Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hiya
I see your new to the site. If you go to the top left and click on Hotel reviews, then scroll down to hotel name, you will find reviews from members of HT who have been to the Palm Court. :wave
Thanks for the info, I will have a look on there. That was a really quick reply,

cheers

David
Hi David

Welcome to HT!

As well as the reviews for this hotel, you'll also find discussions HERE and HERE.

Pippy :D
Hi Dave and Pam, welcome to the Malta and Gozo forums, best rule of thumb to apply to The Palm Court is that all that glistens is not gold, if you need any help at all or any info about Malta just ask as there are plenty of good people on here who will always be happy to help you.

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Dave and Pam

Welcome on board :wave

I am sure you would love malta with it's wealth of historical sites and its many other attractions, lovely beaches (to the north of the island) and the very friendly locals.

As for Palm Court you would in all honesty probably want to give this particular hotel a miss, it is know localy as fawlty towers.

Graham
Oh the dreaded Palm Court.I actually feel sorry for the bugs that live in the Palm Court.You get dumps then you get the Palm Court.Need i say anymore.
Malta is gorgeous(cant wait to go again and see the family) and there are some lovely hotels.Take a look at Chevron holidays.

http://www.chevron.co.uk

and as mentioned in an earlier post check out the hotels reviews on this site.
Hi David & Pam,

Choose another hotel!

The Palm Court might have been okay years ago? - but if I tell you that the local Maltese folks refer to this establishment as 'Fawlty Towers' then I think that says it all, except that it's infinitely worse than that from what has already been said on these forums!

I've no doubt that some other folks will post contrary comments but then it's up to you. I'd never stay there,

Trev
Thanks everyone for all your help,

I think we are going to give the Palm court a miss and maybe spend a little more, in fact I think we are going to now go for two weeks because from what I have read on the forums a week won't be long enough to take it all in.

Does anyone remember a place called the 'Happy Bar' , I know its a long shot but I can remember eating Pumkin pie there with my parents when I was younger and wondered if it was still there? I remember it being in a square but thats about all.
A very wise move indeed.
There are so many squares in villages and towns plus the fact that many of the bars have changed their names (a bad luck thing to do!), over the years that it's probable that this place is no longer the Happy bar. We have been going to Malta since the end of the 70s but can't remember spotting this bar.

Glad you're going to stay in another hotel - as Sliema2 has said - a very wise move indeed - as is staying for 2 weeks though even that will pass by before you know it,

Trev
"I would like to visit in mid April or maybe the end of May, I wondered if anyone has any advice on the climate at this time (would it be hot enough to go swimming?) "

temperatures - April 22C, end May 26-28C,and would be unlucky to see anything other than scattered showers. Water temperature only about 20-22C, so just about OK for swimming in, but mostlocals don't start swimming until late June, when sea temp is more like 25C
Thanks for the info on climate and water temp, it sounds great for that time of year.

I managed to ask my parents if they had any memories of the 'Happy bar' and they seem to remember it being in Bugibba and being a Maltese run establishment.

Does anyone know what the glass that is made in Malta is known as?
Hi Busta

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will give you an accurate answer, but I've had a quick look on Google and come up with THIS. Any good?

Malta is well known for it's hand-made glass but that's about all I can tell you :oops:

Pippy :D
The names of the companies making glass are Mdina glass in Malta (as above), and Gozo Glass in Gozo http://www.gozoglass.com/
Gozo glass tends to be, depending on your point of view, either more colourful/tacky - take your pick !
Yeah, thing is Tacky never looks tacky to me untill I get it home !

Thanks for the info on glass , it's all just fuelling our grownig excitment for going and its not even January!
Hi Dave + Pam,

I've just been on the Palm Court website and looked at the photos, and suggest you take a look at them especially the last one showing the indoor plunge pool,

http://www.malta-bargains.com/malta_hotels.asp

Well, if I was going to advertise my hotel I think I'd clean the grot of the side of this plunge pool wouldn't you?

Trev
I have a very vague memory of the 'Happy Bar' and as I remember I think it was located on the street that runs just behind the Primera Hotel near Bugibba Square.

I am sure that it's not there now though.
Hi this is Sue's mum, I know Malta very well In reply to the query about Maltese glass, as well as Mdina glass there is also Mtarfa and Phonecia glass all of which is very beautiful. I have a large collection of Maltese glass having bought my first piece way back in 1981. The best place to buy the glass is at Ta Quali craft village near Mdina . Here you can buy selected seconds at a much reduced price and often it is difficult to see where the fault is. Also you can watch them blow the glass which is very interesting. At Ta Quali you can also watch them making gold and silver filligree jewellery as well as hand made pottery.

Maureen :) :)
busta1 and Kiltman-Graham.

I have drank in quite a few bars around the Buggiba Square (which is a circle) area and can say that I have never seen a bar by the name of Happy Bar in this area?
If it was there then it has either changed names or even useage. The bars behind the Primera Hotel are O'Reillys and one named mono!!!!!! (something) that has karaoke and country music on most of the time.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.