Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
With all due respect Jimbox....You are not on holiday in Cyprus, you live there!

Big, Big difference between going on holiday and living somewhere, people are not talking about emigrating to Cyprus, they are talking about their holidays....different subject completely.

We all know little boltholes in the UK where you can get cheap drinks and meals compared to other parts of the country, and as for not having to look over your shoulder....don't know where you lived previously in the UK, but we don't all live in inner cities, many of us live in very peaceful surroundings in rural areas.

As this is a site called Holiday-Truths and not Emigration-Truths your comments are sometimes quite off the subject.
Please keep things friendly - all members are entitled to their own opinions.

Jimbox is trying to answer things as he sees it. I realise that he might have a different perception than us holidaymakers do, but please remember that he is only trying to help.

not the little out of the way bars and restaurants that E-Pats congregate in.

One of the bars that the expats (and holidaymakers) congregate in is slight bang in the middle of the tourist centre of Paphos. Zorros - Bar Street.

If you want cheap, you will find it. It just depends on what 'one' wants to do on holiday.

Kath HT Admin
If the tourist stop coming the Cypriots will be forced to drop their prices to encourage them back,
I seem to remember the same thing happening with the resorts of Spain when they first joined the EU maybe things will settle down again, I know people keep saying its quieter but this year the last 2 weeks in July seemed to be heaving around Ayia Napa/ Protaras area whenever I went down,
The prices seemed reasonable to me along Nissi Avenue the signs were out for a £1 a pint and we like to go down around the harbour to eat and for a drink I thought the prices were not to bad. maybe I am just getting used to paying these prices now, some places do rip you off but we dont go back to these places we find ones we like and are happy with and stay away from the others,
Hi Everyone,

Ive been to Cyprus many times and love it, ive been to spain and Kafelonia this year and they were both cheaper than Cyprus. Some members seem to constantly moan that cyprus is expensive, personally when i go away, i spend what i spend simple as that. The easy solution if people are not happy with the prices then dont go, travel somewhere else, you have a choice. I am going to Cyprus next year, and appreciate that people can work to a budget, but personally i dont like to worry about what how much i spend.
It`s value for money, thats predominantly what people are after, and who can blame them. Most people leave the UK in search of nice weather, and if that comes at a price then people will always look elsewhere.

I personally found Cyprus very expensive, with other countries offering the same at a much cheaper rate. I hope no-one takes offence at myself stating that Cyprus is way over priced.
Hi Pinkie,

No one will mind your views, we are all entitled to our opinion, were do you like to go on holiday?
Hi iallen, i have to be very careful on this forum, they deleted all my posts last night, when i honestly didn`t mean to cause offence.

I love the sun, so all my holidays revolve around that lovely object in the sky, i`m always in India in March, and the Far East dec/jan, May and Sept varies, i was in Libya last May, very nice country, nice weather, no Brits in sight.

My lovely girlfriend chose Cyprus for Sept, a lovely country with lovely people, but so over priced, when other countries are far cheaper offering the same, and without the huge ammount of Brits.

Can i make this perfectly clear, i don`t object paying for things if i feel it`s merited, and i felt Cyprus wasn`t.
Well yes there are always cheaper destinations and for sure I have been to a few, but Cyprus has that undeniable quality that I have rarely found in any other country to the point I chose to live here, before that and after I have traveled to many parts of Spain and Greece, in fact as posted a favourite of mine was the small island of Levkas in Greece, although for sure it is a good holiday destination, it was certainly not that cheap, Cyprus can be very reasonable if like anywhere else including the Canaries and other small Greek Islands you know where to eat and drink,

I don't slag any destinations off that I have visited, but choosing where to hang my hat up was a massive decision and Cyprus has never disappointed me in twenty years of first visiting the island and then to make it my home..

I love the place and I hope it shows!

This forum is about Cyprus and that is really is what it is about, helping those who have chosed the island to enjoy there holidays here, if you hate the place as some members clearly posted then maybe they should find a Holiday Truths section on there chosen holiday destination..and good luck to them!
Hello Jim, i really think your getting a bit confused, no one has said they hate Cyprus, people including me are simply stating that it`s far too expensive, thats all.

And well done for leaving the UK, i certainly hope you have a very nice time. It was your choice to live in Cyprus as it`s peoples choice to holiday there, and potential visitors should be made aware of the prices, surely you can`t object to that?
We have just come back from a fortnight in Paphos and I have to say we

didn't find it that expensive. We found pints for £1cy and the dearest we paid

was £1.90cy..............both prices on the front in Paphos. We also had good

food at very reasonable prices.........the cheapest being £20cy for four of us

including drinks and a very delicious seafood salad :D

I'll be going back next year again :wink:

Helenxx
Thats very encouraging bluebabe, so there`s hope after all, £20cy for the four of you?? are you sure the others had food, i find that incredible with drinks.

We paid £25cy for the two of us.
The post is about it being quieter in Napa this year and as a visitor for the past 15yrs it was very very quiet this year when we were there.3rd to 17th Sept. I live and work in Qatar,a work mate lives in Cyprus and has also commented on the number of bars that have closed up this year.It still hasnt stopped us from booking for next Sept.
Pinkie I am not confused at all, I was replying to Londonexiles.

I am sure of my facts, if anyone chooses to think differently I am more than happy about it, you could fly out to Goa and for sure once you get there it will be a bargain, but we are talking about Cyprus as the forum says, I have made my point and you have made yours, choice will always be with the individual as it should be.

The tourist trade has been falling for many years here, we site the high cost of air travel here, it is restricted by the Cypriot government and it has to be said it is costing the Cyprus Tourist trade a lot of money, one day they will have to open for all airlines here and more competitive air fares, although it will never be as cheap in this respects because of the distance to Cy, Spain is a thousand miles less, it would be about economics of course.
I agree with agree with Jim,saw that Easy Jet were looking to fly to Cyprus,that really will open up the market.
Who ever mentioned hating Cyprus?

People quite rightly come onto this forum and query Cypriot prices as regards to holidaying in one of the resorts, they do so sometimes before making the decision where to take their annual holidays.

And those that have holidayed in Cyprus are generous enough with their time to answer such queries, they do so out of experience in holidaying in Cyprus themselves, my own personal reply was based on my own previous experience of Cypriot holidays....not once did I mention 'Hating' Cyprus, what I simply stated is Cyprus was not any cheaper than Spanish resorts...sometimes even more expensive regarding certain items.
I have no doubt that Cypriot entry into the EU may be a factor in price rises of late, the same did as stated by another poster happen in Spain before it levelled out again.
And yes, air fairs into Cyprus are also a major factor, and this will have to be addressed by the Cypriot government if they are to compete with countries like Turkey.

I then went on to point out that your references to Cyprus being cheaper than the UK were irrelevant, after all this is a holiday discussion site and not a site regarding relocating outside of the UK.

If we were to have an in depth discussion about the UK vs. Cyprus regarding living expenses, it would have to include other factors like UK average national income....which according to EU figures is almost three and a half times that of Cyprus. Pensions and Social Security payments in the UK are also far higher, which more than makes up for price differentials between the two places.

So Jim....No-one is hating Cyprus here, we are simply trying to make the point that living in Cyprus and holidaying there are two completely different things.

Finally an example to make my point......

If you go to any tourist area of the UK...Central London, Lake District, Devon and Cornish holiday resorts etc. Prices are far higher in restaurants and bars than in the places that the locals frequent....
Two pubs in the village in Devon where I personally live, one is frequented by holidaymakers and is expensive, one is a pub frequented by locals and farmers....and is not expensive.

EXACTLY the same as in Cyprus
You hate Cyprus, I read you recent postings on how great the Canaries where compared to Cyprus, the same on some obscure Greek Island, I was a tourist here for fifteen years, I am well aware how to behave when being here on holiday, I will say this again maybe you will never return here and you will start a thread on another venue you chose on a different web site, this one is about Cyprus and not Spain or Greece, I am a resident so what!!! and yes I have insider knowledge and this is what I try to pass on, I have been to Spain and Greece but like the rest of the members here we prefer Cyprus...if not why do you bitch about the place on all your postings?

You have the choice to go elsewhere in the world may I respectfully suggest that you do!

regards and good bye..

Jim
It will be interesting to see how prices compare when Cyprus adopts the Euro, I am dreading it as I like our British Pound and i like the CY pound.

if it turns out that everything is much dearer then tourist will stop coming.

I suggested to a Cypriot friend who ran a bar , and was complaining about the lack of customers despite forking out for entertainment and so on, that he drops his prices slightly to encourage business, he said if he did that he would not make any money , I said if you do that people will come and drink more, he said no they wont they are all inclusive so I need to charge more to make more money to last me for the rest of the year whne we have no tourists, :? Sadly the bar closed down last year. :(
You really do have some strange ways Jim, I am not the only person who has commented on Cyprus being more expensive this last couple of years, and I am sure if you check my previous three posts you will find no reference to me saying that the Canaries being better than Cyprus....just cheaper!

I stand by my comments, it's always different living anywhere in the world than it is being on holiday there...same here in one of the tourist hotspots in the UK, South Devon....expensive if you are a stranger to the area...not so if you live here with local knowledge.

So not a Cyprus hater....just a realist
I am a Cyprus lover, ive been 7 times. Ive just come back from Kafelonia which was beautiful. Having been to most of the canary islands i think it is worth the extra to go to cyprus not to have the lucky lucky men try and sell something, they irritate me to the point of i could kill them, also the atlantic is cold i never get used to it. I have travelled extensively, and some places do fleece the tourists, but i suppose when you shop were they do its cheaper. I have also been to spain this year 12 euros for 2 sunbeds and a brolly, last time i was on fig tree bay it was 6 cypriot pounds. I think we are all entitled to our opinions, i am not posh in any way but in all the times i have visited cyprus it seems a little bit more up market than the tourist areas of spain.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.