Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi Luci, i`m baffled that you think this very interesting debate is in any way offensive, and are threatening to pull a very interesting discussion, because you think people aren`t being civil.

Reading the whole post, everybody seems perfectly civil, people are expressing different opinions, which is what debating is about. Why are you so strict on what people can & can`t say?
I would wonder how many times some of the people who are critical of Cyprus have actually visited the island. I too have been going for over 20 years now and yes I have seen change but (as I said in the post that got 'chopped' last night) you get what you pay for. That is why so many people return regardless of cost, the warmth and hospitality of the Cypriot people is second to none - to me it's priceless and I hope one day to emulate Jimbox by calling Cyprus home. I have sampled the delights of countless countries worldwide but nothing comes close to Cyprus. It would be a strange world indeed if we all liked the same places - maybe just as well we don't !!
Pinkie

As experienced moderators we are well aware of how easily "debate" can turn into argument and mud slinging between members. That's why we try to nip it in the bud early before it gets to that stage.

In addition to Item 3 of our T&C's can also remind you of Item 4 which you agreed to abide by when you joined the site. :wink:

luci :wave
Fair enough you`re the boss, i still find it interesting that it`s not just me who finds Cyprus expensive. And i personally believe it`s a huge folly about the cost of air fare to Cyprus concerning the prices.

If budget airlines decided to fly there, i`m pretty sure that it would have the opposite affect and push prices up even further. Cyprus is not this idyllic Mediterranean jewel that people think it is. It`s a lovely island with lovely people, just as there`s hundreds others in the Med, offering the same but much cheaper.
Pinkie
I agree there are hundreds of places all over the world and the Med that maybe do offer more value for your pound than Cyprus with its poor exchange rate,

Having at one time only lived to seek adventure and exciting places to visit my values have now changed, my days of seeking out the cheapest and exciting places have gone, I much prefer to return to the same place, know where i am going , know what to expect, meet up with friends we have made over the years, both Cypriot and British, but most of all you cant beat stepping of that plane and feeling like you have come home.

We felt like this I think its callled familiarity , even before we bought our holiday home that is the reason we decided to pick Cyprus the feeling of coming home cant be bought for all the money in the world.

Maybe people return year after year because of this , for us this is irreplaceable no matter what the cost :) we dont have money to burn but are willing to pay that bit extra to be there , we do think Cyprus has a lot to offer. and also think it is still value for money even in the resorts if you just put a bit extra effort into finding the right places. Personally Larnaca is not a place I would pick to spend a holiday in far to spread out and not so nice beaches, as futher along the coast.
What a nice post elizabeth, and i completely respect your point of view, which you`ve explained very well. Perhaps i should have researched Cyprus slightly more better than i did, concerning prices and the ammount of Brits, then i wouldn`t have been so shocked on our arrival.

I can imagine once you`ve made friends there, then you`ll look forward to travelling back year after year regardless of the cost, but i`m still travelling and always seeking out new destinations, which offer value for money with the right climate, Cyprus for me falls into the latter.

As before i should have done more research, so i`ll take some of the blame.
Although we will not be returning to Cyprus in 2007, choosing instead to allow Cyprus to settle into the EU and hopefully become a little more value for money, we HAVE NOT (contrary to others speculation) become Cyprus haters and will look again at the island in 2008 and future years.

We don't like or search out 'Cheapo' holidays, if we did we would choose somewhere like Bulgaria or Croatia, where we enjoyed cheap prices counteracted by what were almost 'Holidays from Hell'.

So we will keep an open mind regarding Cyprus, we have friends who have a holiday home in Paralimni, and are indeed out there as we speak. They themselves commented that exchange rates may have had an adverse affect on the number of holidaymakers in Cyprus this year, and hopefully the chance of Easy Jet starting flights onto the island may well see the beginning of cheaper air travel from the UK.

I do think that all holiday destinations can all too easily become a victim of their own success, all the places that were once cheap in the 80's and 90's have become more expensive.....often above and beyond inflation...a big factor is the increasing trend towards foreign holiday home ownership which undoubtably pushes up local prices in services and goods.

In previous years we have balanced value for money with location and local attractions when we have planned holidays, we shall carry on doing so to choose destinations. We are off to the Costas in January for 21 days as the offer of a half board stay in a hotel we know to be good from experience too good to turn down, and it will be Ibiza again for us in September for a couple of weeks...maybe longer...as we had a memorable stay on the island a few weeks ago (apart from having a bag stolen, but that's what insurance is for!)

Incidentally, we won't go into the very rude private message we got from the person who sees us as 'Cyprus Haters'....and shall instead continue to exchange holiday information with others on this very well run discussion forum.
I only came back on Sunday and I'm missing it already.. the saving is starting ready for next year (fingers crossed)
Incidentally, we won't go into the very rude private message we got from the person who sees us as 'Cyprus Haters'....and shall instead continue to exchange holiday information with others on this very well run discussion forum.

If anyone is receiving rude or abusive pm's then please send a copy to Admin and we will remove PM facility from the offender.
Having only just returned from Cyprus on Sunday ,I must say that we go back year on year because of the feeling of home the moment we leave the plane(although I woudn`t want to live at Larnaca airport!!).

We go on other overseas holidays and never feel this anywhere else. Could be a number of things such as the reception we get on arrival at the resort from old (and young) friends. driving on left. Pound notes etc.
We also go for the weather of course.

I can understand the place being quieter because of the many cheaper alternatives but to us with its faults its still our favourite.

Pete
Cyprus feels like home, I think because so many things are the same or similar so you're not like a duck out of water. Driving on the roads is almost identical (road signs the same and in English), shops work the same (not odd batering etc), banks and such all have the same ways and ATMs have English, Most Cypriots can speak at least some English etc etc etc..

Thinks thats part of the reason we feel so at home there...
Rude, if that is all you ever get in the mail ''exile you are easily offended, I did not wish to inflame this thread by replying to your negatives on Cyprus as I also thought the admin would pull the plug on what is an interesting thread, please post my PM to Kath and let her decide, I will of course abide by any decision that she makes..

regards.

and my final post on this..you may say good :lol:
Hi Valiantman,
How did the second visit to the Tasia go,bet you won ALL the quizes???
Always wondered (as I'm no economic expert) why the Cypriot pound has always had such a high exchange value? Remember back in '92 it went down (or up if you want to look at it that way!) to about 65c to a pound and made it v. exspensive. Heard it was linked to the $ but the pound has been riding high against the $ for ages but the GB£ does not seem to have gone up against the CY £.
wonder how its going to fair/fare? when it goes (if it goes) to the Euro
Blimey - this has got a bit heavy hasn't it?!! OK, well I'm sitting in a pub in Pernera right now, drinking imported cider at a price similar to that charged in England. Yes I know the exchange rate ups it a bit, but last night I was drinking local beer at 1.50. Equally, a couple of nights ago we had a meze with 2 carafes of wine for 20.00 (sorry - no pound sign on the keyboard). This does come out at 25.00 English pounds but anyone whose had a meze knows how much food comes out! Local carafes of wine are also (in my opinion) superior to many UK house wines.

Not many UK restaurants could do that at that price, particularly overlooking an incredible little bay, lit by a full moon, while the med slowly laps against a deserted beach (close your eyes and picture it!)

We are also smoking cigarettes at 2.00 a pack (not everyone's cup of tea, but still relevant).

Main meals are available at 4.00 or less (moussaka etc).

The most expensive prices we've found were in a "commercial village" (Omodhos) which unfortunately has adopted a more Turkish approach of encouraging customers (i.e. - drag the wife inside).

I've also noted that exchange rates are improving. Last year was 79 - 81 and we're now seeing 84 - possibly 85, so if that keeps up things will also be cheaper.

I do actually agree on Jim on this (although our views on smoking wouldn't concur), but can also sympathise with the opposite view - as the exchange rate does indeed affect spending power.

As Elizabeth has suggested it is a small price to pay for what I feel is the most hospitable and friendly island I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.

But I also accept Cyprus isn't for everyone - but us Cyprophiles can get very defensive about 'our' island. Folks - some people don't fall for it like we do - that's not a problem - if everyone loved it like us it would be very very overcrowded!!

I also feel my hairs on my back raise initially when someone criticises it, but come on - each to their own, and its still a free world (I think!!!). If Cyprus isn't for them, fine, let them enjoy their holidays elsewhere - its not a problem.

ps - 1600 fags for 140.00. Now that's gotta be a bargain!

Tonight I'll be in a bar watching England play Croatia with my England shirt on, then quickly swap it for my Cyprus shirt when the Wales v Cyprus game starts

Yammas!!

Richie
Well just got back again and now on count down to the next one.
once again fab time. cant wait for the next one and after participting in this thread tended to look at the prices more. this time and must say i noticed some pros and cons. I still seen lots of places advertising a £1 a pint.

Must say we tried a fabulous place in Sotira which is just on the other side of the motorway from Ayia Napa,

Ploumin Taverna typical Cypriot taverna with Courtyard, live music ,
Ploumin salad for which is the best we have ever tasted in all of the places we have eaten, meal for 4 people wine, beer , water £30 and a fabulous atmosphere the food was excellent.

I know its away from the tourist area but its only across the motorway
http://www.ploumin.com.cy best to reserve a table if you want to be inside for the music
elizabethmcphee wrote:
Well just got back again and now on count down to the next one.
We'd been back barely 2 weeks before next years flight was booked.

From what friends and colleagues who holiday elsewhere tell me Cyprus could be classed as expensive, especially if you stick to the tourist traps.
We don't, and I rarely - if ever - pay more than CY£1.50 for a large (630ml) bottle of Leon or Keo, or Brandy Sour. We eat out for about CY£15 to CY£17 including drinks for the both of us, starters, main course and 2 drinks each. We feel as though we've really pushed the boat out if we pay more than that. We also recently had a meze for CY£20 including drinks. We are both big eaters and could not finish what was served! (Marcos, Larnaca.)

It's a small price to pay for (what we always have) an excellent holiday.
Elizabeth mentioned familiarity. The saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt". If I ever become contemptuous or bored of Cyprus I'll stop going. I can't see that happening.

With regards to prices, if need be, I'll eat in every night to save a little of my holiday brass.
Or, pop round to Jim's! :wink:

Mark
Mark
we go again Dec 27th booked in February :lol:
We have next summers booked already , we were lucky with the ticketless flights £250 for 2 tickets in June, :D
Remind me to tell you where you can get your Large Leon, Carlsberg, or Keo for a £1 !!! a bottle. the next time you are going over to this area. :wink:

We found a good place in Dherynia for food, but then I ordered a cappachino (sp) :lol: and it was £1.80 also a very small bottle of wine 17cl was £2.25 ... the food was excellent but when it came time to pay the bill it was £17.20 , they never brought the change back,
This we were not impressed with as they would have got a tip anyway.

This is the kind of thing that can put visitors off but it can happen anywhere,

We wont go back for that reason.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.