Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
yes it is disgusting and thats why it left us no choice but to book a private consultation as there were no nhs appointments available and she couldnt tell us how long we would wait ,only that she would contact us when one comes available. hes tired all the time and had to go to bed early evening for 2 hours sleep which he never does, the pain is still there but had gone to work this morning as he doesnt get paid being self employed but im half expecting him to come home, as over the weekend he was doubled up in pain, ill try and contact him in about an hr to see how he is, as he got up at 6 and i was still asleep oops lol

just wish i knew what had caused it as we ate the same meal the night before he started to feel ill, we had chicken casseroles at our friends restaurant so thats a worry, but i remember saying to him mine was in too much olive oil and tipping the oil out and he said his was fine, so im wondering now whether his could have been one from the previous day or whether im being paranoid :que , but very strange that mine was so oily and his wasnt , but its difficult to pin point the actual meal that could have caused this
I'm sure when a GP does a referral to a Consultant, they can either do a normal referral on to a waiting list or an urgent referral, unless the system changes from one part of the country to another.

Karen do you think it could be Lamida Giardia ? If you google it you will get the symptoms, it can cause a dramatic weight loss and often drags on and on, but provided Oz was fit when he caught it he should eventually be fine as I think it's what is called self limiting, which I have always assumed means eventually goes away on its own. It's really easy to catch, swimming pools, food, drink etc
I understand what your saying doepsmc a few years back i started to have dizzy spells and lost weight very fast i went to my doc who sent me to casualty, once there i had blood test done my hemoglobing was very high they faxed the consuntant this was on the friday i was sent home and i saw her on the tuesday morning treatment started tuesday afternoon , Ellie i would push your doc to fax the consultant rapid weight loss should not be made to wait love .
ive tried looking that up chris but cant find it, is it spelt correctly

i totally agree that this shouldnt have been left this length of time ,i was so concerned i actually got an emergency appointment to see the senior dr , a week last fri and i asked him to speed things up and he said he couldnt do anything as the nhs are having problems at the moment and it was out of his hands, he could only intervene if the appointment came through and was further than 4 mths away, i think this is totally disgusting ,leaving someone with rapid weight loss and intense pain, we will see what consultant says tom night and hopefully we will get some answers
Perhaps I have spelt it wrong as I have rubbish spelling , I will have a looksee, as I am sure that was what I had.

this is one of the links i found

http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx
  • Edited by doe 2009-10-05 12:57:37
Could it be giardia lamblia? There is a whole host of parasites called giardia which can cause types of gastro-enteritis, and that's one of them.
hiya yes I think you are right blondiescot :tup at the time I had this which was probably during August last year and maybe begining Sept I did a fair bit of reading on it, it kind of gradually fadded away after about 4 maybe 5 weeks with me. You think you have got rid of it and then you have another dodgy day. I did speak to someone at work who is a kind of alternative heath practitioner and she said it is relatively common, and in a fit person cures itself over time, so I didn't take any antibiotics, but I guess it may have gone sooner if I had. I think the slang term for it is travellers diarrhea, but it varies in severity.
just read some of that link chris, some of his symptoms are there, he did have severe diarrhea and couldnt get off the loo or even drink a teaspoon of water, it was running out of him but no blood or mucus,he did have dehydration, slight temp, intense pain around his appendix, that when the drs pressed wasnt too bad but when they released their hands the pain was intense , apparantly this is classic symptoms of appedicitus. he had various tests done in turkey and they said it wasnt salmonella, but a severe bacterial bowel infection that had spread to his appendix. drs in the uk are saying they dont think its anything to do with his appendix , but more likely caused by food or drink poisoning and the bowel area is in similar place to appendix hence pain in that area, all scans, stool,urine and blood samples have come back fine, except slight low white blood cell count, but thats due to his immune system being so low the dr said. hes got to have another scan done in a different area that we are waiting to hear from ,due to this recent new infection. he doesnt have diarrhea any more nor has had it since being back in the uk, but the pain hasnt gone away, and severe weight loss.

hes just text me and said the pain is slightly less today, so maybe these antibotics have kicked in, this is day 3 of taking them
Sounds different then as I think he would still be having loose bowel movements, even if it was just once or twice a day. Lets hope that tomorrow gives you some more information. Its really difficult when there isn't a definative diagnosis. :(
Hi ellie,it's spelt haemoglobin,hope it helps,with any luck you will know more tomorrow.Condolences on the loss of your friend,Darren.T.
he got a lot worse tonight, so took him to see emergency dr , i went with him shes now suspecting appendicitus again grr, anyway drrang hospital to admit him , no beds available :yikes , so told me to take him to A&E, so on the way back home to pack his things he got worse, couldnt move so had to call ambulance grr, anyway ive just come back from hospital, theres no bed available hes on a trolley in a cubicle possibly for the night and the dr hadnt even been to see him in 3 hrs, think that sums up the state of the nhs absolutely appalling, hes had morphine as pain was so bad. so fingers crossed at long last they do something :duh
Your poor husband ,he's really having a bad time of it,you are too.hope he soon gets better,thinking of you,T.
Ellie-Meg
Keep thinking this couldn't get worse for you ..............and then it does. Well now he is in hospital, hopefully he will have all the necessary tests carried out to determine exactly what's going on. It is a shocking state of affairs that there is no bed for him though! Makes the hospital in Marmaris seem not so bad after all - you've been home quite a while and not really gotten far with the NHS re diagnosis. Hopefully the next day or two will throw light on the situation and get Oz on the road to recovery.
Sending my best wishes to you both and I'm sure you'll post to let us know what happens.
Just seen this karen, at least he is in hospital now even if he is on a trolley, hopefully he will be on a ward by the morning and then you might get a bit of progress. NHS now seems to be full of managers but no medical staff.
How awful for all of you. Lets hope that now he's in the hospital something will get done. You must be shattered with this and with your friends.
Thinking about you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is a realy frightening saga Elli-Meg. I think it's disgusting that your husband is so bad that he's on morphine, yet he's just been left on a trolley without being seen by a doctor :duh I hope to goodness that they won't send him home again until they find out exactly what's wrong with him. NHS my ar** - Sorry, I'm just lost for words.

Good Luck and best wishes.
Oh karen . I've only just seen this and like shirley I'm utterly speechless . :banghead:

I agree with everybody else , this whole sorry saga is appallling from start to finish but for the doctor to now suspect his appendix as the Turkish hospital did originally just about puts the cherry on the turd .

Will be thinking of Oz and of course you karen today and naturally I wish you the best of luck in the hope that this can now be dealt with .

I think your doctor, as many do, has a lot to anser to karen :(

Sending you my love and some much needed hugs :ghug

lyn x
i ran him at midnight last night & they have put him on a ward full of old ladies :que , and were just about to do an xray. he had to have 2 lots of morphine as the first lot didnt help much, he said the dr said he didnt think it was his appendix grr and more likely his bowel, how can so many drs diagnose different things, it doesnt give you much faith in them, hes mob battery has run out grrr , so cant speak to him now til i go in to visit this afternoon :duh

just rang the hospital, they said hes ok whatever that means, and to ring back after dr has done a review on him later this morning, i said i hope you dont let him out without sorting this out as its been going on for about 3 mths and she said she didnt know what was happening, not sure what to do re this appointment tonight, whether to cancel now or wait til later this morning, my head is all over the place, hardly slept :duh
the thing is at the surgery he saw 4 different drs, so which one do you blame or all 4 :yikes , except the one last night that actually did admit him
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.