Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks Qatarman

Yes, both legs will be with Qatar. The dates aren't finalised yet but are expected to be in May, leaving Manchester on a Thursday and returning on a Monday from Dubai (23.50).

Many thanks for any info.
Hi arriving on a Friday morning 2hrs should be enough time,I arrived back here from London 2 weeks ago on a Monday evening at 8pm and the transfers was heaving,I would come from Dubai on the slightly earlier flight.I will check for you tomorrow as I am going to Dubai returning at 8pm.Will post on my return.
We flew with Qatar in December from Manchester to Johannesburg via Doha. Our flights out were great - but Doha airport is dreadful and so hot. They slipped up with the connecting flight to Jo'burg though and didn't tell anyone there was a gate change - subsequently we were late taking off (nearly an hour).

The flights back were appalling :evil: Our flight from Jo'burg to Doha was delayed (originally) by 3 hours which meant we only had half-an-hour to get our connecting flight back to Manchester. We didn't actually board the plane until 5.30pm (4 1/2 hours late) and then we had no air conditioning, it was an old plane, so no personal TV screen as per previous flights. To make it better, we had to abort our take-off and the plane was taken to a "secluded" part of the airport to be fixed. It was absolutely boiling on the plane and the cabin crew ended up having to open the back doors to get some air in!!!

When we did actually take-off we had by then been 6 1/2 hours delayed. We were given no assurance of what would happen to us when we arrived in Doha - the majority of the passengers were getting connecting flights to Manchester and London.

Qatar did actually delay the connecting flights - I guess because there would have been too many people to offer accommodation to. We arrived in Manchester about 2 hours late, so not too bad.

I would have had no problem flying with Qatar after the great flights out, but the return was just so bad that I wouldn't use them again.
Hi about par for Qatar Airways at present(2hrs late) main problem is Doha Int Airport too small. As you will see from my posts I live and work in Qatar and when the alterations are complete around mid August things will improve.First and Buisness wil have a dedicated terminal,main terminal more departure gates,Aprons have been improved so more planes can park. Gillbabe, Qatar dont really have any Old planes and from Joburg it is non stop This must have been an A300-600 which doesnt have seat back IFE, I belive you got that because the A330 went Tech on the outbound leg from Doha.
Qatarman

I've booked the 23.50 from Dubai arriving into Doha at 23.50 and returning to Manchester at 01.50. Hope the 2 hour return transit time is enough! :shock: What do you think? Thanks for your advise. The day will be a Tuesday/Wednesday.
Hi is your incoming flight with Qatar Airways?? if it is get your Boarding card in Dubai this will save you time,but 2hrs should be enough,you could book the AL Maha service which is meet and greet which will get you through transit quicker and you can use the Oryx lounge to wait in. Contact info

http://www.dohaairport.com/?almaha_services
That sounds very good. How much would that be (in pounds) for a transfer? It doesnt seem clear on the info.
Hi Prada,
At todays rate it would cost you 125QR,(19pounds ) this for 2no pax. Or 80QR 1st person 45QR for each additional person. Todays rate of exchange is 6.65QR= 1pound sterling.Hope this helps.
Thanks qatarman

I will give it some thought as it might be easier for us because of the kids. Would you personally recommend it?
Thanks qatarman

I will give it some thought as it might be easier for us because of the kids. Would you personally recommend it?
You should get more comfortable seating in the lounge as the time you will arrive is one of the busiest times for the airport,I am lucky as I travel Buisness class.
Hi Qatarman

Due to travel to BKK via DOH, arriving in DOH at 06:20 on 1/7/06 before onward journey to BKK at 08:50. The return flights are DOH at 23:55 and leave of LHR at 02:30.
Are these busy times in Doha Airport?
I like the sound of the meet and greet. We have had some problems in the past with getting the kids (14 & 11) into airport lounges do you know if they will be allowed in Doha's?

Jack
Thanks so much Qatarman.
Hi Jack will check for you this morning and post back.I use Qatar Airways Buisness class lounge in Doha and young children are allowed in. Your incoming flights are okay but departure time is normally very busy.
Hi,
I have checked this morning and the use of the Oryx Lounge is an extra 90QR per PAX (approx 14pounds at todays exchange rate) children are allowed.
Sorry if it has confused anyone.
Thanks Qatarman.

Jack :)
Hi

Can anyone help,

we are going to Bangkok in March 08 via Doha with qatar. Never flown with qatar before & to be honest the furthest I've been is Goa.

Do we stop at Doha for refuelling because it looks like we get back on the same plane QR610. However, coming back Bangkok to Doha QR611 then Doha to Manchester QR12.

How long is the flight to Doha then Doha Bangkok?

Daft question, but is there usualy a lot of turbulance (scares me). I know it depends on conditions but when we go to Goa it seems to be in same area.

Thanks
AJ
ameliajane,

Are you travelling from Manchester outbound? All Qatar flights from MAN stop in Doha, that's their main hub. You'll probably change to a different aircraft for your onward leg to Bangkok, but don't quote me on that. MAN - Doha is approx 7 hours aboard one of their excellent Airbus A330-302's. Doha - MAN approx 7hrs 55 mins.

Doha - Bangkok is approx. 6hrs 20mins, again aboard an Airbus A330-302. Bangkok - Doha is approx. 7hrs.

Turbulance very much depends on the atmospheric conditions on the day. Flights are generally smooth and the flight crew will do all they can to minimise turbulance and make the flight as enjoyable and smooth as possible.

Have a safe journey,

Darren
Hi Darren

Yes, we are flying from Manchester. Thankyou for your reassurance re turbulance.

AJ
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.