Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
holiday booked!
19 Posts
So Saggy where you going and which hotels. :)
Hi Sunbear, we are going to Phuket. Kuoni had a good deal so quick booked it before I started to read anymore posts...lol. We are staying at the Amari coral beach resort, I hope it's as nice as it looks?
Are there many 'western type' restaurants there?
Saggy
Hi Saggy,
spent a day at the Amari with friends who were staying there but this was a while ago (15 years?). Its just a little outside Patong (which is quite a plus point), a walk or short tuk-tuk ride away. Pleasant grounds with a small beach area and jetty access to the sea and some good snorkelling.

The hotel will provide western eating options and there are hundreds of restaurants in Patong for you to choose from.
Thank you for infomation Sunbear, I chose Amari Coral because it had a good review in Asiarooms but, then I started to 'panic' about how close it was to the 'colourful' side of Patong!
I have decided the next time we go to Thailand we shall go alone so that we can be flexible to see more.It sounds as if you are very familiar with Thailand.
Thank you for all your help :)
Saggy

P. S. First time travelling with Thai Airways, are they good? Any tips i.e. Better seats for longer legs etc...
I enjoy flying Thai, its like you're in Thailand before you get there. Smiling staff and good service even in economy. No seat back video but good for legroom, standard is about 34inch seat pitch.

The Amari is quite a private resort, so you feel like you are away from Patong even though really it is quite close by.
I agree Sunbear. Flew with Emirates last time, and it just wasnt the same.

Heading out either at New Year or February\March
I used Etihad the last time and I have to be honest I was well impressed, but I still have a soft spot for Thai International. They're very generous with the after dinner brandy.
Thanks Sunbear, I'm getting really excited, just over four weeks :D I have been doing a lot of 'homework' on the area.
Saggy
Saggy

Now that you have booked you can phone Thai Airways and pre book your seats at no cost. I have done this with my flights for March 08. Only thing is you cannot book exit seats they are only available when you get to the airport but shouldn't need them with Thai. By the way Thai are excellent to fly with, the service is second to none. Brilliant Airline.
Gotta agree. Thai are an excellent airline. Flew with Malaysia Airlines last time, and the crew just weren't as friendly - loads of complimentary booze though...
Gosh thank you for that tip mk61 but....which are the better seats :oops: Is it possible to book the seats online?
Thanks Wayne
Saggy
saggy look at seatguru website , they have the configurations for all airlines, we flew with Thai several years ago and about the last 3 rows at the rear of the aircraft have 2 seats instead of 3, if there are 2 of you I can recommend you try to book these , very comfortable.
Saggy

You can view the seat config, follow menu flying with Thai on their website (thaiairways.co.uk)and it will show you their fleet. You will have to phone them to pre book on 0870-606 0911 make sure you have your booking reference. but I agree with ShirleyV if you can get them go for the 2 seats together at the back of the plane, and I think it is rows 68 A and B are the best seats as the row of 3 in front they keep for a stretcher so providing nobody becomes extremely ill the seats in front will be unoccupied.
we have a Thai airways thread here. Perhaps those who have flown with them could add some comments to it? :D
Thank you MK..Shirly and Fiona, I would rather have comfort than TV's.
Saggy
Well... I have just tried to book 68 a/b and was told I was about 8 months too late :lol: oh well, good to know for another time.
As one of our group is a tad large, I was trying to find the best option for him but it seems the rest of the seating is all the same. Thai air even suggest booking an extra seat for obese travellers :oops: I'm sure he will be fine, not sure about the internal flight from Bangkok to Phuket though. Are the internal flight planes smaller?
Saggy
They use various planes on the internal flights according to demand. I've been on Airbus A300, Boeing 737 and 747.
Two other options is to check in early and ask for exit seats, but not the window as you have the door ledge obstructing your leg room, or bagsy some empty seats where you have two together.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.