Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Went to PDI for first time Summer 06 and would not return. We like to do similar and found that the bars/restaurants were in Centres.

Not been to PR but would give it a try.
PR for sure its fab!!

1st went 10yrs ago and loved it we went back in 2004 with my son and 2 neices and we are going again next month with my 2 sons one will be 6yrs and 1 18months.
It is a really nice resorts most of the bars and restaurants are in the 2 commercial centres the main one at the bottom and the europa at the top.
Plenty of variety as far as restaurants etc go and bars they have everything from Busy to family to quiet and relaxed i wouldnt go any where else in Gran Canaria.
Will let you know some good bars and restaurants when i get back.
Of course if you want to sit outside you could always go down to the harbour area or amadores beach has bars and restaurants aswell and its a beautiful beach.

Vicky
We went to PDI last Easter, our first time in Gran Canaria. To be honest, I wasn't really keen at all, although that may have been because our hotel (Barcelo Margaritas) was right at the back of the resort; but what we did see of the resort, I wasn't really impressed. We walked down to the Yumbo centre a couple of nights (shops and drag-artist bars) and also to another smaller centre nearer to the hotel, but there was nothing special about any of it. The whole resort seemed very 'German', and although I don't have a problem with other nationalities, I didn't feel as much 'at home' as I have done in Lanzarote or Tenerife.
Since then a lot people have suggested we try Puerto Rico, or Mogan or Taurito if we decide to go again.
hmm, having to choose between the 2 of PDI or PR, i would reluctantly go for PR. To anyone travelling to Gran Can for the first time, i would say go to neither of those places but PR is the lesser of 2 evils, however i still think it is a dump and full of looky looky people. I would recommend staying in Taurito or Mogan.
Still, i guess it depends what you are looking for in a holiday resort...enjoy it wherever you go...
Cyberspacekadette,

Unfortunately this is not the best initiation into Gran Canaria. PDI or "Playa del Germans" is definitely more continental than Brit.

Puerto Rico is more British but, as Val & Rob, say neither is the best if you want a good holiday. IMHO there are quieter and better places to stay which will give you a better feel of the island.

Personally I stay away from both these places and have never had a bad holidy in 15 years
up until about 6 months ago i would have suggested Amadores as well
(there is a lovely beach there) but with all the building, it is now more like an over spill with PR as the 2 are nearly merged now...

Taurito and Mogan are much more "cosmopolitan" in feel and there is a lovely mixture of nationalities. Taurito is quieter than Mogan and is based around the hotels there. Mogan is my favourite place on the island...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.