Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hello Gaz31.
Should you not like the food! there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Prices start at around £2.50 for a Pizza or burger and chips. Local beer can be found at 80p a pint.
:roll: :D ive been to the venus and to palm court and i think both places where clean and up tp standard what do you expect for close to £200 for flight and hotel,try and find a holiday in England for that kind of money the maltese ratting system is not like england but where in med is????.I wish everone would just leave the palm court alone i think anyone going for a nice relaxing holiday and is on a budget please try it out dont expect 5 star fitting but in the end its only some where to base yourself.Oh yes my family lives in malta and i love the island been 18 times and will be going back this year try melihha bay for a sandy beach is lovely so try and see ...... :arrow:
Hi blueboy,

Well said and some good points in what you say. As I've mentioned before, I've used Maltabargains some years ago and stayed at the then Regent in Sliema and was pleased with the holiday for what I paid.

However, although the Palm Court might suite you and you consider it to be value for money I'd be cautious about encouraging people to go there especially if they're expecting something better. I for one would never remotely consider staying at the Palm Court and most people who I've spoken to who have experienced staying there have told me enough to make me keep away. I would rather pay a bit more and be sure I was going to be happy with my hols in Malta and not have to moan all the time about the accomodation,

Trev
Hi all,

Has the procedure for All Inclusive now changed? Do you have to go to reception to order drinks?

Best Wishes
Mark
General consensus seems to be if you pay for a cheap holiday you have to expect the worst. I stayed at Venus (aka Reuben Ct) and used Palm court facilities in 2002. It was not a cheap holiday.

In 2004, I got 2 weeks s/c at Sundown Court, Kappara through low cost beds for £336 pp. I am just back from 2 weeks at Porto Azzurro, Xemxija through Thompson. I paid just £215. If you really do your homework you can get good, clean, decent accommodation without breaking the bank.
Hi Jo,

Well said and yes you are right about doing your homework. I'd like to add that for those folks, unlike you and I, who are not familiar with Malta, they ought to combine their 'homework' with a good look at the opinions given on this forum. If someone out there spots a bargain or what appears to be one then if they ask about the accomodation and/or destination in Malta (without advertising the fact they've spotted a good deal!!), then I'm sure they'll get a promp and honest reply + other info off the 'real' Malta holiday experts that post on this site!

Trev
once again more bad review ive been to the venus and to palm cort and both are clean and all good to stay at for a thrill holiday i would ask for a room over looking the pool only cause i quiet .im going in sept and yes ill be staying there again everyone i spoke to love the place and cant wait to go back i work in a 3 star hotel in england and it cost 150 for 1 night but i can get a weeks holi for that in malta so dont expect the ritz.well ill be going back really cant wait so please look at the good pointsssssssssssss.... :oops: :x
Hi blueboy,

Each to his own. It's just that folks from the UK generally do expect a higher standard these days and as you know 3star in Malta isn't 3star in the UK. What amazes me is that there is such a variation between 3star hotels in Malta. There are some such as the Marina :yipee in Sliema which I've stayed at and quite liked and yes I would stay there again without hesitation. But there are others that I would avoid! :no

When I visited Malta some 25years ago, believe me things weren't like they are today. There were very few luxury hotels, and generally accomodation tended to be sparse, no air conditioning - but clean! 8) I can remember that sometimes fresh food commodities could run out until a further shipment arrived and some days the water was turned off to preserve the supply. Relative to the UK buying food and drink we're ultra cheap. :glynis It was also amazing to see so many really old cars in excellent condition, that we're long since obslete in our Country and the buses in those days were painted green not yellow as they are today. For a few pence a man served red hot pieces of pizza from a 'hole' in the wall up a back alley in Sliema and if you asked in a shop for a packet of 'maltesers' the locals would think you were taking the mick! :whoops

How different things are today. I think it's the experience I had of Malta in those days that made me want to keep returning. I sometimes wonder whether the Palm Court would have raised a mention in those days? :hmmm

I wonder if in 25 years time someone will write something about the good old days when they used to visit Malta in 2006?? :bow Just a thought!

Trev
thanks for your reply oh yes i forgot to say i am half maltese and my family still live there i have been there 18 times and love the place :twisted: but i wish people wouldnt keep going on about the palm court what does 200 pounds buy in england not alot that is so if people stop moaning and open there eyes i think the palm cort is great to base yourself....Yes malta has changed :shock: since ive been going there but i think they need a change my family out there dont like change but but for tourist it all all good if people want to moan tell them to pay 500 600 pounds and pay for one of the 5 star hotels but im sure they still find something to maon about :arrow: :pele
Hi blueboy522,

I had an idea that you were connected in some way to Malta. Of course you are right about what £200 buys hotelwise in the UK. I have also visited Malta a lot over the years and it has often been said by Maltese folks that they can't afford to visit the UK because of the cost of the hotels here!

If folks from Malta are after a cheaper alternative to the expensive hotels and they want to holiday in the nicer rural parts of the UK or on the coast, can I suggest hiring a holiday home (caravan). :wink: The cost per week should be about £300 - £400 but that would be for a self-catering caravan that would sleep up to 6 people. The only other cost would then be air fare and other transport. Oh and by the way we have a holiday caravan and I can tell you that these days they are really well appointed. :pele

You're also right about Brits finding something to moan about on hols. :shock: I really can't remember ever going anywhere and not hearing someone from back home finding something to moan about - even in the most exclusive hotels!!

Regarding change there are lots of people of folks especially older folks here that are exactly the same. :tut However, nothing ever stands still and sometimes things don't always change for the better,

Trev
On a lighterr note, i stayed there about 7 years ago. After the bar closed, and I had supped a few jars of brandy, I was on my way to my room and saw the pool cleaners respirator (gas mask) hanging over the bannister.
I put it on and went back to the pool area and shouted in my best German accent, "Who says zat ziss place shtinks?".

It raised a bit of a chuckle. Something to remember it by, anyway.

:wink: :wink:
Hi could any one tell me if the palm court hotel have self catering rooms?
we have booked HB but realy like self catering. i booked this befor reading any of the reports !!!! well we are going to give it a go and any ifo on what the rooms are like would be great.
Im sure Palm Court doesnt have self catering rooms at all.
Not being funny why book h/b when you actually prefer s/c even if you hadnt read any of the reviews.
Simple answer dont eat there,there are plenty of nice places to eat out in Malta or you could actually try the food in the Palm Court and see if you do like it.
Well what more can you say :shock:
When we have been in Malta we have walked past the Palm Court a few times and it always looks very busy,but have actually gone in a couple of times as well to have a nosey.Obviously a very cheap holiday overides comfort and basic cleanliness for alot of families or they have no standards at all.
I dont mind basic at all on holiday,but there is basic and theres the Palm Court which doesnt even warrant a 1 star let alone a 3.
The Palm Court in my opinion should be knocked down as its giving Malta a very bad name indeed.
Sliema2 "www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=238959 sounds nice not yuk "

was that the letter about the hotel ? I read it this morning, but it seems to have disappeared from the website !
going to palm court/venus hotel in august can someone please tell me what time breakfast is served and also the evening meal. :D
I would'nt call it 'evening meal'
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.