Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
I could fill a page telling you why I think Acharavi may suit, yes, I admit to bias as I live here, but Acharavi does have a great deal going for it. Its a large village with a great choice of eating places from cheap souvlaki shops to nice Greek restaurants to Chinese. It has some modern music bars and a club for those who want a lively evening, but its low key enough not to disturb those looking for something more peaceful. There is a small water park Hydropolis, just a few minutes walk outside the village, not on such a big scale as Aqualand but cheap and convenient.
The beach is along stretch of sand and shingle so its easy to get away from people if you want to; safe, with watersports and clean.
Acharavi has the advantage of having a beautiful mountain backdrop so for early and late season walkers there are some lovely walks, it is about 1 hour from Corfu town but is well covered by a variety of excursions and car hire is reasonable and roads not busy.I think you may find Castaway Travel's websitehelpful for advice on the area in more depth. Please feel free to ask if there is something specific we can help with.
Hi, we booked through Kosmar and went to Mirabello Appartments in Dassia. Didn't use Kosmar for any excursions as you can book the same activities for a fraction of the price direct with the operators. The Barbeque boat trip with Captain Tellis running from the Ski 2000 jetty is great fun - GO NORTH not South. Also you can hire your own boat from Nikos and Mary in front of the Dassia Chandris and have a totally lazy day being your own Captain! Incidentally Ski 2000 do a range of watersport activities -try Parasailing, it's brilliant - my girlfriend enjoyed it so much we did it twice and she can't swim! You've got to visit Great Shakes bar for a night or two of good entertainment and food. We went in September 2004 and will definately be going again this year. It's probably one of the best holidays we've had.
I envy you going to Corfu for the first time, you'll love it. I first went over 20 years ago but, for the past 6 years have gone back to the same place; San Stefanos in the North West. The past two years we have stayed at Nondas - check out http://www.nondas.co.uk. Simple accommodation within sniffing distance of a pool, shops and beach five minutes away and loads of bars and restaurants within ten minutes. The beach is lovely - sandy and shelving gently into the sea. There's even a small nudist beach at the far end if that's where your fancy takes you! Recommend Jazzmin restaurant to eat - wonderful food. Prices are reasonable, most nights we've eaten out for under £30 for two adults and two kids including drinks.
WOW Bookworm..... Just had a look at the link you posted and like the look of those villas and apartments very much. Had the most WONDERFUL fresh Sardines in a little Taverna by the water's edge in S. Stefanos one lunchtime. I'll never forget them even if I can't remember the name of the establishment (You might know it as the head waiter looked like Danny De Vito with a moustache!). Maybe we'll our families will end up meeting over an Ouzo at Nondas one day. If not, enjoy your times there. Hopefully we might this year.
Hi Minder, glad you like the Nondas website, my husband set it up for them to help out. The English telephone number is ours so if you ever want to check availability, give us a call. No, we're not in business, just helping out friends; numbers have been down in Corfu generally for the last year or so and we said we'd help out. Don't know the place they sell the sardines, but if you're ever there go and check out the Jazzmin restaurant, the food and the music are excellent.
Thanks for the great web site bookworm have just booked 2 wks in September stayed in San Stefanos twice last year and really loved it can't wait to go back.
Having recommended Acharavi, but seeing others are recommending Agios Stefanos (west coast), I can also say that this is indeed another family friendly place with a super beach, a little more isolated than Acharavi and less on offer by way of excursions and public transport , which is what preserves the peace and quiet that is its great attraction. There is another small company offering self catering accommodation in Ag Stef:Travel with Friends It is a bonus to have someone around to help should a disaster befall you, or just for a bit more inside info than you will have available to you through the big T/O's.The taxi transfers are probably one of the things people comment on most, once you have arrived and been whisked straight off to your house, instead of waiting to fill a coach and then do a grand Island tour there will be no going back!
why not look further south, the island is flatter there moraitika/messonghi is quite well developed resort
I stayed in Messonghi when I first went to Corfu over 20 years ago and loved it. However, as a word of caution, I last visited Messonghi only a couple of years ago for a few hours at the end of the season where I got talking to one of the locals. I was told that not many British tourists go there now, mainly Croatians if my memory serves me correctly, and many of the businesses were closing down.
check out San Stefanos but remember you must state ;; Avliottes n. w
There are 2 San Stefanos beach resorts--one being very up market-the other is the village i live in . The beach;people;food , great !! There is a local bus service to Sidari for shops, night life. The beach leaves a LOT to be desired. What ever you want you`ll find it here Except wild parties although we do have fun. Let me know if i can help you Come privately it`s cheaper and very straight forward.

*Edit bold removed - Glynis*
Hi Billz,
I love San Stefanos went twice last year and stayed in the Barras apartments we are going back in September and staying in Nondas villa (do you know it?) The beach is beautiful and the people are fantastic, can't wait to go back. 8)
:shrug where is the sun & the flowers Cathy did you get my mail
looking forward to meeting you-ask any one where Vassillis and Savo are they will tell you
Hi billiz, do you live in San Stefanos all year round or do you go inland for winter? We're staying at Nondas (INVALID URL in August - certainly looking forward to a bit of sunshine, I'm fed up with the sleet and rain.
g/day, yes we have stayed here for 4yrs now and we go back for xmas
2 weeks ,you talked about the weather there we had rain/sleet thunder for about 6weeks but i think it`s changing now thank god we have been working hard trying to get the cottages ready in the hope we will get some tourists-
if you know anyone who fancies San Stefanos give them our web site

http://www.ionian-gem.com see you soon lizzie
hi
i'll be calling in at corfu on a cruise ship and i 'm not sure whereabouts. all i really would like to know is what is the english food like and is it readily available in some places. are the shops any good too
annj
You'll most likely dock in Corfu Town where the are plenty of shops, bars, taverna's, noproblem getting English food all depending on what you want, be it fast food, or good food, Corfu TOwn is very pretty full of history, hope you have a great time
Pojo
hello lanzafan, I would like to recommend a very nice little town with a long beach of golden sands, its name is Arilas on the west side of Corfu. My wife, two daughters andme went there in 2001 and stayed at the hotel Marina which is right on the beach, so you woke up to the sound of the sea every6 morning and it was nice to have your breakfast over loking hte sea. We found the tonw great and the walks up on to the cliffs gave a beautful veiw of the whole town and the beach. We ate out every night at differant places and found the food great. If you want to travel around the island then you will need a car. Sidari is not that far from Arilas. We would recommend this area for a place of beauty. :gluck
:sun Sorry lanzafan, I forgot to mention that both my wife and I went to Roda in 2000, we went on a half board at the Pegasus Hotel with Thompson Holiday before they pulled out ot of this hotel dont know the reason for this, because we found the Pegasus a very nice family run hotel. The staff could not be more helpful. The rooms were very clean, food was OK, bar was the tops as it stayed opened till the last guest went to bed. Roda as a town not bad nice restaurants, the horse ridding is great as you go through the woods on to the beach and back again, cost I dont know now because it is in Euros now. If want to have a nice holiday Corfu is the place to wind down. :gluck
san stefanos is a village with something for everyone-many retaurants
to choose from , good choice of bars with entertainment. within walking distance of arillis. the plus is that there are no hills to trek to get to the
village. to book http://www.ionian-gem.com
english manager is on site :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.