America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
My husband has a conviction for breach of the peace, he had to get a visa at the US Embassy in London, it took some time and cost a pretty penny.

When he got to America they asked why he had the visa blah blah and the purpose of his trip and then let him through.

The visa is valid for 10 years (or until the passport expires).

We got it all sorted here rather than worrying on the flight over.

Helen
Not sure how to quote you deetee but this is a reply to you

I know the US is very strict on letting people into their country but for them to carry out a medical to prove that i'm not an alcoholic really is taking it to the extreme in my opinion.

Also for them bring up a caution for theft and that's a caution not a conviction I think is a totally OTT.

Like I said I visited Las Vegas in May and had no qualms whatsoever about entering the country and there was more than one stop so I think i'll just go along and chance it because i'm just bringing attention to myself by going to the US Embassy and applying for a visa. I'm basically doing their work for them and these silly charges they make you pay is rediculous.

My friend with the affray conviction got granted his visa last weekend after visiting the US Embassy in London and he told me it was the biggest amount of rubbish he had ever gone through. He told me he sat outside a room for about an hour until then called him in and then once they called him in he filled out about 3-4 forms and that was it Visa granted.

$120 aswell lol
  • Edited by MarkJ 2009-10-15 05:45:45
    Swear filter avoidance
Derwentrocker wrote:
Actually even if you are granted a visa for 6 months etc, it is still up to the officials at passport control. If they don't like what you have done, they can still send you packing back home !

Sorry please dont think im been funny as im not, lol its just that once you have a visa i dont think you can be denied entry for your reason for having a visa, eg if you have a criminal record on arrival in the US you cant be refused entry for that record as you have a visa, otherwise whats the point? When we arrived in Orlando this year the immigration guy who took my husband in to the office, i went aswell actually said dont worry once you have visa all is ok i have to find you inelegible for another reason. Basically i can deny you entry but not for having a criminal record as you have done the right thing & got a visa, we have allready approved you can come here kind of thing. Sorry if this isnt what you meant i just wanted to write what i though was correct.
Hi bubble123 ..

Sorry please dont think im been funny as im not, lol its just that once you have a visa i dont think you can be denied entry for your reason for having a visa

As you know, there are circumstances which affect eligibility for some people to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver Program, in which case they need to apply for a visa. However, just like the Visa Waiver Program, a visa does not guarantee entry to the US. It only allows foreign citizens to travel to a US port of entry and request permission to enter the country. Customs & Border Agency officials at that port of entry have the authority to determine whether permission should be granted or refused. And so however unlikely it may be that entry to the US is denied, neither the VWP nor a visa should be regarded as a guarantee of entry to the country.

As this discussion has continued to run separately, I have now merged it with the main topic in order to reduce duplication.

David :wave
Sorry, i wasnt saying that you are guaranteed entry with a visa, as i know that neither guarantee you entry to the US, as the embassy website does state this clearly, however, i didnt think you could be refused entry for having a visa for the reason you have the visa as thats why you have one, you could however be refused entry for another reason? If that makes sense? I think this was talked about on here before the forums got lost, as i was worried about it. The officer did say to us he couldnt refuse my husband for having a criminal record as he had a visa for this reason. That was good enough for me. lol. :)
Hiya
i agree with Bubble, as i understand it IF you have been honest and declared convictions and obtained a visa for those reasons from the US embassy then DHS would be very unlikely to send you back as it is them that have authorized the waiver of ineligability in the first place, however as everyone knows it is up to the guy on the day if he/she lets you in, also worth mentioning as sometimes it's overlooked, if you do have a visa then you also have rights, far more than useing the waiver prog with which you have none.
As i have said in prev posts, on both occasions i have been they have treated me very well, and to be honest i feel safer traveling with a visa, altho obtaining the visa is a long and costly process, if you give yourself enough time and be realistic about times then its less stressful. Another thing, we flew from Manchester where they have introduced a ticket machine for issuing boarding pass's, a word of caution, if you have a visa this machine won't recognise it and will say it can't process you, the airline at the desk (checkin) had to override it, apparently it's only for ESTA approvals, it wasn't a hassle but was a bit scary when it said could't process me lol.

Happy hols all, don't be put off being honest :)
Jords
Thanks Jords & We also had the same, lol, we flew from Manchester, the man stood there joked that i had broken their machine!! Lol. Were still waiting to hear from the embassy again, i dont think it will be untill next year though! All good though. Hope your well. :)
Not sure how to quote you deetee but this is a reply to you

I know the US is very strict on letting people into their country but for them to carry out a medical to prove that i'm not an alcoholic really is taking it to the extreme in my opinion.

Also for them bring up a caution for theft and that's a caution not a conviction I think is a totally OTT.

Like I said I visited Las Vegas in May and had no qualms whatsoever about entering the country and there was more than one stop so I think i'll just go along and chance it because i'm just bringing attention to myself by going to the US Embassy and applying for a visa. I'm basically doing their work for them and these silly charges they make you pay is rediculous.

My friend with the affray conviction got granted his visa last weekend after visiting the US Embassy in London and he told me it was the biggest amount of rubbish he had ever gone through. He told me he sat outside a room for about an hour until then called him in and then once they called him in he filled out about 3-4 forms and that was it Visa granted.

$120 aswell lol

Well I don't disagree with you, but the US often goes to extremes. They tend to claim they have minimalistic government and are not bureaucratic, but once you get into it they can be as bad if not worse as anywhere in the world. Or at least any non-corrupt place. You can't bribe them.

The rules are not designed for tourists - they are designed for immigrants. When the VWP came in (opposed by significant political factions in the US) they just copied the same rules with no concessions for temporary visitors. Part of the compromise in getting the scheme going - and probably continuing. A number of influential Americans would like it abolished and have everyone apply for a visa.

Your friend probably didn't need a visa - affray is not always moral turpitude, so that may be the reason he got by so easily.

And I wouldn't be too certain that your caution is not (in US eyes) a conviction. If it meant you admitting you did it in exchange for being let off then they are going to look at their own definitions, not UK ones, when considering your case.
Can someone help me please? my family are off on a cruise sailing from Miami and they have asked me to sort there visas out online, can someone please point me in the right direction please, i have been told its weavier visa is this right? also i have been told they are free is this true?

Thanks
Hi liana .. if they require visas, they will have to organise that themselves, you cannot do so on their behalf. If however you are referring to ESTA, please click here for further details and registration link.

Thank you i have all there info from passports to booking details why can i not do it for them? thanks again
Your post suggests that they need visas. If they require visas, they will have to organise that via personal appointment at the US Embassy. If however they do not require visas and you are perhaps referring to ESTA, you may do that on their behalf via the link above.

All i know is they are sailing from Miami ( they are staying over night there ) i was told a visa but it may be the ESTA?? ive never delt with anything for America before. Can you tell me if just the online ESTA is the only thing they need please? thank u x
liana ... most UK travellers are eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program, but require to complete ESTA registration in advance of travel.

However, some travellers are ineligible to travel under the VWP, and require to apply instead to the US Embassy for a visa.

Details of eligibility to travel under the VWP can be found in the 2nd post on page 1 of this topic. You should perhaps refer the family members concerned to that post, so that they may verify their own eligibility to travel without a visa.

Hi,

I filled out the ESTA just before travelling to Boston in september this year. I am booked to go to NYC in May next year, is the same ESTA valid for both trips?

Thanks
Em. x
Hi Em ... ESTA authorisations remain valid for 2 years, and cover multiple entries into the US during that period.

Yes the same ESTA is valid for 2 years. However if you get a new passport in the meantime you will either have to revise your ESTA or complete a new application.

You can amend your existing ESTA with your new flight and accommodation details, but this is not compulsory.

luci :wave
NEW SECURITY MEASURES FOR TRAVELLERS TO THE US

In light of recent events, the US Transportation Security Administration has introduced a series of new or additional security measures.

With immediate effect, travellers to the US should now expect additional security measures at their departure airport and on board the flight. These measures are being described as 'unpredictable' in nature and so passengers may not see the same measures applied on every day, at every airport, or on board every flight.

However, one significant change is that those airlines or airports which had been allowing two pieces of hand luggage will now only permit one, and that should include any duty free or airside shopping. Hand luggage will be subject to the usual security screening before entry to the departure lounge, but may now be subject to an additional search at the departure gate. Delays are already being experienced at some airports, as passengers turn up with more hand luggage than is now being allowed, which they then have to dispose of or include with their checked baggage for the hold.

Passengers will still be subject to the usual security screening before entry to the departure lounge, but may now be subject to an additional 'pat-down' search before boarding.

Changes during the flight may include passengers having to remain seated during the final hour of the flight, with no access to toilets or hand luggage during that time. In flight entertainment and some flight announcements (such as those giving precise location or pointing out landmarks) may now cease during that final hour of the flight.

Bearing in mind that these new measures have been urgently implemented during the festive holiday period, there may be further revision in the coming days, with some airlines and airports as yet still to update their websites.

I have just applied for my ESTA and was approved straight away. Do I get any paperwork to prove this when I get ti the airport? or I can take the printed approved bit? Is this really all I need to do to enter the US? We are flying to New York in 3 weeks for my Birthday so do I need to do anything else? Should I apply for a VISA just in case?....

Kind regards
Claire
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.