America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Thanks David. Do you have a link to confirm this? I am taking a school trip over in September and in the past I have always insisted the kids have 6 months left (as I thought this was the case).
This page of the Foreign Office website confirms the entry/immigration requirements:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states?ta=entryRequirements&pg=4

However, if your airline or tour operator stipulates different minimum passport validity requirements as part of their booking conditions, then you would have to adhere to those instead.

David :wave
Hi De Hi wrote:
No you don't have to update it. They don't look at it anyway!

What makes you think they don't look at it? They can see the ESTA on their screens when they scan your passport. They don't need to see a paper copy.

maureen, there is no need to update the ESTA as the information that can be amended isn't compulsory.

luci :wave
luci HT Mod wrote:
Hi De Hi wrote:
No you don't have to update it. They don't look at it anyway!

What makes you think they don't look at it? They can see the ESTA on their screens when they scan your passport. They don't need to see a paper copy.

maureen, there is no need to update the ESTA as the information that can be amended isn't compulsory.

You are probably right but they scrutinise the green card just like they always have! On another note when we went through immigration this year they only scanned the fingers on our right hand, They didn't bother with the right thumb or left hand. They did this with my wife as well. I can only think that as we were there last September as soon as they did one scan it confirmed our identity with the previous one so no more were needed. They did the full scans with the other passengers on the flight.
A friend flew into LAX on 1 April and was told they didn't need the I-94W. It is one of the few airports that no longer need the green form.

However they flew back via Chicago and had a problem when the officials insisted they hand in the part that is normally stapled to the passport as they obviously didn't have it.

Hi all
long time no speak .

Bubble just to let you know i went to get visa and it was all exactly as before, no mention of any number to keep checking online, they just said they send an email, so where did you get info about checking status online?

Jords
Hello,

sorry, ive just been looking all over the embassy website.. thinking where did i read that, lol.. anyway its under the nonimigrant visa section, i think under visas, then under administrative processing, explains all except its only for section 221g.. i must have not seen that part or maybe it changed.. sorry!! so it doesnt apply to you or my husband anyway.. like you said earlier its easier to have them email us at least then we dont have to keep checking etc!!

was it september your hoping to go again? hope they dont keep you waiting too long.. :)
Hi

Not sure if deff going yet due to health probs in family.

I have been recomended for a longer visa this time tho so some good news, guy at embassy was a very nice guy and wanted to help rather than patronise.
Was in there as long as always nothing has changed at all so i am not seeing benefits to the new DS-160 but obviously they are and they want more info now than ever for example they want parents names etc and work record for last 5 years etc etc so a lot more info than before.
When you off?

Jords.
That would be good if you get a longer visa.. would save going back every time you want to go on holiday there.. be interesting to see what they issue!! we go 3 weeks on saturday, so excited!! :)
in 1997 i had to go to court and was given a £100 fine.
does this mean i need to apply for a visa given that it was thirteen years ago and my only conviction?
in 1997 i had to go to court and was given a £100 fine.
does this mean i need to apply for a visa given that it was thirteen years ago and my only conviction?

Potentially - it depends what you did.

If it was (to over simplify) 'moral turpitude' then you need a visa

If it wasn't, you don't

If you are not sure then apply for a visa and the US Embassy will decide for you.
Hi Mark

any conviction regardless of time meens you need a Visa, unless it was a simple driving offence.

Time has no bearing mine was 26 years ago, and i have known people with 39 year old convictions still need one, but as deetee said if it wansn't "moral turpitude" then you are ok but moral turpitude pretty much means any offence, theft,fighting,burgelry,shop lifting and anything else.
Personaly i'm glad i went to get a visa cos lieing just isn't me and they treated me with respect and dignity when i got to the U.S both times so i don't have a problem with it, it's a pain and costly but i'm happy that i get a visa.

Jords
What documents to you send in, ive seen a cost of $140 on the website but also been told £900
Im going to try and ring the embassy for advice
Hello,

you ring the us embassy & give them your details & passport number etc, they also take the non refundable charge for your visa during this phone call, which was last time we went $131, they take this from your card when you ring.. once you have done this, you will be sent an email & you need to scan in your acpo certificate which you will have to apply for from acro, this costs £35 or it did.. once you have done that & the embassy will notify you again, and ask you to ring to make an appointment.. you also have to scan in some other forms you complete, if you refer to my older posts you may find more info..

you used to have to complete the DS156, DS157 & VCU1 forms, they have now brought in another form, DS160, my husband hasnt used this one yet as it wasnt in when he had his last interview.. i think this replaces the DS156.. not sure though..

basically the cost of applying for your visa is the $131, £35 police cerificate & then you have to buy a photo for your applcation form.. your travel to london if thats where your going to apply, so noway near the higher price range you mentioned, which is good!! :)

if you search the us embassy website, it will tell you what you need when you ring, i would avoid ringing them unessicerily as it costs £1.20 per minute :yikes

the email they send to you once you have taken the first step gives you pretty much all the info you should need.. you should also take with you a few bank statements & maybe a copy of your mortgage or something, wage slips? as proof as ties to your country.. sometimes not asked for but better to ahve them to hand, they have looked at my husbands a few times.. hope this helps you.. :)
thanks for that il let my partner no
we were planning on going for honeymoon but dont know now
he doesnt know if he has any legal paperwork anymore so is that what the police certificate is

its not as expensive then we can afford to go

just a long process and we aint going till sep 2011 but i want to get it sorted and booked
the police certificate may state no live trace, i think.. as its an old conviction this sometimes happens.. in these cases your partner would have to get a copy of the court document, i think memorandum of conviction, its pretty easy to do.. they just have to contact the court, it may seem like alot of hassle & i guess to some it is, but once you get the ball rolling its so worth it.. :)

normally for us when my partner applys, we go in advance, they recommend to the dhs in america for him to recieve a waiver of inelegibility & then contact his nearer the time of travel to send his passport so they can issue his visa :)

its better to apply in advance & get things sorted, i think so anyway..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.