America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Thanks Joolz :D

Sounds as though you had a great holiday!

Is your hotel listed on the reviews page HERE?
I've had a look and I don't think it is. If not, would you mind posting the details so I can ask for it to be added please?

Many Thanks.

Pippy :D
Pippy,

The hotel is not listed its;

New York Hilton Hotel and Towers. 1335 The Avenue Of Americas (6th avenue) New York 10019-6078.

Telephone - (212) 586-7000.

Hope this helps!

Joolz :wink:
Oh Glad you had a good time. We are just back from NY as well and we loved it.

JaimeC :wave
JamieC

Was great wasnt it? What did you enjoy the most? And the worst?

Apart from standing at the top of the ESB I would have to say the night tour on the open top bus! It was blinking freezing but the views were amazing over the bridge - didnt look down to much when we were crossing - it looked an awful long way down - I closed my eyes!! The tour guide had us in stitches.

The worst for me was Macys/Bloomingdales - the shops would be great if you could actually move!! Plus with all our woolies on it was boiling once inside! Glad I didnt go any nearer Thanksgiving - I bet its heaving then.

Cheers :tup

I'll request it be added.

Thanks for your review - very useful. We go next Friday and yes we know it is Thanksgiving the day before. Expecting the crowds but hope it doesn't spoil our first visit.

We are just about to book the 48hr bus tour so it was good to learn that it is worth doing. Also we have booked an evening boat trip with a meal.

Anything further to tell us?
Carrie,

You can book the tour on the street - loads of guys in red jackets selling them - you can pay by card as they have a portable machine. Defo good fun and great to get on and off to save your legs!

Go to the ESB in the morning - no queues - I did buy my tickets over the net - which was good as we bypassed the ticket payment queue.

Go to the Top Of The Rock to see the view of the ESB as well as everything else - we went at sunset and it got busy as we were leaving at about 5.15pm. Get BOGOF tickets by going past TKTS booth - the guys give them out there.

Staton Ferry - FREE - you get a great view sat on the right - no need to pay for a cruise if all you want to see is SOL - you get a good view of her and a great shot of the coast line.

Taxi from the airport is $45 plus toll and tip - approx $55 in total. Be aware this is a set fee but on returning to the airport the taxi meter will be running and could cost a lot more than $60. We asked at our hotel and we took the 'airlink' shuttle bus - we were picked up from our hotel and it cost $20 each.

Be warned there is a lot of building work and road works - so it takes forever to get from the airport - it took us almost one and half hours!!! So ensure you leave that much going back for your flight - in the end it took 55 mins going back but its best to be safe.

Any other questions - please feel free to ask!

If you'd like to post a review Joolz, please do so HERE.

Many Thanks.

CArrie....here is my trip report from earlier in the month.... http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=57771

IF you have any questions give me a shout.

Have to say the best thing in NY is EVERYTHING! We both loved it all, the buzz at night is amazing, Times Square is brill.

Worst as well is Macys and Bloomingdales...bunged and roasting....still didn't stop my credit card being battered though :lol:

Hope this helps
JAimeC :wave
Thank you very much. We are staying near the Empire State Building do you happen to know how far away the Greyline Bus Tour stop is? We have booked a 48hr pass which we thought was best to like you say, save our legs.

The taxi sounds expensive - we have already booked a lift on arrival through Expedia I think for around £9 each perhaps it's wise then to book it going back before we leave the UK - what would you suggest?

We have rougly around 3 whole days there which doesn't sound enough with everything there is to do. :shock:

We were hoping to get a few gifts to take back but sounds as if this may be difficult with the shop situation.

Did anyone ice skate while they were there or take the carriage in Central Park?

Thanks everso for your help. :D
Thanks Jaimec great and very useful review.
Carrie
Sorry just thought of something else. Do you know if there is a private bus hire service that would get 6 of us and our luggage to the airport?
Thanks
We used the Airlink shuttle bus both ways. we just went to ground transportation once we got our bags...follow the green signs. was $15 each to the hotel and it was a nice mini bus for about 8 people.

We booked it going back with the concierge and it was $23 each.

Any more questions give me a shout :D
Thanks for all the info. Am off on Monday :pele Have booked 48hr loop tour and sex and the city tour. We are thinking about dinner cruise - might just leave it till we get there. Top of the rock sounds good. We have booked a limo to pick us up from airport :D Disappointed re shops but no doubt will go anyway !!! Will be there for Thanksgiving - looking forward ro Macys parade. Any recommendations for good meal ?

Cheers

Liz
Carrie

The stop is on 34th at 5th avenue - but just look for the open top red buses - you will see them stopping and hop on! They run every 10 mins or so.

We were there for four days and we managed to do all the sights in just over 1 day!! We went for it - we worried we couldnt do them all but with the bus you can plan your route.

We did the downtown tour first - getting on at Times Square - then off at ESB, next stop Ground Zero and walked over to the Ferry terminal, then out at Rockerfeller/radio city, next stop Central Park, then back to Times square. AHHHH!! All the time taking in all the other great sites along the way.

That night we did the Night time tour - wrap up warm its FREEZING cause you have to sit up top to fully enjoy the skyline etc. Gloves, hat, scarf, thermal socks and thick coat for sure!

Uptown loop is more a tour you stay on for the whole journey - you go past Dakota building where John Lennon was shot, you see Harlem, a number of churches, upper west side and it goes along museum mile - we got off at the Guggenheim.

You will get your gifts - not a probelm really - just very busy - bit like Oxford Street in rush hour! Watch the prices in some independant shops - we needed a memory stick for our camera and they wanted $230 in one shop on Times square - we got it for $40 a few blocks down!

Didnt ice skate or take the carriage - we did go and watch them skating - was really nice. We walked round Central park and took a picnic - very beautiful.

They also have ice skating at Bryant Park - its the first time they have done it - it is a bit smaller but still looked great.

Tips are a bit of a pain to work out - its roughly 20% in restaurants - $1 a drink in bars and a couple of dollars for tour guides and taxis. Bellboys get around $1 a bag. So stock up on $1 bills!!

I have done the ice skating in Central Park this time last year. It was fab, actually one of the highlights of my trip to NY. The setting is great with the buildings in the back round. I didnt do the Carriage Ride.

We only paid a quick trip to Central Park and if I was to return to NY I would allow at least half a day and explore it further.
Thanks guys - the info is fantastic. Going in town to buy some ear muffs, gloves etc over the weekend as it looks as if we will need them.

Joolz that is incredible how you done the whole thing in 1 day. We are planning our itinary which will have to change a bit now we have booked the 48 hr bus tour and the evening ferry trip.

Do you know if the Christmas lights will be on?

This time next week we will be up up and away - can't wait.
Lots of stores were in full christmas mode - with lights up and christmas music playing.

Radio city looked beautiful - has a soldier and a cannon firing at a line of soldiers and they all fall down - real cute!

The thing is Carrie we got up early on day one as we were so excited (we had arrived at 5pm day before) so we were out of the hotel at 7.30am, grabbed breakfast and on the tour straight away - think this is why we didnt have any queues on the big attractions.

You will love it!

joolz :wink:
Just a point to add,i have yet to meet anyone who went to NY and found they did not enjoy it,we thought it was fantastic,and to anyone heading out there you will have a fantastic time,cheers (an envious) Mark
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.