Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Pauline, sincere apologies from me, certainly didn't mean to cause offence and sorry I couldn't offer any constructive advice.
good luck in your claim.
juby
Well as you can see next to my name, I'm not a regular I'm a "newbie" I am now not surprised why newbies don't bother posting replies.

I do not work in law so can't give advise like Ros, which had already been suggested for the op to make contact with, so instead repeating that I gave an alternative to look at claiming on insurance.

I am not here to pass judgement, although some of you clearly like to when there is a newbie like me answering a post. I shall leave it to the oldies and all the threads will read, phone Ros.
I shall leave it to the oldies and all the threads will read, phone Ros.

That is very often the best and indeed the only advice we can give. If I think people are wasting their time based on my experiences I will tell them.

What was like a red rag to bull in this complaint was
in the letter the advisor said she had investigated and £75 was fair.... and that due to lack of space on the plane it can be expected that some cases dont go!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure it would have a similar effect on the Registrar in the small claims court, what an appalling attitude and lack of care. But a case loser (no pun intended) for the travel company I think.

Peter
I really hope the OP comes back, she/he must have felt horrid being called ''greedy'' when the facts were not even known. Sorry to labour this pont but it really needs addressing, some new folks have posted that they had been scared to post because of the responses to past posts :( such a shame. I do hope something is done to rectify this for the newbies.

chazy
well written and spot on comments...........
chivas.......
the aim as i see this site is to be friendy and helpfull to other posters if we cant do those simple things then there is really no need for your input......
I think its very important that we remember that everybody has a different opinion to which they have a right too, but even more important is the way you deal with someone with a different opinion, being rude or going out of your way to make comments to people that make them feel uncomfortable is really not nice and not what this site is about.

You may have read the same complaint over and over but to the person complaining its their personal complaint that they are going through.

Take a step back before posting and remember it can be daunting here for new members.

Sarah
Jon?
No need for my input? Or are you agreeing with me?
chivas i would take his comment as a general comment not directed at you, saying if you cant be friendly helpful etc then theres no need for an input, but im sure jon will come back and explain, im hoping im right, sometimes things can be taken the wrong way in text.

but i agree theres no need for unpleasant comments , people come on the complaints thread for advice when things go wrong and we should all do our best to try and be helpful and kind
hi...chivas..........sorry about the way that came out ...............i was of course agreeing with you .. :tup ..what i meant to say that anyone who could not be helpfull and friendy ...should keep their un-needed in-put to themselfes........./////as i said before your comments were spot on....... :wave:
as someone who recently spent the entire holiday with no suitcase( Terminal 5 in April) I can sympathise. £25 a day may sound reasonable but things like suncream can make a severe dent. We had a real battle to get anything from BA but I persisted and we eventually got a satisfactory outcome. We also did claim through insurance. Luckily my holiday wasn't a 5 star and it didn't stop me eating or going where I wanted.
Can you confirm that you have in writing the fact that it was expected that some suitcases don't go? If you do, as Peter says, the only outcome is a win for you. Contact Ros as she will help.
If you still want to give it a go on your own you have to be realistic about what you want. It may have seemed like a good idea to start with a full refund but I have a feeling that all that did was make them dismiss the claim. Best to claim for the days that were ruined. If you did spend more than the £25 a day remember to put in your receipts as well.
Finally, not much help for this one but hopefully a tip for the future, use your inflight bags wisely. Always pack clothes for at least one day. I started doing that after seeing one couple's first few days ruined with no luggage and I was so glad I did when I got to Goa in April.
Good luck and keep us informed
No worries Jon! :tup

I'm guessing that the OP had lost clothes which were to wear for evening meals etc and in a place like Cuba, replacements were non existant. Also toiletries too.
Please come back and tell us if you have that bit about 'some cases don't go' in writing! Mainly because that is a massive peice of evidence in your court!
WOW.... what a can of worms!!

In response to whoever wrote...there were shops in Guardlavaca....well there wasnt when we were there..maybe 7 market stalls which sold tat and t shirts..there was maybe 3 shops which sold tat and t shirts...

we didnt go to Havana as it was a plane journey away... the only factor cream they sold in the hotel shop was factor 15...

the shorts and swim wear in the hotel shop were big enough only for a 15 yr old SKINNY kid..no under wear..no shirts no nothing!! so we couldnt buy it or claim on the insurance we bought toiletries but as the first £50 is excess it was pointless claiming for 80p...

Its quite apparent by some of the replies until your in the position we were in you cant even begin to understand just how much our holiday was ruined!! I asure you im NOT GREEDY.. we didnt get the holiday we paid for!!! and i think im entitled to more than £75... as i said a full refund was my starting point... theirs was ZERO!!! who's more greedy???? lets hope it doesnt happen to you and then we'll see if you would be happy with just replacing the shampoo and sun cream... having to wash underwear every day and have to wear it damp as there is no wear to dry it ..and watching everyone else enjoy what you'd also paid to enjoy!!!
if youve got nothing constructive to say to me, then just say nothing... i asked for help not insults!!!

in reply to the helpful replies....
T.C have until the end of October...then i'll be phoning Ros... i'll keep up informed...

P x
Hi Pau11n3

I really hope you get decent compensation,after saving hard for a holiday you should,at least,be able to use all the facilities on offer.As an older full figured lady I would find it really difficult to find clothes to fit even if there were huge shopping centres.When I book a holiday,I too expect my case to arrive at the holiday destination,it is not reasonable to expect anyone to be able to manage with just hand luggage for 5 days.Hope things work out for you,T.
Well I for one can totally understand how much the loss of my suitcase would effect a persons holiday. All the toiletries, underwear, day and evening wear, beach towel, hair stuff etc.

You have my sympathies Paul.
I always pack a change of clothing (underwear and outerwear) in our hand luggage. It doesn't take up much room or indeed weigh much. If we travel in casual wear then I would pack smarter in the hand luggage and vice versa. It would always come in useful if you had a long delay anyway. And as I said before next time mix your packing between the cases.

My husband never travels in jeans or shorts anyway so would always have a smart pair of trousers in any case.

You need to be careful in asking for compensation. Asking for a full refund could just result in getting their backs up. Be reasonable and you may just get somewhere.

Pippa
It is one of those things. You do NOT realise what an effect it has until it happens to you.
We were extremely lucky as we travelled as a big family. I was able to use my sons spare swimming shorts and my wife was able to borrow a couple of skirts from my daughters.
The week before, one lady had complained about paying a pound to the chap who grabbed her case and loaded it into the coach and arrived at the hotel to find her case was missing. The TO was useless and provided suncream and deodorant, the other travellers apparently lent her spare clothes and other items.
So we knew we were not so bad off as the poor lady the week before, but to us it was supposed to be a special, relaxing family holiday following a pretty bad year.
When it happens to you, at first you are incredulous, then you expect it to follow you next day, then you expect the Tour operator to actually care and be willing to do something positive like arrange for it to be transported to you by putting it on a following plane and then getting it to you as soon as it arrives in the country. You are truly amazed, even flabbergasted, when none of these things occur.

Then you have the real issue of not knowing if you will get back any expenditure, that is even if you can find anything to buy. The relaxing holiday becomes a nightmare with daily excursions to find the rep to see if there is any update, then later to find the rep again to see if there is any update now they have remembered to check to see if there is any update. Time is no longer yours but revolves around others.
There is also the added effect of the stress as your blood reaches boiling point during discussions!

Having been there and got the T shirt, I fully appreciate how a little thing like not having a case can absolutely trash some people's holiday. Whilst others are more fortunate and can cope better because they are half ready for it to occur, why should we put up with it. It is simple enough particularly with the tracking info. 250 cases booked in, 250 cases loaded onto the plane. They have 2 hours to do it in!

It is equally upsetting when you get back and the Tour Operator also doesn't give a twinge of regret about the consequences on your holiday.

When it happens to you, this all becomes clear, however until it does, how it will effect your own holiday is conjecture.

Good Luck with your complaint, but having spent a long time chasing mine down, I would advise that you try and talk to Ros earlier rather than later.
You also need to check your travel insurance to see what if anything is applicable there: the irony in my case is that the M&S salesman had told me that in the event of delayed baggage I would get a £300 payout, but I declined baggage cover as I assumed it would never happen to me and would either be lost or with me!
Pippa...
your sooooooooooo organized!!! i take my hat off to you!!!
My husaband didnt travel in smart clothes for a 10 hour flight..he dressed casual like everyone else on the plane..

My husbands case sat at CUBA airport for a further 2 days whilst TC staff enjoyed days off!!!!!!!!! would you be happy just to take it on the chin!!! if so..your lucky to be able to waste 4 grand!!!! i want fair compensation... my STARTING point was a full refund (i didnt for one minute think i'd get it, but i wanted them to know i wasnt gonna be fobbed off either!)... THEIR starting point was NOTHING!! ZERO ZILCH!!! i think it should be they who have to be careful or they will end up in court... the customer service was very poor, and anyone in my situation would be asking for a refund!!!!

As this situation obviously hasnt happened to you please keep your comments to yourself as you dont know what your talking about.. your not being helpful your being offensive!!! and maybe just have too much time on your hands you want an argument!!! i dont do arguments!!!! so this will be my last response to you!!!
Pauline
I do agree with Pippa. You need to consider what you ask in way of compensation. Will you be able to claim on your insurance? I didn't say YOU were greedy. However I do think, claiming for the WHOLE holiday would be seen as greedy, which is what you said you'd do. I do think when you ask too much, the TO may perceive your complaint as greedy and you do not do yourself any favours. We disagree on this, that's fine. Claiming for the part of the holiday that was not what you paid for is reasonable, but you were able to enjoy the rest of your holiday. I hope you get some compensation and you claim on your insurance. I would love to know what Ros suggest you do claim for. All or part.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.