Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi

I stayed at the Laguna Mar last September and had a fantastic holiday.

I really liked the hotel and the rooms were clean and a reasonable size. The air conditioning worked well which was really good as it was HOT!

The hotel beach was nice and the restaurant on the beach served fantastic food.

I would recommend swimming with dolphins and the jeep safari tour of the island if you're thinking about excursions.

If you've got any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

Rach
Hi there,
Thanks for all the info. Swimming with dolphins sound fantastic. Did you book it through the hotel or your rep.? Can you remember roughly how much it cost?
I was wondering if the rooms have any tea/coffee making facilites in them? As I do like my cup of coffee before breakfast. Also do they have irons or hairdriers. As I packed all those things when we went to Jamaica. And when we got there. They were all in the rooms. So I could have saved on the packing lol.
Could you give me any idea of prices overe there as well please. E.G taxi's meals out (if we decide to have one) etc.
Thanks again.
Sue
Hiya,

I booked swimming with dolphins through the rep and I think it cost $50 which I thought was reasonable. There is also a facility to book things through the hotel but I thought that the prices from the reps were pretty reasonable too.

I'm pretty sure that the rooms had tea and coffee facilities, but you might want to check with the tour op before you go. On each floor there was an ice machine and water available so you could fill up a jug provided (as with most of these places you can't drink the tap water - or even brush your teeth with it for that matter). The rooms also have a fridge so if you buy any drinks that will obviously keep them cool!

The room definitely had a hairdryer but I'm not so sure about the iron...

We were only there a week so other than the excursions we didn't venture out of the hotel, but from talking to other people there everything was really really cheap. I remember the rep telling us that she could fill up her car with petrol for about $2 - so that should give some indication of how little everything costs over there.

The LagunaMar is just down the road from a massive shopping mall, so if you fancy hitting the shops it's highly recommended as the whole island is tax-free.

They use the US Dollar and as the exchange rate with the £ is so good for us at the moment it makes things a complete bargain.

BTW the hotel has 2 a la carte restaurants that you can use once each per week. I really enjoyed the food at the Mexican but wasn't quite so impressed with the Italian (but might have had something to do with the fact that I'd had too much sun that day :? ) As I said in my previous post, the restaurant on the beach was fab and also the snack bar did good food too.

Thinking about it all makes me want to go back now!

Rach.
Hi

We went to the Laguna Mar in May 2003, with my elderly father and 3 year old. We had an excellant holiday, but the hotel was empty which meant a lot of the restaurants were closed. No food for the children, but the staff were brill and went out and bought us some fruit for her. No queing for drinks either, but this was quite lethal as they would just keep topping your glass up.
Also we we pretty much had the pools to ourselves, so could go on the slides non-stop. The kids water park was also very good and our daughter loved it.

We would like to go back, but only if hotel busier mainly for food sake for our daughter, although we may not like it as much if we had to queue up for the slides!

Can you ley me know how your holiday goes please. If you want any more info or some pics just write back to me

Cheers and happy holiday.
We went last April & it was fantastic !!! very very hot!!
food was very good to start but got a bit boring late on , we got into a taxi & went to the nearest town for wonderful seafood!
My 6 year old loved it, loads to do fantastic games & 11 or 12 swimming pools.
excellent shows nearly every evening.
the air con. was a bit smelly but that would be the only complaint.
we got a taxi from the airport to avoid waiting to book in & it was well worth it, we got to our rooms freshen up & were back in the bar by the time the bus arrived.
toiletries were expensive, did some trips, none worth writing home about.
would go again :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.