America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Have heard that it is now not required to fill out a green 1-194 form on entering the US...is this correct? Certainly needed to fill one out in February.
The ESTA was set to replace the I94W form and was being phased in. Some airports were no longer needing the I94W since January, but last I read, they were to be phased out by end of July.

luci :wave
We didn't fill one in when we went over at easter. Still had to do the foodstuff one though
Hiya everyone, I'm new here, I joined because I'm slightly confused about the ESTA.

I applied for an ESTA today, and have been granted authorisation to fly to the US. I'm planning on making the trip early next year, but I thought I'd apply now to give time for any problems. My query is how do the officials know I have an ESTA? Is there something I have to print out, to prove this, or is my application number enough for them to know I've been granted access?

Thank you to anyone who can help :)
The officials have computer access to the list. As far as I can see when they scan your passport the ESTA registered against it will appear on their screen. We print ours out but have not been asked to show it.
Hi and welcome to HT!

The ESTA is an Electronic System of Travel Authorisation. As it is electronic, no hard copy is required although you can print one for your own records if you wish.

The check in clerk at the airport in the UK will see if you have a current ESTA. When your passport is scanned at Immigration in the US it will show on their computer.

The ESTA asks for flight and accommodation details, but these are not mandatory and you don't need to complete them. However if you wish you can update these details if you have your ESTA reference number, but there is no requirement to do so.

Thank you both for your help! It seems obvious now you point out what the E stands for. Blonde moment maybe? :)
I've been reading that this doesn't automatically grant me access into the US when I get there and I could still be turned away from the country. Is this a real possibility or just something they put on the site in case a rare reason comes up for not allowing someone access? And is there anything else I'll need, or is my passport and tickets enough? This is my first time going away on my own so I'm a little panicky ha :)
Thanks,
Becca :)
If you are going on vacation (not to seek work or for longer than 90 days), have a return ticket and enough money for the duration of your trip, it is unlikely you will be turned back.

The reason for that statement is that it is ultimately the decision of the Immigration officer whether to allow you entry to the country.

You will be asked a few questions such as the reason for your visit, how long you are staying, maybe where you are staying. You will also have your fingerprints taken and a photo taken. All of this is normal.

All you need apart from passport and tickets is enough money to support you while you are there, not that they ever ask to see it. However I was asked how much we had last time at San Francisco after more than a dozen flights to the US.

You will also be asked to complete API (Advanced Passenger Info) by the airline either when you purchase your ticket or when you check in online. However this can be done at check in at the airport with a swipe of your passport.

Hi, I have recently come back from a trip to the USA & Canada.
22 years ago i was convicted of a non violent technical offence which I duly declared when applying for a US visa, which was granted.
On my first trip to the USA the 'homeland' official asked why i had a visa, i gave a simplified explanation which he was happy with. He still
took my photo and finger prints (even though they were taken during my visa interview at the US Embassy in London). All the other non US
passengers on the flight did the same.
On my second trip to the US this month the 'homeland' official again asked why i had a visa, but wanted more details of the offence. This took
some explaining as it is complicated. She scanned my passport but apparently no info came up on the screen in front of her. Again she took my fingerprints
and photo.
Do they not keep the data from previous visits? Doesn't a visa show you are fully vetted?
My real problem occurred when the tour I was on crossed the border into Canada.
All the passengers on our coach had to get off and go through immigration. On presenting my passport to the Canadian official he wanted to know
what I had done to require a US visa. I gave a quick explanation but this didn't satisfy him so i was led away for a further interview with a very hostile
official. She wanted to know all details of the offence and was annoyed I couldn't remember exact dates etc. from 22 YEARS AGO! I didn't think they were going to let me in.
In the end she said if i ever come to Canada again i must supply FULL details of the conviction.
It appears having a US visa is like having a big arrow over your head saying 'CRIMINAL'.
This rant is really just a warning to fellow travellers that a US visa can be a liability, and ask whether anyone knows if it is possible to have two
passports. One with the visa for America only, and the other for the rest of the world with no hassle.
Hi All
Dek an interesting read there, but nothing i wouldn't have expected, as you said having a visa is going to make you stand out, i don't think i will ever holiday anywhere else whilst i have a US Visa for that very reason, most immigration will know UK citizens don't need a visa for the USA so the very fact you/we have one makes them wary.

Bubble i have a longer visa now so no more embassy visits for me for a very long time, last time i waited 16 weeks for a reply, i think this was because my previous visa had not expired, i.e i went in April to Embassy, traveling in Sept but old visa didn't expire till Aug so they waited for that to expire as you only need 1 day on a visa to be eligable to travel.

No bad experiance at Embassy or in US, Embassy said they would ask for a longer visa for me to save me having to go back again and again, chap said we would like to work with you and will request a longer Visa.....duely granted for which i was very grateful.

No problems in Orlando, chap took one look at passport and said ah you probebly know the drill by now eh? i said yes indeed and just walked myself off to the room, it was packed this time, previous visits 2 people max, i waited to be called in about 10 mins, was in room less than 2 mins guy was lovely as they always have been, asked how long i was staying and where, that was it, again at no point did i feel threatened/scared/intimidated or anything but made to feel very welcome, he stamped my passport and said enjoy vacation and i was allowed to go.
I did ask if i would always be subject to secondary questioning and he said yes, it's standard procedure and unless it was deleted i would always be asked to go for secondary interveiw, i told him it scared me at first but now i was ok and he said you have nothing to worry about whatsoever as i had been honest, i also told him that i was pleasntly supprised that i had always been treated very well by US Immigration and couldn't think of one bad experiance which he thanked me for.

So there you have it, we went on to have 21 fantastic days in Florida and can't wait to go next year, hope you have a fab time whenever you go, if i can ever help anyone please don't hesitate to contact me, been to the Embassy 3 times now so know most things about the proc :)
Jords
Hey Jords..

Thats great news.. I guess they have just let you go a few times & make sure you use your visa correctly etc which you have done so they have been good & issued a longer visa, how cool.. I hope we get that lucky one day, although im just greatfull to be able to go!! lol.. How long is your visa for? Thats what the officer said to us in Orlando, they give you this visa make sure you use correctly & then they maybe give you longer visa.. Anyway really happy for you.. Heres to many USA holidays :cheers

Also as your police certificate states no live trace if my memory serves correct? did you have to get the memorandum of convictions? Just wondered & thinking far ahead although i know times change.. :)
can I get sonme help please

Going to NY in March for 5 days as a birthday treat for hubby. Question is I've got the passports with plenty of date on them, all travel documents, print outs off flight details, hotel details, transfer docs etc and I've completed the ESTA. Do I need any other kind of visa?

I keep reading reports and get conflicting advice :(
Diane
Hello,

as long as you have filled in the ESTA & meet all the requirements on there you dont need a visa to travel.. You only need a visa for a holiday if for example you have a criminal record or any of the other questions the form asks you if you answer yes to them..which assuming you have ticked no to everything as you have your ESTA.. your all good to travel.. :) happy holidays :cheers
Not entirely true. I was under the impression that the only crimes that the US officials are interested in are crimes of 'Moral turpitude.'

Can someone clarify this?

As I am travelling to Florida in January 2011 with a criminal record - Drink driving. (It was a huge mistake, please no lectures as I have had thousands off the missus!) :whoops
Hi,
The wording on the USA Visa website says you must apply for a Visa if
you have been "arrested and/or have a criminal conviction".
A Drink Drive offence unfortunately covers both.
You may have a timeline problem getting a visa by January as you
have to go to the American Embassy in London for an interview before
a visa is granted.
I'm sure the Americans dont have direct access to the Police National
Computer (PNC) where the details of your conviction are kept.

Deka
Hello,

Yeah i also thought that if you had ever been arrested or convicted of any offence you should apply for a visa.. I think even if you ring the embassy they would tell you that you need to apply for a visa..

theres not enough time now as Deka said to apply for a visa.. How long ago was this? :)
If you put in moral turptitude into google and then go to wikipedia there is a long list of what does and does not count. Crimes not involving moral turpitude one of them is drunk and reckless driving. Please check it yourself to make sure I read it correctly
Hello,

but as Deka pointed out the embassy website states if you have ever been arrested and/or have a criminal conviction i dont think it states moral turpitude anywhere anymore, therefore expecting people with any arrest or conviction to apply for a visa.. again how much & what they know is a mystery.. its up to each every individual what they do

I also just had a look & you are correct in what it says on the website :)
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the Americans do email you to let you know tyhat your ESTA is about to expire and you know to apply again. I got an email yesterday. Now just another couple f dozen emails to get as all the ones for the students I took to america in the last two years expire (I put my email address on their applications).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.