Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Yo, GB100 - when are you going out? I'm flying out St. Patricks day for 2 weeks to play in the sea again, and staying at the Palm Court. Yes, I wouldn't mind staying there permanently if I could afford it. :lol: Paying a bit more this time, £9 a night for DB&B - still bloody good. I doubt that can be topped in a UK place. Especially when I pack away as much as I do at meals... No wonder the chefs call for reinforcements when I appear!! PM me if you wish. Dive safely. http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk 8)
:) Anybody stayed at the Palm Court?
Matla Bargains currently have it on offer AI or HB?
Is it a family orientated hotel - I have a 5yr old girl
BTw
Welcome to HT Donna! You may not have got the info you wanted but you will love this site!
Suggest anywhere else to stay in Sept?
hey i found Palm Court on maltabargains.com but thought i should check out the reviews before booking-pleased i did! my boyfriend and i are planning on going on our first holiday and want somewhere cheap and cheerful, any suggestions? There also has to be stuff to do as we're young and want to make the most of it!
Nina
Sorry I can't help Nina and Donna. I haven't been to Malta. Are you just looking at Malta or are there other possibilities?
Hi Donna & Nina,

Glad you've looked on this site for the Palm Court. If you read the reviews you will get mixed comments. Like Malta itself it seems folks either like or hate the place!

We've been to Malta many times and are confirmed Maltaphiles. We're off for a week next month and again in August for a fortnight. I have to say that generally you will get what you pay for and if you're after something cheap and cheerful don't expect too much. I've visited the Palm Court and unless it's improved since I was last in Malta then I can tell you it's not for us no matter how cheap!!!

After saying that we did have a week in the Regent, one of Maltabargains hotels in Sliema, and would have to say that that for what we paid, although very basic, we did enjoy our stay there. I think the Regent has now been closed down,- pity really because it might have been worth trying.

Although I've never stayed at the Buggiba Holiday Complex, if it's cost your looking at check this one out. We've only been in there as visitors but would certainly consider staying there. If you can afford more, then check out the Coastline and the Fortina, both excellent but different types of hotel.

Don't forget if you go off season when it is quieter there will be a lot of retired folks from the UK. It does rain and can be chilly in the Winter but nowhere near as bad as here in the UK and quite often it's sunny but not hot as it always is in the Summer. If you're younger then you might look for a hotel near St Julians the nightclub centre of the Island.

I hope you do try a holiday on Malta or Gozo. If you do let us all know how it went,

Trev
Hi there :wave "Maltaphiles", come on Trev I much prefer Maltesers :o
On the subject of hotels I think it is best if you read the reviews and make your own mind up, one mans meat etc. Where ever you choose I hope you love Malta like all us Maltesers :wink:
I don't see any problem with the Palm Court. Stayed there 3 times, and now book my next hol while I'm still out there. Flying out in March this year as it happens. Suits me fine as I use it as a diving base. And the food - mmmm, eat as much as you want. No waiter service, so I put a savage dent in the salad bars. (The chef blances when he sees me approaching with empty plate and purposeful expression!) As for family orientated, I don't know. I don't have family, I go to dive, sleep and eat, so I know nothing about the child side of it. :?: It was a bit on the scruffy side, but in December I noticed it's obviously had work done on it and it's a lot nicer than it was. Cheap, cheerful and very good at feeding hungry diving frogs!! PM me if you want more details on what it's like. The pics on the website are OLD ones by the way. Be safe.
Hi

Having had many holidays in Malta when my children were younger, we found the best family accommodation was the Mellieha Bay Hotel through Thomson/Portland Direct. They had an excellent childrens club there, which my kids loved ... the children's reps even took the children for supper in a separate dining area meaning you could eat in peace! However, if you are looking at going before the summer season, I am not sure if the childrens club is available before 1st May. As mentioned previously, the Bugibba Holiday Complex (Thomson again) has good childrens facilities and the Sunseeker Complex (Bugubba) too but, again, the facilities are probably only available in the summer season from 1st May. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Cazz
The Childrens club at the Bugibba Holiday Complex is operated on a year round basis by Thomson Holidays however his is dependent on the n umber of children that are in the hotel at any one time. Thomson reserve the right to suspend the operation of the kids club if there are not enough children staying in the hotel. I think the minimum is 5
Have been to malta 9 times and have stayed at buggiba hol complex twice the second time we told the rep to move us (lots of very large cockroaches) and we were moved to the coastline hotel and i would not stay anywhere else on the island even if it does cost a bit more its worth it. :yikes
Sorry , but this was the worst Hotel I have seen in 35 years of travel
The ingrained dirt, the smell, torn dirty mattresses, dirty pillows under the pillow cases, , understaffed for the number of people staying there, reception areas far too small, a bar that served drink in dirty glasses , ceiling tiles missing, filthy unflushable toilets, broken door handles, broken locks. I could go on for ages. We stayed two nights and then got real value for money elsewhere. Certainly would not give it the rating of a 1950's Army Nissan Hut.

This is a shabby, tired, overworked hotel. it is in desparate need of complete refurbishment. I felt sorry for the staff., having to work in these conditions and the abuse they were receiving from dissapointed holiday makers.

In short a disgrace.
My family stayed at the Palm Court over Christmas. Well actually we moved out within 12 hours of getting there. I am in the process of issuing legal proceedings. Need I say more?
Well, having recently returned from Malta I can tell you that the Palm Court is still very much alive and well. My family stayed there over the Christmas holiday. well actually they stayed for less than 12 hours before insisting on being moved to a different hotel.

We usually enjoy 4 or 5 holidays each year, summer and winter, and I have to say that we have never come across a more disgusting establishment than the Palm Court.

When we arrived there was no running water, bed linen was filthy, our en suite was smeared with execrement, there was a cockroach infestation, there were trailing electrical cables in corridors and most of the food was inedible.

The whole world needs to be warned about this place. I will shortly be issuing proceedings in the County Court.
Hi Peter,

After what you have said I just wonder how much the folks who sing the praises of this disgusting hotel, are paid to post on these forums? Or do they have some vested interest?

I think the whole issue really needs to be looked into for the sake of any other unsuspecting holiday maker that thinks the've got themselves a "bargain!"

Trev
it was a total and utter dump... those who are thinking of going..DONT. youll be so disappointed if you do.

cockroach ridden dive. :shock: :shock:
you know it. absolute disgrace!
we refused to stay there and got moved...to a much nicer hotel, free of charge. theyre obviously used to people reacting like that. absolutely terrible.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.