Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi,

I can't comment on Djerba but around Hammamet, Sousse and PEK you'll find that most of the hotel staff will speak good enough English for you to get by and the reception staff in particular will probably have a very good level of spoken English. Outside of the hotel you'll find that others who are in frequent contact with tourists eg taxi drivers etc will have good enough English for what you'll need to communicate about too. But amongst people who don't necessarily have much contact with tourists and amongst officials and bureaucrats you'll find that because Tunisia is an ex-French colony most people's first second language (if that doesn't sound too cockeyed!) is likely to be French, especially amongst the older generations who will have been taught French at school in preference to English. Brushing up on your French is a good idea because it is very unlikely that you'll come into contact with someone who doesn't at least speak a little of either of them. And of course, regardless of what other languages they speak, everybody will always appreciate it if you try out a few arabic phrases too.

SM
SM is right, You should be fine - we found that in general most staff in the hotel / restaurants etc. spoke English at some level, despite it being quite far down on their list of more well spoken languages (i.e Arabic and French).
Djerba hasnt yet been found by the british so English is not widely spoken but its widely spoken elsewhere - along with french, german, dutch, russian, arabic and more then likely a few more :)

Just wait till you hear a bingo caller :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.