Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Yes I really liked the lunchtime waiter service. The food came almost immediately, just time to go and get your salad and bread. Burgers come with chips, so children should be happy. They do a very nice cherry cheesecake for pudding.

My husband did the excursion to Perge, Aspendos and Kursunlu waterfall, but unfortunately our autistic son hates tour guides (!) and ruins, so he and I didn't go. It was payback time for all the ancient Egyptian stuff we dragged him round in February! However we all went in to Antalya on the hotel bus one day, in at 10, back at 4 and they also do one in at 3.30, back at 8, I think it was. Takes about half an hour. Costs 5 euros each return, book the day before. It dropped us by Hadrian's Gate into the old town (Kaleici). We wandered down to the harbour through the very picturesque streets. At the harbour, we got a 2 hour boat trip along to the Duden waterfall which drops into the sea. There was a stop for swimming, but we didn't have our swimming things, so take yours if you fancy this trip! Cost 20 euros each. But we paid in lira and it worked out a bit cheaper. 40 lira. (Likewise the hotel bus) Then had a late lunch at a harbourside restaurant, quite cheap and then back up to the modern town and a look round the shops.

They do a family river white water rafting trip, for the over 5s, if yours are adventurous, they might like that!

The shopping mall directly opposite the hotel is expensive designer shops. Ordinary shops are down the road to the left, including a pharmacy. I noticed you could book trips in one of those shops, which would probably be cheaper than the rep.
I think I will have to do a copy and paste job off here for my review!
Lol yes, let me know when you have done your review and I'll pop over to see it, not that you'll have much else to report on.

The boat trip sounds good, ditto the river rafting - do they do any boat trips from the waterfront at the hotel or do you have to go into Antalya?

Is it best to take both lira and euros do you think?
I have done it, but it is just a copy of what I've said here. Seemed sensible, as that's what people want to know!

The water sports people also offer a boat trip to the waterfall, presumably approaching it from the other direction, along Lara Beach. I think the price was the same. They come round the pool selling their activities and trips.

Don't bother taking euros. Things are priced in euros everywhere,including the hotel, but if you say you want to pay in lira, they are happy to take them, and as I said it works out cheaper in lira, now that the euro is pretty much one equals one. So just take lira.
thnaks again Mehmeh1.

I've thought of another question. Are there any swim up pool bars here?
That was my husband's first question when we walked out to the pool on the first morning! Sorry, but no!
Oh that's a bit disappointing, there was one at Aqua Fantasy and I loved sitting in the pool sipping my drink.

I'm surprised that there aren't any padded mattresses on the sunbeds asit's a 5 star property too.

Just to clarifly, you can visit each of the restaurants, once, and then you pay £15 euros each, is that right?
Yes, that is the way I understood it to be, anyway, for the a la cartes.

And yes, I missed the mattress pads and the swim-up bar. People think you are whinging, but once you have had these things, you do miss them. And you would really think they could afford the pads easily enough!
We had two weeks at the RW last August and had a terrific time. In fact we had planned to return this August, but were dismayed to find that prices this year (like the rest of the Med/Canaries) seem to have rocketed, so we're doing long haul which was better value.

The family room we had was excellent, located on the top floor with a sea view and set over two levels with a loft area for adults.

The pool is absolutely huge and was a wonderful temperature, even my wife came in !! The sea was also very warm and there is a nice pier with large squishy cushions to relax on.

We tried all the restaurants and enjoyed them. Just to clarify, you are allowed one visit to each a la carte per week, so we went 8 times over our 2 week stay. The deep fried ice cream in the Chinese is fab and not to be missed. Fish restaurant was great, with sea bass and sea bream. Italian also good and Turkish had some good local items which I enjoyed (though the wife/kids didn't !!). The main restaurant is fine with a good choice, but it annoyed me that you weren't shown to a table which could make it a bit of a bunfight at busy times. Very noisy in there too.

As mehmeh1 mentions, there is a lunchtime restaurant near the sea which we used every day and found to be really good with lovely staff. Do wish some of the men could put a t-shirt on though"¦

Bars were good, particularly the one between the pool and sea which was lovely for a drink in the evening. Beer good as mentioned, wine also. Spirits of indeterminable origin, but OK.

Evening entertainment we thought was awful and generally avoided.

I'm guessing your children are pre-school as you're off this month, in which case they'll love the mini funfair, with ferris wheel, roundabout mini train and trampolines. Our two were 8 &10 and loved the slides, wave pool (quite powerful) and lazy river with kayaks.

We had a nose round the Delphin Palace, but preferred the layout of the (far cheaper) RW.

No problems with tummy upsets (as one reviewer mentioned at the same time we were there) though they do cook everything in palm oil which takes a little getting used to, especially on the omelettes I found. Saw a few people with ear plugs, presumably infections picked up from the pool ? I guess some are more susceptible than others though.

If I had to moan it would be"¦

1. The surrounding area looks like downtown Beirut and has no charm or character whatsoever.
2. The beach could have been cleaner.
3. Noisy buffet restaurant as mentioned, though the outside areas were nice
4. Lots of Russians/Eastern Block and they're not the most polite of people"¦

But all in all a super time and we'd definitely go back.
Thank you mehmeh1 sounds good that they have bottled efes as well as draught - it sounds silly but I like a wee glass of draught during the day but in the evenings I prefer to stick to bottled beer :cheers

Crockett - thanks for your feedback as well :tup

I am at the stage now where we are counting down the days and I just can't wait :sun2

Crockett - you said the prices for this year have rocketed - we booked back in Aug 08 and for 2 adults and 1 child (9yrs) for 2 weeks in July we paid £2,200 with TC - have we got a good deal by booking early or would you say this is more expensive than previous years?? I think we got a good deal as we paid the same for Oludeniz Resort Hotel the year before!!
Zoso

I would say you've done very well with that price, particularly if that's in school holidays, and I wish we'd re-booked back then when the Euro was stronger and rates were lower.

To give an idea, we DIY'd in 2008 and the family room cost for us (2A & 2C) for the last two weeks of August was £2400 (+flights).

This year, same room-same time, it's £3600, so half as much again.

So no Turkey for us this year"¦
I'm even more delighted now as last year was the first time we have ever booked so far in advance - we normally book around Dec/Jan so 6/7 months before we go. When we arrived back last year I started to compare some prices and we were getting a free child place for the RW and the price seemed really good as the reviews for the hotel were also very good :tup

Yeah we are going during the school holidays - up here in Scotland the schools finish at the end of June until mid Aug.

Hope you get something sorted for next year ;) - I think the prices for 2010 are out the start of Aug - I will be checking them out possibly even before we go this year!! that will be a first!!

Z
Yes mehmeh1, it's the silly little things you miss, but as you say they are only minor gripes, and when you've been to Lykia it kind of spoils you.

Thanks Crocket for your feedback :) My children are school age - 12, 9, 7, 7 and I do take them out of school otherwise we just couldn't afford a holiday abroad, luckily the schools are OK with this at present.

I usually book 12 months ahead to secure 2 free kids places (again not available during school hols) We book 2 adjacent rooms and hubby and I have 2 kids each, no problem really, and at least we get 2 bathrooms!! We end up paying for 4 adults. This year I couldn't find a decent deal and didn't book until January when Direct Holidays brought in free kids for the RW which enabled us to afford it - TC couldn't offer the free kids (despite being the same company) and said they were a special offer exclusive to DH. We ended up paying £3978-00.

Crocket - did you use the kids clubs, and if so what sort of activities did they offer?

Thanks.
Didn't use the kids clubs I'm afraid, as our two seemed quite happy bouncing between the mega pool and the waterpark. What with that and seemingly endless food, drink and ice cream available, they really never got bored. In fact it's been difficult finding hotels since, that have as much going on.

Don't blame you going during school time, the way prices rocket in the holidays is criminal. It's the worst of both worlds, you pay top dollar and the places are super busy.
Well I've just one case left to pack, a mamoth job for all of us I can tell you. I bought some new inflatables from TK Max as they are usually really expensive over there, then found a bag full from previous years!

Anyone going after us, if you have any questions let me know and I'll endevour to find out whilst I'm there.

Thanks you mehmeh1 and Crokett for all your help.

Just 3 sleeps to go......
Have a wonderful time - I'm sure you will! Pretty hot there now I think!
Hi Pamplemousse!
Have a fantastic time! I can't wait to hear all about it as we've got children the same age! Enjoy the sunshine and the rest, you sound just as excited as me when we go away! Safe trip, xx.
Can anyone just tell me if it's OK to have ice in your drinks here Please? Don't laugh, I seem to have developed an addiction to it!!! :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.