatly appreciated, please.

Peter
Hi everyone going here in july but cant seem to find any reviews on apartments because they were not properly finished last year or so reports from holidaymakers say. Anyone give any information :?: thanks
On the assumption that the ones you are referring to are in Sunny Beach, we have some reviews here

Peter
Hi Peter thanks for your reply,yes i am asking about the apartments in sunny beach forgot to put that in my message. Yes i have read these reviews but as i said they all appear to be for the hotel and the ones that are for apartments say they were unfinished hence the question posted.
Hi wddeni,

Google brings up a couple of specific references from someone who stayed in the apartments last August, but the only pertinent comment appears to be related to a complaint that there was no mirror in the bathroom, only the bedroom.

As the season's only a week or so underway, there may be some reviews before you go.

Baldur
Many thanks Baldur, sure not having a mirror wont spoil my holiday lol
sure not having a mirror wont spoil my holiday

Nor me, I'd only frighten myself if I looked in it anyway. :wink:
We stayed in the hotel in July last year and are going back in July this year, but into an apartment. So it would be great to hear back from anyone who has stayed in one. Hope we have made the right decision!!!! :?
Hi Carrie when in july are you going?we are the first two weeks flying from Newcastle. The hotel looks lovely so hope the apartments are of the same standards. We have booked a one bedroom apartment for me hubby and two teenage girls.This is the 3rd time we have been to Bulgaria we do love it! tried a hotel and self catering and must say we did prefer the self catering as its so cheap to eat out anyway but you have the space of an apartment as opposed to a hotel bedroom.Cant wait its the 6 week countdown :fly
Does anyone know if there is an iron and ironing board in the rooms of the Majestic apartments? :?
we satayed in the majestic last year , had a 3 person studio for me and the girlfriend, lots of room and very clean .

the room we were in never had an iron or ironing board .

going half - board this year , last 2 weeks in july, heard good reports last year that the food was quite good .
We stayed half board last year and the food was pretty good actually. The only gripe we had is it is like a canteen type atmopshere and if you want a drink with your meal (even water) you have to pay for it.

They cater for all tastes food wise so you should be fine - get there early though as sometimes there was nowhere to sit for breakfast.

Overall though a good holiday. We don't usually go back to the same hotel ever but this is because husband is fishing with a friend and we like it there last year.

If I can help with anything else just ask. :lol:
Staying in this hotel for one week going on Friday, does anyone know if there is a fridge or a kettle in the rooms if you are staying on a half board basis ?
Thanks Julie
Julie i am pretty sure there was a fridge in the room but i can't remember if there was a kettle (we always take a travel kettle anyway as hubby can't do without his morning coffee).
Most unlikely you will find a kettle, even in Bulgarian homes they are not common. We usually take a full-sized cheap one and leave with one of our friends when we come home.

Patka
We are just back from a 2 weeks holiday in SB staying at hotel Majestic. First of all we had a really good time with our two children, aged 10 and 4.
But here are some negative experiences: miserabel and ungrateful bellboy in our hotel, grabbed our bags without asking and then complained about size of tip. The cooking facilities in the apartment were not meant for making meals, very impractical, the fridge was minibar size so could not hold much. No draining board, made washing up difficult. No kettle, although advertised as so. Poolbeds were reserved with towels from early morning, especially around the childrens pool. Notes were put up in the lifts that you are not allowed to do this, but people still did so and nothing was done about it. Our daughter had her hair braided at a stall along the beachwalk. It costed 20 levs and after 2 hours the rubberbands were already breaking and coming undone, so we went back to perhaps get some extra rubberbands, but the woman just blaimed it on the hot sun and didn't want to know and could not understand English anymore. Imagine our daughters disappointment. Took the bus to Burgas on a cloudy day hoping to do some shopping. Well, that was a mistake. Just an ordinary big town with the usual shops, not the bazaars that we were expecting. Still it was only 4 levs on the bus and it was a cloudy day and the kids enjoyed their McDonald`s before we came back to SB. Youngsters handing out leaflets for ex. Aquapark got annoying in the end. Very expensive sun beds on the beach if you use them every day. You are not allowed to put your towels close to the sea, only 4 m behind all the sun beds ( baking hot sand). We noticed coming back home that an attempt had been made to open our Samsonite suitcases, luckily they hadn't worked out the right combination.
Now to the positive experiences: The hotel was very big and clean with friendly staff (apart from bellboy :( ) Pool area was wonderful and our daughter loved it! Very cosy poolbar in the evening serving halfprice cocktails (3.50 levs each) The cleaning ladies cleaned everything all the time, never seen a cleaner hotel :lol: We were lucky to experience a private party at the hotel one evening with a spectacular show a breathtaking fireworks 50 m from our balcony on the 8th floor. We ate at both Djannis and Condor Garden and found both of them to be very reasonable prices and big portions. Meal for 4 with drinks around 30 levs. Although one evening they presented us at Djannis with a bill that was totally wrong (over double the price). When we pointed it out they were very apologetic and changed it immidiately. A word on shopping in SB: DON`T until you have been to Nessebar where the prices are lower and the selection is bigger and the venders are friendlier. And it is much prettier there and reminded us of Greece. (70 stinkis on the bus, watertaxi about 15 levs!!) Use the busservice that runs along the main road through SB every 15 minutes. We discovered the very north end of the beach (past hotel Helena Sands) was much quieter and more informal and we could actually have our towels at waters edge which was great for childrens families. The chicken kebabs are a very filling snack at only 5 levs. Behind Multiplace we went to a supermarket called "Mladost" and the prices were much lower than the Beachwalk supermarkets and it was much bigger and larger variety as well. We didn't see any pickpockets or any tame bear. Things that we brought back with us: t-shirts, belts, bags, watches, shorts, toys, spices, towels, alcohol. The hotel "Animation team" tried their best to entertain everyone and occasionally succeeded. We went to Bingo night and "MisterSister" show, which was an hour of Dragshow fun for families, very enthusiastically performed. As opposed to our experiences in Turkey, we were never hasseled in to buying drinks at the poolside, you could bring your own drinks, great for childrens families.
The bulgarian people seemed to be more western and laid back and friendlier than for example the turks, that we have met. And thats a good reason for us to return to Bulgaria. :lol:
ps. We had wonderful, hot weather all the time. A bit of cloud now and then was only a welcome relief from the hot sun. :fly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.