America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
mobile phones
10 Posts
I have no idea whether you can buy 'SIMs only' in the US. However, you can get a prepay cellphone from (say) WalMart for $15 or so which will include $10 call credit. With calls at 10c a minute thats an economical way to do it.
Make sure your phones are quad band or they wont work at all.
Tri band are OK for the States.
Thank you all, i think we will go down the buy at walmart route.

As we may be in New York at christmas and Vegas next year. So we can use them then as well.
Just one word about prepay phones from Walmart. Until you've put $100 credit on it, the credit only lasts for 30 days, after whcih you lose it; after 90 days they delete your number. if you're going to use it over and over in the USA, either log on via the providers website and bung $10 on it every few months, or buy a $100 dollar credit up front. It's usually a better deal ( more time for your $) AND your number doesn't expire, and the cresit lasts a full 12 months.
No point putting a $100 on a phone your only gonna use a few times. In the past I have purchased a $10 phone from Walmart put credit on it when and if I have needed it. When I next returned its another $10 phone agian.
Hey guys,
Whilst this subject is up and running I would like to ask something.
We are going to FL in may for 2 weeks and my daughter would like to keep using her Virgin Mobile contract phone. She uses Windows Live Messenger constantly as it is easier to keep in contact with her friends, this is part of her blackberry so would it charge her extra? (Sorry for not making sence I have no clue with technology now a days!)

CourtneeLouise
She should check with Virgin what their roaming charges are as her contract is probably for calls within the UK. You should be able to check on their website.

If she is using data to use Live Messenger then be aware that rates are normally very high for roaming at around £8 per MB.

luci :wave
I made the mistake of using my Internet whilst I was in the states around 6 months ago. Only used it for around 20 mins a day or so just checking Facebook and emails, let's just say I had a big crash back down to earth when I got home to find a £250 phone bill!! Be very careful!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.