EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
First of all if he is not 65 then he will not be able to get cover under the Spanish health system unless he makes a monthly contribution which is €85 PM in round figures.

If he is 65 and over then he needs to get his E121 form from the Department of Pension and Works which will entitle him to medical cover here and if he has that then you will automaticaly be covered as you are classed as his dependent until you are 65 yourself then you can claim your own E121 in your own right.

Another thing you both need to do is get an E106 form again from the DP&W which will give you medical cover here for a limited period depending on how long he has been makeing National Insurance contributions in the UK.

You realy need to talk to the DP&W before you leave the UK to get this info and any forms that might be needed.
A little more info for you found here

*Edit sorry have had to remove quote as it belongs to the website in the link - Glynis*
If he is 65 and over then he needs to get his E121 form from the Department of Pension and Works which will entitle him to medical cover here and if he has that then you will automaticaly be covered as you are classed as his dependent until you are 65 yourself then you can claim your own E121 in your own right

Does this work the other way round ? i.e. Can a younger man be classed as a dependent of a retired woman for health cover purposes ?
Are you saying you're a toy boy Cyberhiker :wink:
Does this work the other way round ? i.e. Can a younger man be classed as a dependent of a retired woman for health cover purposes ?
Yes it does provided he/she has been registered with the Spanish National Health via the E121 form from the UK or you are working here and pay Spanish NI then member of you family will be covered.

As an example I am not yet 65 so I pay a monthly contribution which covers myself and my wife, she is classed as my dependant in this case.
Thanks A1gjv, that's really useful to know.

Are you saying that you're a toyboy Cyberhiker

Hi Jackie, I suppose if someone my age can ever be considered a 'toyboy', then I am one. :lol:
I am a UK citizen who has resided in Canada for many years. I am thinking of retiring to Spain in a couple of years.

I have not paid into the UK medical system for many years and will be covered in Canada provided I spend at least 6 months of the year here. I will be 65 when I retire.

My question is, will I be covered in Spain if I decide to reside there permanently being over 65, or will I have to get private insurance since I have not paid any previous UK contributions? Can anybody clarify what my situation would be?
Thanks very much indeed a1jgv for that advice. My husband is 66 which will therefore mean I get cover as his dependent. I will phone the DP&W as recommended.
Can you advise how the system works in Spain, I mean in regards to being under a GP, getting prescriptions etc ? My husband has to take certain tablets each day (although I hope the move may reduce the need for the blood-pressure control ones !)
Thanks again,
Sue
Sue, once you have moved over here you will need to go the the servicios sociales de su provincia donde uno esta enpadronado in the arear where you live and where you have registered your Padro i.e. registered with the local town hall for you area.

You will need to take the E121 form with you to the servicios sociales de su provincia donde uno esta enpadronado, that is what it is called in Catalunya but in principle it is the Spanish equivalet of our old UK DHSS/Social Services, and the will issue you with a plastic type medical card like a credit card at least that's what they do here in Catalunya, and here it is called catsalut(generalitat de catalunya) but they should know what you are talking about.

With regard to a doctor, you will need to register with your local one in the area where you are going to live.

Perscriptions are no problem at all you get them from you doctor of course take them to the local chemist and they will issue you with the medicine FREE of charge.

I would suggest that you take a good stock of the tablets with you from the UK because I am not sure how long the mediacl card will take to come through, also register with a doctor ASAP explain the situation to them regarding you husband and they may well give you a letter or some official note whereby you can get your husbands drugs without having to pay until you cards come through.

The above is just a rough guide because each province has different rule and regulation totally different to the Uk where the old DHSS/Social Services covered the whole of the UK.

If you have any more question please ask and I will do my best to provide the info or if anybody else reads this post and can offer ony more advise/info please feel free to chip in.

I hope you both have a long and happy life here in Spain.
Thank you again, I'm very grateful for the advice.
I am a UK citizen who has resided in Canada for many years. I am thinking of retiring to Spain in a couple of years.

I have not paid into the UK medical system for many years and will be covered in Canada provided I spend at least 6 months of the year here. I will be 65 when I retire.

My question is, will I be covered in Spain if I decide to reside there permanently being over 65, or will I have to get private insurance since I have not paid any previous UK contributions? Can anybody clarify what my situation would be?

I would suggest you contact the Department of Pension & Works in the UK to see if you are entitled to an E121 form if not then I think you will have to arrange provate medical cover.
sue.c Just to add a little more info for you.

When you go to the Social Services with your E121 they should issue you with a temporary paper registration card so you can get perscripitions etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.