Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Your hubby should eat plain foods, like madeira cake, rice pudding etc whch won't upset him and give him some energy.

Thinking of you all.
have been following this thread but been on hols for a week just back today, was wondering if your hubby is any better now.
hope he is.
regards tracey
Hiya ellie, ive not been on here for a while, so only just read this thread... must admit ive had tears in my eyes, you poor things, what an awful time youve had these last few months, hope this is now a turning point in your lives, and your daughters birth goes smoothly and celebrations to be had... also hopoe you managed to go on your holiday and had an enjoyable break...certainly sounds like you need it!

take care hunny

clare xx
we have just got back from our holiday this morning after a night flight, so will write reviews later. we had 1 scare when last fri he vomitted all day and alarm bells started ringing but it was a 24 hr sickness bug that went around the hotel and my daughter and i got it the next day apart from that he was ok ish, not gained any weight over the hols nor lost any, hes still in a lot of pain and had to buy some more pain killers whilst there, he found the antispasmodic ones good, hes going to see how he is this week and then go back to drs again and ask to see dietician etc . sadly the second hotel we stayed in the olu deniz resort hotel the food was so bad we had to eat out most days, watch out in the next few days of the reviews on TA as there was so many complaints there and most people have taken photos and are going to try and get their money back :duh , apart from that we had a reasonable holiday ,but the weather wasnt very good !!
Ah Karen .Good to see you back safe and sound . At least He's not lost any more weight so hopefuly it's only a matter of time before things start to improve.

Sadly reports dont seem to be what they were for Olu Deniz resort which is a shame .
Hi Ellie and welcome home fingers crossed hubby improves all the time now , dying to know the name of hotel you stayed in lol Olu denez is on our list of places to visit .
"Olu Deniz resort " resort Mick .

Sadly once a hotel with brilliant reviews seems to be going down the pan under it's new Russian management .
i think down the pan is being kind lyn, i wouldnt even have give the food to my dog !!!

breakfast was fine. lunch and dinner virtually the same and was a choice of a few salads and about 8 hot items , these hot items were the same every day, fish ,chicken, over cooked burgers, cold chips, oily pasta, large peppers, sprouts and rice and that was it, the chicken was either in some salty greasy sauce or so over cooked it actually stuck to the roof of your mouth !!, ive taken photos it was that bad. desserts at lunch was about 3 bright coloured blamanche things , fruit and sometimes ice cream, ill do a report now
ellie
sorry but i dont think i seen the hotel you were stayin at what the hotel called ,
as we were leaving and trying to explain to them we didnt need to pay excess as insurance company had guaranteed full payment to them etc and got no where , we found them fairly agressive, 1 girl who spoke perfect english and i assumed was something like dutch even followed me and listened to my phone call to my insurance co which i thought was a bit much, but in the end they totally refused to accept this so we had to pay, there were 2 young english girls who looked about 18-20 who came over to me and said they were having the same problem and were on their own there, they had kept the girl who had been in hospitals passport and refused to give it her back, her mother had from the uk had paid the insurance the excess as the girls didnt have enough money to pay and the hospital were refusing to accept this too, we left before it was sorted out, but i did say to this dutch looking woman looks a common problem this access not needing to be paid and she just shrugged at me

the hospital did look clean, hubby got good treatment although they never communicated with him to tell him what they were giving him and what was wrong etc very much and the staff were not very friendly he said, hes still got pain so going to his dr in the morning

Please forgive me but I have read and re-read this thread and I can't believe after such a bad experience you would return to Turkey!? Must admit I faltered over a few pages but think I got the gist of the situation and find it amazing that you would return.
i had already booked this holiday for oct in jan so it was booked before oz took ill, i also have family in turkey and we have been going for many years and this was the first time either of us had been seriously ill, we had a the odd turkey tummy for a day but not as bad as this , so i wont let this bad experience put me off turkey as i love the country
hi all.....have just read all 13 pages of this thread....and am mortified by what I have read....seems lots of people very ill turning up at a turkish hospital...some getting given diagnosis of apendicitus...some even being operated on.....hearing then that a food poisoning bug seems to affect the apendix...I hear very loud alarm bells ringing....especially when some one wonders if turkish hospital knows about this type of food poisoning and not wanting bad publicity for the area.....hearing about ellie megs husband...and others too....how this food poisoning affects you....how bad it is...the long term affects....and if you cant trust eating in a friends resturant....which is where ellie meg suspects her husband caught it....where can you eat safely ...

My husband has pestered for years about going to turkey....and I never fancied going ....as heard about how you get pestered all the time to eat in the resturants and go buy in the shops....needing to barter all the time or is seen as an insult...it just isnt me...I like to wander round in peace mooching...I like to see a price on things and decide if its fair....but thought one day would take him.... but pick a hotel I could just chill out in for a week....not bother exploring like I would usually do..

The reason he's had a urge to go turkey is because we have a few sets of friends who've been...and enjoyed it....one set went with children... the first time came back full of how nice hotel had been ect...came back with a stomache bug though....went second time ...came back saying hotel was a dump ect ...and another stomache bug

Other friends have been they usually have either had or come back with a stomache bug....they seem to accept it as part and parcel of the holiday...

If there was any chance of me ever taking a holiday in turkey...after reading this thread...I would be too worried about exposing myself or my family to the risk..

Then to hear ellie meg went back...and picked up more stomache bugs ...and other problems...just strengthens how I feel about the risk

Hope things getting better ellie meg...If in your position I would only visit family...and only eat your mums cooking while you were there
Ellie meg is right though. Unfortunately her hubby fell ill, but it will not stop her returning time and time again :)

In 2001 my youngest daughter contracted salmonella and cryptosporidium in Benidorm :( However it has not stopped me returning there time and time again. :)

Sorry that went a bit :offtop :whoops
hi debbie...not saying ellie meg wrong to go back....but that reading through this thread and what she and others have gone through...reading that they got another stomache bug when they went back hoping for a holiday to help get over the first bug really finnished off any ideas I had of going turkey....thats me...like I said I have friends who seem to think its part of the holiday...getting the bugs doesnt seem to bother them....but it frightens the life out of me
I have been going to Turkey sometimes twice a year for the last seven years,eating in different restaurants every night,and not once have I had a tummy bug.
I dont get any stomach bugs either in the years I have been going to Marmaris and Icmeler, but my Husband always has upset stomachs even though we eat the same things. It just shows that we are all different internally and some people have better tolerance to some foods.

This is the same case as when we go to Benidorm and other parts of Spain too, not just Turkey.
We go to Turkey twice a year this Sept my wife got the stomach bug, a quick trip to the Chemist a chat with them tablets sold to us after ten mins, next day my wife was much better said best tablets she ever had :) , we are going back in June best country in the world for us.
None of us have ever been ill during our many visits to Turkey. The worst holiday "illness" we've ever encountered was when my daughter, then aged six, became very very ill after contracting cryptosporidium while we were staying at Center Parcs in the Lake District. I think I've only ever picked up a tummy bug once while on holiday, and that was in the Costa del Sol!
People get stomach bugs in all countries not only in Turkey and I have to say that in all the time I have spent in Turkey I have never been ill, nor have any of my friends or family.

It is unfortunate when people are sick but it can happen anywhere. We decided to have a holiday in Lanzarote for a change last year, the first time we have not been to Turkey for years, and me and my husband were both ill there and had to visit the doctor.

It does annoy me when people go on about how everyone gets sick in Turkey as it is just not true, people just do get sick on holidays all over the world, mainly due to excess sun, drink, rich food, not drinking enough water etc. not always by stomach bugs.

People who do visit Turkey year after year know that it is a clean a beautiful country and that they will not get more sick there than anywhere else, it is just a shame that others don't believe it. It is their loss though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.