Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
The Palm Court Hotel and indeed Malta Bargains have had extremely bad reviews for a long while now so I am wondering what you were expecting. The hotel ratings in Malta do not always mean very much so even though this was supposed to be a 3 star I don't think you should assume that is what it will be.

Judging by what I have seen on the Malta Bargains web site - the Palm Court is very cheap - probably too cheap. It could be a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

I know it's not much help now but sites like this and other reveiw sites really are worth searching out before you book anything.

Pippa
pippa,

i understand is was very cheap, and i was expecting basic, clean accommodation, but i did expect a clean bed, and friendly staff.

i found malta lovely, but this hotel was the pits.

i never read the reviews prior to booking.

any help, ?
Hi brad121. I see that you wrote

"we had a awful next few weeks, and when we got home.... "

and am wondering why you chose to stay so long in such a bad hotel.

Was there no way of contacting a rep whilst you were there? Did you put your complaints in writing to the hotel, if there was no rep available? Have you got photographs of the stained sheets, grotty bathroom etc etc? All of the above will help if you are looking for compensation.
Sorry that you had a bad experience in Malta.

I agree with Pippa's comments. The hotel has quite a reputation and has for some years been advertised by Malta Bargains at an unbelievable price. If the advertised price looks too good to be true - it often will be. Buyer beware!

I remember working out the price of a holiday at the Palm Court a year or so ago after reading a complaint on the forum and looking at the price on the Malta Bargains web site. They offered AI at the hotel at the time and after taking off the flight price and allowing for transfers, rep service etc, I think the daily food and drinks portion of the holiday worked out at about £8.00 per person per day. I doubt that the hotelier could provide much with such a small food & beverage charge.

I think it would be worth writing to the tour operator detailing your complaints, but you might have chalk this one down to experience - the down side to a "cheap" holiday that perhaps was not the Malta Bargain it seemed.
You may also wish to write a review in our review section by clicking on the following link:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/malta/qawra/palm-court-hotel/

Mark :D
hi everyone,

I saw the palm court in the newspaper, and phoned and got a price, it was fantastic, i booked, because i could not afford much better.

I booked 2 weeks, and after the 1st day i asked to be moved, malta bargains didnt want to know, so i phoned oher hotels and they wanted about 400 pounds, so i never moved.

I will definately check on this website before i book, i expected basic for that money, but it was terrible.

any advice?
I'm afraid that, where this company is concerned you might as well put it down to a bad experience and learn your lesson from it.
hi,

i agree, the company was friendly enough when i booked, but as soon as i was there, the reps couldnt care less, and when i tried to complain ( when i got home) they were very rude.
I think this is one you will just have to put down to experiance :( and in future where ever possible try and at least get some information prior to booking a hotel.

The issues at Palm Court have been going on for so long on both this site, and many other holiday review websites that information on this hotel is easily obtained.
Unfortunately when you go abroad, what they class accomodation as a 3star, may only be classed as a 1star in England. We booked through Thomas Cook last year, booked a 3star in their Sunset brochure....................we wouldnt have given it 1 at the most :shock: So sorry you had bad accomodation on your holiday, really spoils your holiday doesnt it..... :evil:
That's where sites like this and others really come into their own.

I know that what some people regard as trash others regard as treasure but if you look at the reviews and then weigh up the good against the bad and really do your homework before you book then hopefully (although of course there are exceptions to the rule) you should have a good holiday.

We don't normally book a hotel less than 4 stars although we have used a lovely little hotel in Samos which was only 2 stars (remember Greece is fairly basic anyway) and a fantastic 3 star hotel in Cala Bona, Majorca which was better than many 4 star hotels. Both of these hotels did have very good reviews otherwise we wouldn't have booked them.

We are now into booking apartments owned privately which of course do not generally have reviews. In that situation you have to trust the person who owns the apartment and make sure that the area is for you.

Pippa
Pippa, a lot more people are now doing DIY holidays. Word of mouth is the best way to book your holidays-at least you should know what to expect. :roll: Brochures do state however, quite clearly, that their system abroad for "starring" a property in their country, to how we would "star" a property, differs greatly, so we shouldnt really be that suprised. We actually know people who have stayed in the apts we are going to next year, and they all gave it :tup so we should be okay. Does ruin your holiday if you arent satisfied, though. :(
Hi everyone,

at the time i booked i had not discovered this fantastic website!

the lady on the phone ( this is when i booked) said it had been re-furbished and sounded good, so booked at the speer of the moment.

i now check all reviews before i book, and go for 3* +

I advise everyone to not book this hotel, even being half the price of other 3 stars in malta.

brad121
Hi, I really pity you. A couple of years ago, I booked for the sister hotel, Reuben Court. It seemed a bargain, just over £700 for 4 adults and 3 children at the end of September. I didn't expect luxury for the money, but what I DID expect was basic cleanliness, clean sheets, clean utensils and a fridge that wasn't frozen together!! We had really bad storms while we were there and rainwater was running down the inside wall of the apartment, right next to electrical lights and power points! The corridor outside the appartment was not cleaned once in 7 days. There were 2 lifts that were frequently broken and when we had the storms, again rainwater cascaded down the lift shaft! I complained to the rep at the time and then when I came home consulted a no win no fee Solicitor that a site similar to this put me in touch with. Originally, I was told that it was not likely that I would win, however within a week of receiving my letter saying this from the solicitor, I received a telephone message saying the cheque was in the post. I actually received just under £300. This was getting on for 50% of the original cost, so I think this was a good outcome. I would NOT let my dog stay at this Hotel. Be warned!! :roll:
sorry about your awful stay in plam court.if you had gone to valletta and ask for the malta tourism authority you could have complaint and i an sure that the next day there staff will have gone and seen about your complaint.the TOURISM AUTHORITY are always ready to help about the complaints.i had a very big complaint with malta bargains about my holiday in england and i got nothing back,it was not a cheap holiday(2flats only for 1 week 1150 stg)
I have just came from a disgraceful stay at the palm court :( we went with our family and my sisters room smelt of mould! and had mould growing up the wall we asked to be moved but the other rooms smelt worse! the air conditioning didnt work. and on the last day we discoverd that some of our jewlery had been taken and it was in a safety deposite box, that was always locked so some workers will have some nice jewlery! The maid left our door open several times and when we rang to complain they made us ring malta and then told us it was all our fault!!!!
Be warned! :evil:
Hi. I probably am late for this thread, but I want to post a different perspective on Malta Bargains and Palm Court service at Qawra.

My girlfriend and I stayed there in August 2004 and we had no real problems to speak of. Only one minor issue. I did want to watch a TV update on the Athens Olympics running during our holiday, and found initially the antenna cable was not working. After a couple of times fronting up to reception, it was fixed, but the reception via the Italian network via Sicily was lousy anyway and their choice of programming seemed to concentrate on the fencing bouts.

Of course the architecture is basic and the fittings and finish in the rooms is "tired", but we never had a problem with clean sheets or replacement clean towels and the maid service actually happened each day. The airconditioner worked and there was enough hot water. We personally had no criticism of the food either. Although it was basic and robust fare, there was variety and enough of it to meet most appetites.

We felt we got value for money and fully made the most of each day, enjoying Malta immensely. It wouldn't take much to get me back there.

I did notice some complaining guests at reception, but the staff were always polite - it was the complainers who were rude. The staff were also well dressed and they seemed to be run off their feet without losing their cool.

So I guess whatever trials other holidaymakers suffered, we seemed to slip under the radar on this one.

Cheers,

Andy
I too am late into this.

It seems Malta Bargains are pretty hit and miss with quality.

When I was at Reuben Court (5 am 19 June -0:00 26 June 2004) it was clean. Ok so you couldn't use the cooker, but you could use the fridge.

But surely they shall be trying more during and just before the tourist season.

Oh and our rep there was pretty friendly too.
Lets face it - you generally get what you pay for in life.

Time after time I see complaints about this place. Come on, the prices are untrue - theres no way you could expect to be staying in the Ritz.

Do yourselves a favour and don't book here. If you do, and you've paid bottom dollar then for Gordon Bennets sake don't come on here moaning that its not upto scratch. Its you own fault.

Do I make sense >?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.