Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
We can only express our personal opinions on HT - You say you have been in touch with Trading Standards who have informed you they are In Breach of Regulations and also ABTA code of Practice.

It is obvious that you do not have a great deal of time to sort out this problem, therefore, in my opinion, you have two choices open to you.

1 - Go back to Trading Standards and ask if they can assist in resolving your problem. Perhaps a telephone call from them might stir things up.

2 - You could contact Ros Fernihough who has helpd many members of HT - She is a Travel Law Solicitor and would be able to advise you.

She can be contacted on TEL. NO. 0845 2262332 (local) or 01922 621114

FAX NO. 01922 629042

Sending letters, emails and making telephone calls is all very good when you have plenty of time (which you do not) to resolve the situation.

Much as we like to assist where we can, this is a case where you need an expert on the job.

fwh
I agree with fwh, you require professional assistance in view of the time scale.

I will remark upon how often the same travel company is being cited for downright diabolical service!

Peter
i totally agree first choice have definately changed we have travelled with them for years but never again we to had to go to trading standards but we had plenty of time we are not going until may next year, fortunately our situation was resolved , not completely to our satisfaction but you live and learn . i agree with contacting ros she gives some fantastic advice and has helped us a few times , good luck and happy birthday.
still fighting this!!first choice now after god knows how many phonecalls are telling us that we can change out holiday free of charge as in no admin fee's but we cannot downgrade to a lowere holiday. and any difference we must pay.

trading standards are still dealing with it and they are having the same problems we are, getting through to first choice.

my partner has just recieved his phone bill , which is a hefty 96, compaired t the usual 50!! dreading recieving mine!!

so basically first choice seem to have accepted that there is a problem but refuse to sort it out, as we have mo momre money to pay towards the holiday, its looking like we will jsut have to go to the NH.under protest and see what happens when we return.

oh and as for backdated prices, the prices now are cheaper than the backdated costs!! but yet we still seem to have to pay backdated prices!

Nightmare company will never use again!!!! :(
hi returned from NH on 6th sept! there is renovations going on!!! half the hotel is closed!! half if the facilities are unavailable, there was builders all over the place scaffolding, painting, a new building being built!! not to mention paint brushes being washed into the lagoon!! i have over 50 photo's of this. Also a letter printe byt hte hotel saying that some of the facilities that were unavailable were opening.

Tried calling first choice who have not written back to my 2 complaints letters! they say they have a huge back log(i wonder why) due to staffing problems!!! anyway they say that they sent me a letter on 22 aug. i have not recieved it!they do not have proof of posdtage as they are done automatically! my case has not been even looked at yet.

they refused to let me speak to a manager. they put us on hold when i gave my partner the phone to add to the notes that it was now my partner that was on the phone and not me. We are both on the booking! after getting frustraited the lady we spoke to refuses to leave us on hold for a manager as she has other calls to take, she passes the phone to a man, who also refuses to put us on hold to a manage. he would not give a reason.

WE then asked do we need to put it in writing to get a copy of all the informationheld about us on the system, or can he just do it. WE were told that only a judge will allow this. (What happened to Data protection act).!

Anyway after being told that because he was not telling me what i wanted to hear, and that was why i was getting frustraited. He hung up.

They also refused to tell me anything about my booking, told me that a letter will be sent to me possibly by the end of september but they dont know when.

AWFULL!!! this company is a nightmare!

have been back to trading standards, who say they have had the same problems trying to get hold of first choice managers. no one within the company seems to have any sense.

any one got any ideas/!
any one got any ideas!

Yes, contact Ros Fernihough as was suggested by fwh on 11th August.

Peter
with all due respect peter, whilst that may be an option for some, I have to say that I would be hesistant to get in touch with Ros until I'd tried a lot of other things first, simply because of a worry about the costs. As someone closer to 21 like the thread starter, there's often a lot of hassle in getting something like that going financially.
The aim of this section of the holiday-truth website is to enable holidaymakers to get advice and assistance as soon as possible on any holiday complaints or problems encountered.

Our members will be able to offer you advice on how best to deal with your holiday complaints and how to deal with the Tour Operators. However please remember that this will be non qualified advice. We therefore suggest you seek professional assistance from someone qualified in Travel Law.

We have teamed up with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, to provide the best information available.

Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :-

Tel :- 01922 621114

In a case such as has been described, getting proper professional advice is the only answer.

Otherwise the travel company will just give the Aladdin the run around in the hope they give up and go away.

Peter
with all due respect peter, whilst that may be an option for some, I have to say that I would be hesistant to get in touch with Ros until I'd tried a lot of other things first, simply because of a worry about the costs. As someone closer to 21 like the thread starter, there's often a lot of hassle in getting something like that going financially.

Perhaps we need to start again here.

My original advice /opinion is valid.

A question was asked regarding a reported situation that would impact on a holiday that was imminent.

Advice had been sought from Trading Standards who confirmed, on the information supplied by the original poster, that the TO was in breach of contract. They had in effect broken the law. Telephone calls were of no use.

Once you mention "Breach of Contract" then the person at the other end of the telephone may not as possibility of legal action against the company could be compromised by their actions.

There does so often seem to be a view that taking legal advice is going to cost a large sum of money - nothing could be further from the truth.

Age of the plaintiff has little bearing on the case. They had already been told that the TO were in the wrong legally. Many cases these days are under on a no win/no fee basis anyway.

A good (and Ros Fernihough is) solicitor would endeavour to recover your costs as part of the settlement if at all possible.

It had already been demonstrated by the original poster that DIY was of no use. The time factor was against them so the advice to take professional advice was the best.

Here on HT, as I said in my original reply, we are only able to express our personal opinion. That has no standing in law.

If you wish to obtain a satisfactory solution to the problem then the only answer is to contact someone such as Ros and obtain their assistance.

In my opinion - If you go down the DIY road you will still be trying to resolve the problem at this time next year.

fwh
Hi i have written a 3rd letter to first choice and also contacted Ros Fernighough. I have sent her the information and hopefully she can help!!

I tried calling first choice to see if they had recieved my last letters (which i know they have as i tracked them on royal mail). I was told that they had posted a reply out to me, i have not recieved this. They would not seend a new letter out! and i was told to get a reply to the letters MIGHT be at the end of september.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told there was none working.

I was then passed to a senior on the shift who said i was not allowed to speak to a manager but would give me no reason.

He also said that we were not able to wait on hold for a manager as they had other calls to take.

I was finally told that because he was not telling me what i wanted to hear i was being unreasonable and he hung up.

What awfull phone manners!!!

Oh well! guess with a company of this size they must have a HUGE backlog of complaints to deal with. Maybe they whould act upon the mand take advice!!
Hey!
I've had numerous responses from Ros Fernihough and first choice, basically first choice are refusing to go above £600, Ros has sent us a letter informing us that to go to court we must pay £270 in court fee's. This is completly acceptablet and fair.

Does anyone have any experience of this?, should we take the £600 or take it to court?

thanks

Aladdin
Simple answer is what does Ros advise? She is the expert. Does she consider going to court will get a better result?

If the answer is yes then go for it. If the answer is no then take the money.

The decision has to be yours, but why have Ros on the case if you do not ask/do what she advises.

fwh
hey thakns thats great!
i thought the same...i was justa little dubious that's all!
thakns fwh x
Solicitor According to Ros Fernihough, the average solicitor charges around £550 plus VAT for claims of between £1,000 and £2,000. Some may fight the case for you on a 'no win, no fee' basis, but remember this doesn't mean it is completely free if you lose.
it is on no win no fee at the moment...i do think court will be the best way to go but of we loost then its cost us 270 court fee's and then i dunno...do we get anything?
Going back to your original posting on this. You contacted Trading Standards.

Have they had any input with the action Ros has taken to date? It might be worth mentioning to Ros and speaking to them again.

Let them have a look at your report on the holiday you submitted to FC on your return. Would help your case if they decided to come into it on your side. The courts do takke notice of what they have to say.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.