General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
School Holidays
16 Posts
Llindy

I live in the South East and we heard this about two years ago. So far there have been no changes. Haven't heard anything recently

Regards Jackie
Hi,

I live in the north east and our holidays havn`t changed for next year. Have you looked on your council website for the holiday dates, ours are on there up to July 2008.
According to ours easter 2008 ( Good Friday / Easter Monday is not going to be in the 2weeks hols of school. Good Friday is 21st March 2008 and Easter Monday 24th March 2008, the 2 weeks for school holidays is , break up Friday 4th April and back to school on Monday 21st April 2008. Do you think the holiday companys will realise this?

Theresa
Good Friday is 6th April 2007

fwh
i live in the notts/yorkshire borders and this idea of a 5 term year was mentioned when Gav was just starting at comp..but it never got offthe ground..
FWH

Theresa was referring to Good Friday 2008 not 2007
Don't you know women have to plan things well in advance :lol:

So basically Theresa in 2008 the kids will be getting 2 extra days off school if Good Friday and Easter Monday are not incorporated in the normal Easter Break.

Regards Jackie
hello,
i live in lancs, work in a school and this is the first i have heard of this.
i hope not, i want my extra week holis next year, (im being naughty and having a extra 2 weeks off that are not holidays) so i get 3 weeks in all.
The Seeds

Are you being told off for taking holiday in term time? I bet as you work in a school you are. My sister in law works in a school and is terrified if she has to ask for a day off that is not scheduled.

Regards Jackie
hi jackie,
no i didn't get told off, i told them it was my wedding aniverse and my son turns 11 while we are out there. (i did feel very naughty for all of 5mins) :lol:

i asked as he could only say no, but the price was soooo good.
According to the Kirklees website schools break up on 20th March 2008.

I would suggest that Theresa contacts the local council and asks the question. It is possible that there is an error.

fwh
Birmingham announced 2 years back that they were going over to the 6 term year with 4 weeks in the Summer. However the teaching unions told them what they could do with the idea and it was dropped.

If they go for a 4 week Summer break then even more families will have to take their kids out of school for holidays and those 4 weeks will be even more expensive than they are now!
Hi I work as a learning support assistant in Carmarthenshire and there are no plans to change the structure of next year's holidays in our area.
I live in the Derwntside area of Durham and this scheme was supposed to be introduced three years ago but as of yet, nothing.Think it was gonna cost to much in admin etc, although the feedback was good from parents. Typical, a great idea knocked on the head.
Easter 2008 - I've been looking into that one now that the Winter 07/08 brochures are out, and in Manchester the schools break up for the usual two weeks on Thu 20 March (the day before Good Friday), although whilst browsing Google I noticed some areas will be taking Good Friday and Easter Monday as public holidays and then having a two-week school holiday at the beginning of April.
Manchester usually have Easter weekend in the middle of the Easter school hols, but with Easter being so early in 2008 I guess they've decided (along with a lot of other areas) to have Easter weekend as the first week of the school hols. The prices in the new 2007/08 brochures seem to reflect this, and prices drop a little after this period. So those areas who are having the school hols at the beginning of April instead will be better off when it comes to booking a family break at this time :roll:
Re Easter 2008. I think the same thing happened 2 or 3 years ago. People got the 2 bank holiday days off and then a seperate 2 week break for the Easter school hols.

A couple of my friends bagged bargain holidays because of this, so it could work out well for some HT'ers. :D
Cyber, you are so well organised looking at Easter 08 already. LOL :D
But if everyone goes for the new term arrangements the whole country will have a fixed break regardless of when Easter falls. One of the planks of the new idea is that you have a 2 week break in the spring to divide the term into 2 equal halves instead of the current floating fortnight which often means a long first half term then just 4 weeks for the second half. You would just get a day for good Friday if it didn't fall in the 2 week break.

But like I said earlier you would only get 4 weeks in the Summer to get that Summer holiday in unless you want to take your kids out of school. And those 4 weeks would be horrendously expensive given the demand.

Slightly tongue in cheek here but if all of you parents took your kids out of school in term time it would lower demand in the Summer and make it cheaper for me to go away! :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.