Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
hotels
100 Posts
Dont bother staying at the Apollo Hotel. Really dirty and the bottled water was not sealed.
There are two Apollo Hotels in Mumbai.

I stayed in the 5 star hotel (April 2005) and it was very nice, water bottles were always sealed.

However, scaffolding was outside the building and I saw once cockroach in the bedroom which freaked me out.

Other than that, the hotel room was well nice.
Thanks to everyone for info
Has anyone used the airport lounge in Mumbai, and does it have a smoking area.

Lin
Hi Lin - nice to talk to a "fellow" women of kent or is it a kentish women - being from Deal myself - anyway - Mumbai airport is fine if you are passing through on the way to goa as you don`t stop at the international as you are bused straight through to the internal airport and so yes you will find somewhere to smoke but if you are departing from the international airport then you do have more interesting options open such as paying a little extra - sometimes included with the flight - to enter one of the executive lounges which are v.good and allow smoking in some areas.hope this helps - if not - have your ticket with you and ask the Friendly policeman if you can step outside for a quick drag! Brian. :P
Hi BAM, not sure what i am, Woman of Kent sounds good, thanks for your reply, I have around 3 1/2 hrs between flights, and the lounge wont be extra, but if it didnt have a smoking room, I probably wouldn't use it. Not P.C these days I know, but better to be forewarned
For anyone interested - the Independent online edition 10 september published 48 hours in Mumbai. Very good information if you want to spend a couple of days there.
Do you have a link ?
http://www.independent.co.uk Type in Mumbai in search box on the right and scroll down
Smoking in a public place in India is now banned, and they are taking this seriously in the airport. You used to be able to smoke despite the no smoking signs, but not anymore. The only place to smoke in the domestic airport is in the restaurant on the first floor. If you travel business class you get complimentary snacks in this restaurant, but its open to everybody. The masala dosas are excellent, its always the first thing we order. Bit pricey after the plantain leaf but better value than most airports.
Just a word of warning to anyone planning to go to Ganpatiphule - the virgin beach near Mumbai.
Don't even consider staying at Abhishek beach resort! - We had a free booking there thru BPL, took one look at it, and ran away searching for alternatives. the MTDC resort is the best - both location wise (right next to the beach), amenities wise adn gives value for money.
Hi need a decent hotel up to £30 per night in the Colaba region of Mumbai. I understand some of these hotels include transport from the airport...?

Also, given that we dont know when we will be going, what will be the best way to book, do it whilst we are in goa before we travel or just turn up there..

any advice ?
We stayed in the Diplomat Hotel a couple of years ago and it was fine. It's right behind the Taj Hotel and right in the area you are looking at Just type in Diplomat Hotel Mumbai in Google and you will be spoiled for choice We tend to book in advance as once you go beyond this grade of hotel the prices start soaring. Sorry I cant comment on airport transfers but the taxis are dirt cheap for the transfer in from theairport
:D hi gooner we stayed at the seapalace hotel which is right next to the taj hotel and its right on the sea front, this is a brilliant hotel the rooms are massive!! and well clean and to the left across the room about 200yrds is the gateway to india, the view from your window in the mornings is very eerie as theres a kind of mist over the sea that when it lifts you see the naval college and all the boats a real good hotel when i go to mumbai in august i will be staying there no probs :-)) maggoeomx :D
:D we went with daytrippers so it was all in but im doing it on speck when i go, there was loads of rooms empty, :D
Hi, I intend flying out scheduled flights from Manchesdter to Mumbai then a train to Goa, can anyone offer advice please on best practice in Mumbai? eg from airport to station, need to book tickets from UK ? Best train to take, Best class to take, best transfer from Goa station to Candolim any do's and don'ts etc etc. I've flown Mumbai to Goa before but fancied a change ! Any advice appreciated !
Regards :?:
Johnny G
Hello Johnny, how long do you have to spend in India ? if its only 2 weeks then i would give the train a miss. I travelled from Mumbai to Goa on the overnight sleeper bus (14 hours) and found it to be pretty good, a lot less hassle than trying to que up for a ticket at Mumbai station. There is a pre paid taxi stand at the airport, but remember it is about 18 miles outside Mumbai.
What we did was to get a taxi to Colaba and ask for shellys hotel http://www.shelleyshotel.com/index.htm (you can book here) stay for a few days, have a look around then get the bus down to Goa (about 600rps) overnight. When you book a bus ask if it is bunks or recliners, get the bunk ones as the recliners are crap lol.
Must say the trains are an experience and a half (all good) apart from the chaos in the Stations, and i would travel 2nd class a/c if you have the option, hope this helps a little :)
Many thanks for the feedback and advice. a lots happened since I posted this am. Got in touch with my travel agent and booked 3 weeks flight only dept 8th dec £199 couldn't believe it with Monarch even had upgrade available each way total £299. :D Had intended going for 6 weeks but will get back out there end Jan for another spell. Yes have done train trip before last year to Hampi, good trip! Not done sleepers yet but might try next time Mumbai/Goa.
Regards, Johnny G
I wonder if any of you seasoned India travellers could give me some advise please?

My daughter and her husband have booked flights to Mumbai for 31st July and intend spending 5 weeks in India (she knows its the rainy season) can anyone suggest whether they should head North or South?

Thanks
  • Edited by McBabe 2006-08-03 07:48:39
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.