Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Re: biting fish
32 Posts
Hi Gould
These fish !, dont know !! take a load of bread into the sea with you as a diversion :)
But you can protect yourself against ,mozzies, by various means, sprays, lotions, plug in repellants for you room etc, but especialy! dont use perfumed deoderants. and try to keep away from any damp humid foilage or plant life.
Also your diet, they recon a lot of garlic, which affects your sweat glands, but Ive yet to work that one out?, how long before or how much??
Peli
right peli, thats on my list to go in my case bread!, and wheres that marmite (heard that works lol). i think i may just keep by the pool, let the others go in the sea and if they come out with skin on then i know im safe :rofl.

a film that i watched which put me of for ages of going in the sea, is poping in to my mind. cant think what its called! :rofl
i think it was called PIRANHA :D
There are hardly any Mosquitos around Lara Beach and as for Biting Fish well the only ones that I know of are the ones that will nibble at Hard skin or a scab. You would not even feel them.I live here and Mrs goes swimming every day without any problem.Don't worry !

Ian
they were partial to my hubbys toes in icmeler and marmaris although they didnt hurt him, so he just kept afloat :rofl
Hi All
Dont want to appear controvertial here but, if someone in the fishing fraternaty can put us right on this
Have these fish got teeth??
As far as Im aware they havnt, the encounters Ive had is a nibbling and sucking sensation
So where is all the blood and pain coming from, apart from them pulling scabs off.
Peli
One of the top fishing tricks is to put a scent trail into the water to attract the fish.
In South America, kids happily swim in pirranha infested rivers, but not if they have a cut or scab as this too leaves a scent trail in the water.
I would imagine that the same applies and that a scab or weeping mossie bite would attract the fish.
The fish that nibble do not have teeth. You will not have a problem.

Ian
Alan Wall,

The book was called Shark Attack (believe it or not) I am into sea fishing and like books like that. Believe me, I was as shocked at the picture as you are about my posting but as others have posted on here, Great Whites have been found in this area before just as I believe they are now being seen in British waters also.
The 1st year we went to Marmaris was about 6 years ago,we did a lazy day boat trip and was told when we went into the sea for a swim in one of the bays that the fish may just nip!! Well we have been going every year since and swimming in the sea and Ive not seen a fish or had one nip me while Ive been swimming.
I have psoriasis and we are all in Crete Greek Island in Mediterranean and our first visit in the sea today I kept feeling a frightful nip on my legs front and back put my swim goggles on and it's a white fish with a stylish little teeth maybe only interested as I have dead skin or sore skin but God it made me jump its only when you stand still and I'm gonna put some oil on tomorrow. To see if it stops them. We went to zante last year which isn't far round the west coast of Greece and had no problems then. Wouldn't mind them sucking on ya skin but these little sods bite. Nothing major though
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.