General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We've not had our holiday yet, but my husband (who is a smoker) is being quite brazen about the smoking rules at the moment - he can deal with it, its only a few hours etc etc. Im an ex-smoker myself and know that when I did smoke, I was having that last cigarette as they were calling my flight (very nervous flyer). I did still actually "enjoy" the smell of the cigarettes at the airport bar. Quite reassuring in a weird way :).

Mind you, last year, we didnt realise there was an outside smoking area at Mahon Airport and husband suffered the 2 hour wait and then 2½ flight without one - gritting his teeth the whole time. The cigarette was in his mouth and lighter poised as we hit the exit for the airport when we got home :roll:.

I will be intrigued as to how he does actually cope at the airport. And I suspect, that there will be a few more people this year with cigarettes and lighters poised after their flights, looking for exits :D If there are delays, I can see a lot of stressed flyers as well.

Sarah :)
I was told by a smoker friend she is going to wear a nicotine patch and have her last ciggies as late as poss and earliest opp at other end!!
We flew out the day after the smoking ban kicked in. Both of us are smokers.

We checked the bags in and then, instead of the usual going through to the airside, we hang about the landside of the airport, popping outside from time to time to have a cigarette. We went airside the latest we could which worked well.

After we landed into Egypt we had a cigarette whilst waiting for our luggage. No smoking ban there :wink: On the way back, smoking was allowed at Taba airport and thankfully our bags where already on the belt at Gatwick after we passed immigration.

Mark :D
I get my stuff checked in and then have a last ciggie before going through to departures. I just get it into my mindset that I won't be smoking for 6 hours and that's that.

I couldn't believe this year we got back to Manchester on 2nd July so the day after the ban came into place. On the bus from the plane to the gate a youngish couple each got a ciggie out and I'm thinking 'there's baggage and passport control to go through yet'. They proceeded to smoke whilst waiting at the carousels for their cases! :shock:

Nobody said a word to them. Erm, including me so I'm just as bad as the rest.
Just a thought about hanging back Landside to be able to have a last cigarette:

Getting through Security can be a nightmare, most of the airports we've flown from since the revised regulations came in (August 2006?) have had really long queues.

Just make sure your last cigarette doesn't result in you missing your flight.

Polly
one tip for those that must have a ciggie(i'm trying to stop after 40 years but do transgress).
i check in first, then go to the arrivals section and check that the incoming flights are on time, then a quick final ciggie and then through security.
i would try to avoid going through security until i was sure the flights looked as if they would be on time.
i may get to test this again on wednesday if the patches aren't working.
Well I shall go with the patches and light up the second I get out of the airport the other end.
It's going to be a long one this time. Have to check in 3 hours :shock: before flight, four hour flight and then however long it takes me to get out at the other end. :( Oh well I guess I will survive.

I am so going to give up when I get back.
So its the smokers who hold up the flights always the same all on the plane waiting for 2 or 4 how come 220+ can get to the gate on time ???
Last cig???
I doubt it mate cus those that delay the plane must have been airside a good 30 minutes before the plane takes off and once airside no-one can smoke so they won't benefit from hanging around!
i've worked it out

approx 7 hours without a smoke if i go straight through security and by the time we get outside the airport in larnacca

it will be a struggle i know but with all the smokers outside the airport
security should be a breeze for the non smokers :lol:
I'm not a smoker myself (gave up 8 years ago) but what about those inhalator thingies? OK they look a bit silly, sucking away on a little tube, but surely it should take the edge off the craving for a few hours?
i tied the inhalators a few years ago

cost me a fortune because i kept lighting them :lol:
i've got one of the inhalators and they do take the edge of the craving. i use mine when i'm at work.
i'll be taking mine with me,but i'm hoping that i wont have to use it.
I stopped at the smoking ban - 1st July. Thing is i'm now on 10 mars bars a day but still can't manage to light one!!!!
Why oh why do non smokers feel the impulse to keep having a dig?

Perhaps we might get one thing straight. I smoke out of choice. If, for whatever reason, I am unable to do so I do not fall down crying. Neither do other smokers.

We accept it and get on with our lives.

In my opinion that shows a far greater control than all those who spend their time criticising.

Non smokers on the other hand are suffering from withdrawal symptoms. Short of something to moan about!

For the record I have come across far worse habits from non smokers.

In my years in the motor trade I have been forced to ride in vehicles that bore a very close resemblance to my dustbin, yet the owners were anti smoking. Many could not survive without crisps and sweets.

When they were in a hire car they found they were often charged due to the amount of cleaning up after them. And I never had one complain about it. In some cases they admitted that when driving they needed to keep munching.

Is not that a case for concern?

My message is simple. You have got what you want. Many jobs are at stake due to the drop in business in pubs and clubs. A major brewery in Scotland reports a drop in sales of 16%

I doubt very much that planes are delayed due to smokers. More likely the delays are due to an arrogance that applies to smokers and non smokers alike, that the plane will wait for them.

fwh
i to agree......fwh..............and i am a non-smoker.......well now i am .since march.....
regards...............john-doe.........
You go FWH. What will the non smokers moan about now.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.