Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Got to agree it was the very hot sun that made my wife sick or ill not the food .
People who do visit Turkey year after year know that it is a clean a beautiful country and that they will not get more sick there than anywhere else, it is just a shame that others don't believe it. It is their loss though

couldnt agree more Kedi

Hand on heart . Out of all the countries we have visited I have to say Turkey is the last place I actually expect to encounter stomach bugs . Admitedly we have always stayed in decent hotels but we have always found them some of the cleanest , highly maintained and hygenic places in the world . I have never had a problem even with the intense heat of the summer months. Oz was just very unlucky , especially when Karen ( Ellie meg ) has been travelling to turkey for years and numerous times each year . I dont think she would want to go anywhere else . :)

The problem is for those that have never been there is a vision that Turkey is a , dusty, dry, dirty place when in fact it is the complete opposite . clean , green and stunningly beautiful . I urge you to go and check for yourself tweetie , you wont be disappointed .

lyn
I had food poisoning when i was on holiday in Turkey this year...........that i contracted in the UK!!!!!!

never experienced anything as a direct result from holidaying in this country in all my visits, apart from the gruesome hangovers!! ;)
hi lyn... :offtop might get up the courage some day...about 14 yrs ago I actually planed a holiday for just me and hubby ...we really needed time out on our own...was going to surprise him...had been saving up hard for ages...Id never been abroad...so was wet around the ears....trusted the travel agent to come up with something suitable....believe it or not was turkey she suggested...I fell in love with a picture looking through a rock archway ...to the sea ...with greenery on hills rising up from the beach....think it was marmaris....I arranged all the details price dates ect....but just incase I wanted to tell him first....told travel agent would phone back and use credit card to book it....went home picking up passport aplications from post office on the way...chuffed with myself....when I got home he was making a brew in the kitchen... " how do you fancy a holiday just me an you in turkey maybe " I said....I was expecting a " wow ye if only we could afford it"....instead he said " no way **** goes there...dirty hole ...wouldnt go if you paid me "...I was upset but didnt say anything... ( animal) I thought .....so just phoned the travel agent back told her was a good job hadnt booked.......and kept my savings in the bank ...untill had enough to afford nice long family hols suitable for the children...he was funny about that one as well...but I took them all away on my own....17 days on his own taught him a valuable lesson...and we had years of going salou and euro disney on the way....then other places these past 4 years
Then about 6 yrs ago he changed his tune...began to pester about going to turkey :duh ...he's the type that if his friends doing it he wants to do it too...dont think he has ever grown up...one day I reminded him about the time Id asked him about going on hols to turkey...then I told him the full story...he was gutted ...and Id got my own back.....but lately been feeling sorry for him....thinking his last words to me could be " but I never saw turkey" and was thinking in a few years Id repeat what I did the first time...and just take the 2 of us...but was really put off reading this thread...after what you all now said maybe Ill get brave ....but will be on turkey forum pestering for info on bug free places ...nicest time to go when not to hot...and clean hotels....driving everyone potty like I usually do if Im trying somewhere new :rofl
Brilliant story Tweets

but I took them all away on my own....17 days on his own taught him a valuable lesson...

:rofl I so like your style . Wish I could be so brave

will be on turkey forum pestering for info on bug free places ...nicest time to go when not to hot...and clean hotels....driving everyone potty like I usually do if Im trying somewhere new

And we will all enjoy helping you :tup
I bet you came on here at the weekend to do exactly that and this was the first post you read . We are a friendly bunch here (except when we are all arguing about the benefits of SC V A/I) :rofl but we will do our best to help you choose wisely .

lyn
Hi all....I plan years ahead usually...always dreaming and making plans...last couple of years past plans been tipped on their heads....son qualified for kickboxing world championships...so last year all changed and I landed up in greece...instead of going back to callella de parafrugel as planned...

It was put off till this year...but plans scrapped again as found out son getting wed in rhodes this August and booked pefkos instead...where we had a lovely wedding and a great holiday....

Then had to do a late booking for hubbies surprise 50th in july....I was so wrapped up in sons wedding plans Id forgot it was this year......was in a rush so went on family recomended AI to Playa taurito in gran caneria....we all had a great time....

When it came to booking for next year....the plans had been agreed by all to go back callela de parafrugel as we werent going to make it this year....but by the time we'd come back from pefkos in august everyone had different ideas of where they wanted to go...callella de parafrugel, gran caneria , or rhodes...I didnt mind any of the 3 places...the sons all wanted to go to either of 2 ...both a different 2 and kept changing there minds.....my hubby though he liked gran caneria and callela de parrafrugel kept suggesting turkey....so I gave the youngest the choice ( as he'd give me the biggest head ache if he didnt want to go)......he chose gran caneria ...so its now booked for next july.....hubby not very enthuisiastic....think he thought he had a chance for turkey.

We all want to go back callella de parrafrugel in 2011...and I want to go Santorini for my 60th in 2012....so hubby thinks he's no chance for turkey....but I was planning a little surprise for him...for 2011....as will have a family hol booked he wont even suspect....as only the 2 of us will be going dont have to worry about month ect as long as not in 6 week summer hols as thats when we will be going to callela de parafrugel......or dec or january ....so have plenty of time to decide best month...best place...best hotel....best time to book to get a bargain..sure you all have a few suggestions for a week that wont break the bank...its the jabs that might be needed ...and how to get him them without him suspecting ...think I get away with him thinking he needs a flu jab...what jabs do you need for turkey

Some of you might have followed my posts when I was sorting his surprise 50th....I love the cloak n dagger stuff
its the jabs that might be needed ...and how to get him them without him suspecting

Unless advice has changed tweets .No jabs needed .

We have had them but only because we have also been to Egypt the last few years but never had them to go to Turkey previous to that.
tweetie pie,like you we went to Callelade Parafrugel for about 8 years on the run,(La Siesta)and loved it,but we decided on Turkey for a change,and have fell in love with the place,and its just like the pictures you said you had seen,its a beautiful country,the people are the nicest I have ever come across,and I also have to say that the food is the best ever.
it hasnt put us off as ive been visiting turkey for around 27 years and all over the country and this is the first time 1 of us has been so ill, and it could have happened anywhere, just very unfortunate. hes still very ill and its taking its toll , hes lost another half stone, in constant pain, being a nightmare to live with :cry , he bought some antispasmodic tabs in turkey that seemed to help, but back to the drs yet again this week :duh , when is this going to end :(
hi crispy....it was salou we went for about 10 yrs running with siesta on the coaches...flew the last year...in the 3yrs since then have coached it to callela de parafrugel with siesta...too awkward to fly....only went once and really want to go again.... then Tolo on mainland greece...playa taurito in gran caneria...lastly pefkos in rhodes .... next year am taking son to france for world kick boxing champion ships again , Ive passed through and stayed overnight in france many times but not spent real time there so that will be a new one for me too...and have booked family hols to gran caneria again...friends are saying Im spreading my wings and becoming a globe trotter.... :fly ....there are places Id like to go before I land up on a pension and watching the pennies...santorini is one of them....so want to take him turkey too....everytime we come back from abroad he says ye he enjoyed it ....but would like to try turkey...so he better like it when he gets there :rofl
Oh karen .I thought his weight had finally started to stabilise . This is taking a huge toll on you all now .

Do you think it might be time to take up that private appointment
hes actually seen a gastroenterologist when he was in hospital who said if things didnt improve then he could go back to drs to get another appointment to see him and he wouldnt have so long to wait next time, so that private appointment is now pointless, i think hes getting either depressed or worse, his state of mind at the moment is all over the place, men grrr
hi ellie meg....something is definatly not making any sense....and Ive had a lot of stomache troubles in the past...but was infected gall bladder then ulcers and then they found I had that helebactor bug in my stomache ...causes ulcers...and other stuff if it gets out of hand... deppressed is an understatement when it drags on and on...and you feel rotten all the time...if I hadnt had a bad bleed...got urgent appointment for camera an biopsy I might still be in the same unhappy state now...believe me I sympathise with your hubby...thats why I am so afraid of tummy bugs..had enough of pain sickness ect...and the thought of my kids suffering that way horrifies me..

When I was really ill there were a few things made me feel better...ginger ale ...or ginger beer left to go flat...the ones that have real ginger in....or crystalized ginger from the healthfood shops....just nibble away at it.....another is plain live bio yogart ...I like fresh papaya fruit too and later found its supposed to be really good for you as has enzmes in that help your digestion..

A lot of the old remedies work really well too...arrow root is good for loose bowls...they used to give babies it ...they used to use give them arrowroot biscuits either to nibble or made into a paste with water...Ive used this for my kids when they were little on my nans advice and it worked... if hubby likes biscuits a packet of them in for him to nibble his way through wouldnt do any harm

It sounds like everything he is eating is not staying in his system long enough to be absorbed...even adding to the problem by irritating things as it passes through..or feeding the bug thats causing him to be ill......the old remedy was to starve for 24 or even 48hrs if bowels still loose...drinking only boiled water....then they found that if the salt sugar balance wasnt right in the bowels symptoms could carry on ...so added to the boiled water was a teaspoon full of sugar and a pinch of salt to each pint.....thats basically whats in the sachets they send to 3rd world countries to save the babies lives ....here its sold under brand names and we pay through the nose for it with a few added extras...but its the salt and sugar in the right ratio that is the active ingredients...something you can get your hand on anywhere you holiday in the world.....the diaoriah ( cant spell) will go on even after reason for it has passed through as the bugs cause this unbalance...it creates the right conditions for it to thrive and be passed on...putting the balance right helps a lot....the fluid helps wash the bugs out

There are tablets that stop loose bowels and can work in certain cases but in others they can hinder the body trying to do its job...and thats why they say if symtoms come back after taking a set amount then seek medical advice..

Sending you and your hubby hearfelt wishes for a speedy recovery...hope things start sorting themselves out soon
hi ellie meg....hope things getting better for hubby....tweetie
I've just recently been in the intensive care unit. First class treatment. Spotlessly clean and fantastic staff. Just couldn't fault the the place. In my oplnion it's better than most NHS hospitals. So much attention to every detail.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.