Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Mobile Phones
12 Posts
Hi Neil

We were in PEK in February and although our O2 phones registered when we arrived the service was shocking and we could only phone or send a text only about twice during our stay as they just wouldn't work properly.
Thanks KM

It would appear to be the case for them aswell, although they are in Y Ham they too cannot get a signal for most of the day.

Peace and quiet I suppose :cheers

Neil
Hi Neil,

02 is recognised out in Tunisia they have 2 network providers out there, but has he had his international calling bar been lifted by calling his service provider.

Angie.
Thanks Angie

I am not sure, cant get in touch to ask either!!!! :rofl

oh well he will know for the next time.

Neil
Hi Neil,

Lesson learned for the next time he travels abroad then. :rofl

Angie.
Angie is right if you dont get the call barring off your phone then you cant call. I made that mistake in Turkey lol last year
has he had his international calling bar been lifted by calling his service provider

Our international calling was activated and o2 did work very sporadically so we could make a very occasional call or send / receive a text, for some reason texts did like to work during the night so if you left the sound on on the phone you got woken up by them coming in :duh

Strangely on occasions my wife's Samsung phone would work and my LG wouldn't or vice versa even when standing next to each other. definitely the worst country we have been to for problems with mobile phones.

Graham
Hi Folks

Spoke with him today on the Hotel phone(£££££), he has the barring lifted but still only gets a signal sporadically and for a short time( not long enough to send a text).

Most people in the Hotel have the same problem, obviously just unlucky with their choice of location.

Still they are enjoying the peace and quiet.

Neil

How did we ever survive without mobile phones????
Best solution is to take an unlocked phone with you, buy a Tunisiana SIM and use that. Calls to Uk are far cheaper than using roaming. I used O2 all around Tunisia with no problems for 3 consecutive year's holidays, never visited YH though.
Kevin
I second that Kevin: I've had one for the past 3 years and it's saved me a fortune.
Just remebered another tip we always use that halves the cost of sending a text from Tunisia, instead of sending a normal SMS text message which cost us as I recall 49p per text on o2, attach a picture to it if you can and send it as a MMS text which reduces the cost down to 24p per text.

This works for most countries and lets you send cheaper texts and depending on your phone package perhaps even free as it was for us in Malta a few weeks ago :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.