Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Ellie its been awful reading this about your husband I hope they get it sorted soon he has been through the mill lately so sorry to read about your friend too its been hard for you too so much for you to deal with http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/joannekerr36/mums%20funnies/godbless.gif colleen
thanks everyone, today has been a very bad day for me, i went into melt down this morning grr, but my oldest daughter came over and i dont feel quite so bad now , think all the mths of worry and today being darrens birthday have really got to me :duh . he had his CT scan at lunchtime but no news so far , just got back from the hospital and now having to go and try and be strong for my best mate to celebrate darrens life is going to be very hard :cry
Must be so hard for you Karen but I'm sure your friend appreciated you being there.

Hope today brings good news about the CT scan.

Lesley xx
Couldn't read and not post....
Try and take a day at a time.
Please up-date when you have time,we're all thinking of you both.
hes still in hospital, but on less pain killers and theres a mild possibility he might be out today fingers crossed, he saw the gastroenterologist yesterday who basically said that he thinks its post irritable bowel syndrome due to severe food poisoning, so at least now we know it was food poisoning and not appendix and the change in the weather that the marmaris hospital tried to put it down to, i have a bad feeling they knew it was food poisoning pumping him with loads of drugs via drips 24/7 but didnt want bad publicity , he also said because he had it so bad it can take a year to recover and certain foods, these 4 being the main coffee, chocolate, cheese and wine cause it to flare up and he has to avoid them , he doesnt drink coffee so thats ok, but he had swapped wine for beer, thinking that the beer in turkey had contributed to his problem, so by drinking wine these last few months it has obviously been the worst thing he has done :yikes . he said this can account for the weight loss and certainly the pain. he said now hes been seen by him if it gets worse he must go back to drs and he will get a quick referral. dr also said the bowel area is near the appendix but the hospital in turkey would not have known if it was appendix or not, thank goodness they didnt remove them like they were going to grr, hes also got this infection going on too ,which is not connected to his bowel problem,probably got it cause his immune is low,which antibiotics will sort out. 2 drs yesterday said he can still go on hol providing he eats sensibly, he has to see the surgical dr this morning as he makes the final decision whether he can leave today or not , so fingers crossed,hes been in longer than i was for my section lol :que
its amazing that food poisoning can cause up to a year of problems, just wish i knew were he got it from but i do have my suspicions now :duh
Thats much better news Karen and hopefully that will gradually improve now he knows what to avoid . :kiss
So glad you have at last got some answers,hope it doesn't last a year,that is an awfully long time for recovery from food poisoning.Do you still think it may have been the casserole that had a lot of olive oil in? We go to Turkey in a fortnight ,think I'll be really careful what we all eat as my tummy is temperamental .Give your hubby my best wishes for a speedy recovery .T.
i have my suspicions it was the chicken casserole, we had the night before, mine had loads of olive oil in and his didnt, i remember sayin this is very greasy and tipping the oil out of mine and oz saying mines fine :que and we commented at the time odd how we ordered the same casseroles and 1 is oily and the other isnt, it might not have been that but , i would say im 85% sure it was, his might have been an old one from the night before, difficult to know :que
Thats good news Ellie i did think off irritable bowel syndrome as my neighbour was very poorly with it he had been eating to much spicy food at the time , i didnt say anything coz im not a doctor and its best to let them sort it out , you have been through a lot of stress love get to Turkey and chill out :) , a tip ellie there is a beer sold over there named Vole its not as gassy as effes might be good for your hubby if he drinks that .
All the best Mick
Ellie,

Have just read of your terrible ordeal.
We returned from Turkey the end of August and my husband is still in terrible health. He does suffer from intestinal ulcers from time to time so when he suffered an attack of severe abdominal cramps and the runs whilst on holiday we just thought that his ulcers had flared up, but he also had a raging temperature, vomitting, and the shakes, which he doesn't normally get with an ulcer attack.
It was touch and go getting him home.
Once home we went to the doctors and he said that it was most probably gastroenteritis and a stool sample was tested. The sample did not show anything but still my husband was no better and he had already lost a stone in weight.
Now, 2 months later, he still has some pain and bleeding in his stools, and though back at work he cannot function as before, we keep going back to the doctor but he seems mystified, though he did mention that Turkey is a blackspot for this kind of complaint. We have not yet tried the hospital, are trying to overcome this with a gentle lactose free diet, and he has put on a little bit more weight.
But can well understand your anguish.
Don't think we will ever feel confident enough to travel somewhere hot again.
Not commented up to now but I have been following this thread. First of all my best wishes for you both that this gets sorted out as things must feel very grim.
All hospital have to have a customer service just like any other business now and a formal complaint to them will do a power of good as regards info etc. It really moves them and your husabnd will find he is treated much better and they do speed things up. It can be done by phone so I would have ago Good luck Marg
they let him out about 8pm last night, but hes not very well, extremely tired, still in pain, and moody grr but only to be expected i guess, he had to wait all day yesterday to see dietician who never turned up :que , so lets hope now he knows he cant eat chocolate, cheese and drink wine things might get better

ardath

i hope your husband recovers from his illness quickly,most of his symptoms arent the same as my husbands, but dont let it drag on like it did

karen
hubby slowly on the mend, but on lots of medication and in still in pain, just spoken to insurance co and they will cover him for his infection and IBS at £30 for the year , which we thought was very good.

darrens funeral is tomorrow so not looking forward to that, never been to a burial before :cry

just when i think things are getting back to normal, my oldest daughter has just rung in tears her little dog has just been run over and killed omg what else can happen to us, shes 36 weeks pregnant too, so ive tried to calm her down, this has been the worst 4 mths ive ever had, surely our luck will change grrr :yikes

thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread and has pm'd me , its nice to have some support :tup
Glad to hear there are signs hubby's on the mend Ellie-Meg. You need to get away and enjoy your hols now. Best wishes once again.
Glad Oz is on the mend Karen, you are really having a stressful time, thinking of you!
It's going to be a tough day for you. Will be thinking about you.
x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.