General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
school holidays
30 Posts
I'm afraid that the October 2008 half term dates are not yet published. You will have to call the LEA to see if they have yet been decided. For more information on School holiday dates contact
(01926) 742070
Are these not available on your local council website under schools, I know ours are, however we live in Manchester.
Check with the school! (unless you dont have kids and are therefore trying to avoid these dates.)
the half term holidays are always around the end of my daughters birthday so thats how i remember, i live in warks too, her birthday is the 28th oct so at a guess i would say they break up on the 24th oct, this is only my guess and shes 7 now and every year since she was born shes had her birthday the end of half term , i have older children too so can remember them off school the week i had her ,saying that ive just noticed that would take us into nov so maybe for the first time it might miss her birthday, so could be the 17th
on my local councils website, dates are only up until the end of summer term 2008 :(
thanks bunny 74, rang local council they said they will post on there website begining of june thats to late for me need to book family holiday asap so going to take pot luck with dates.
Can't speak for Warwickshire but generally, half term is usually the last week in October.
Mrs Chivas here!

I work for Walsall LEA and our dates are as follows for academic year 07-08:

Autumn Term 1
Monday 3 September - Friday 19 October

Autumn Term 2
Monday 29 October - Friday 21 December (early close)

Spring Term 1
Wednesday 7 January - Friday 8 February

Spring Term 2
Monday 18 February - Thursday 20 March (early close)

Summer Term 1
Monday 7 April - Friday 23 May

Summer Term 2
Monday 2 June - Tuesday 22 July (early close)

That makes 19 to 28 October 2007 1/2 term. This usually runs about this time every year (my daughter has a birthday on Oct 28 and has never been at school for it). This cannot be guaranteed. These dates have only come out in the last month so it will be this time next year when we get 08-09 academic year dates.
chivas snap we both have daughters birthdays on the 28th and i said exactly the same lol, looking at some of your dates particularly easter my daughters school dates are slightly different for warks area, 19th-3rd april
Half term holidays in May and October always cover the Bank holiday Monday. Therefore look at a 2008 calendar and find the bank holidays!
Mmm! I know most of us have a public holiday up here in Scotland in October - the 1st Monday in October always signals the beginning of the Tattie Holidays in my region but it does differ between areas - but which Bank Holiday do you get in October in England? There wasn't one when I lived south of the border! And equally the last Monday in May is not a public holiday in most of Scotland either though the banks do shut. Most schools in Scotland finish by the end of June for the summer holidays so there is no week long holiday between the April break and then. And just to complicate matters, if Easter doesn't fall within the 1st 2 weeks of April then, apart from the Catholic schools, Good Friday and Easter Monday are just ordinary working days for most of us where I live too. Though again, the banks do shut!

Up here, Bank Holidays and Public Holidays can be very different dates! I've lived up here on the east coast of Scotland for over 17 years now but my family down south have still not got the hang of it!

SM
I have never kbnown there to be a bank holiday in October, here in the North East. We havn't got holidays as far as October 2008 just when they return in September 2008 after the 6 weeks holiday, 2nd Sept.
Yes, my mistake. No BH in October in England. Wishful thinking on my behalf.
Hi

We are Northamptonshire and half term is 24th October to 3rd November. Check to see if your term dates are usually the same as ours and if they are then I would think you are safe to go for that week. Just 'google' Northamptonshire schools term dates and go for the 'lucky' button and it should take you straight there so you can compare.

Pam :D
Thinking about the fact there is no Bank Hol in October, there should be one, :roll: its a long time waiting for one between the end of August and Xmas!
Just have a sickie, at least the shops will be open and less people on the roads!!! :)
I'm fuming,

Booked hols for Oct H/T and Easter 2008--------------got the dates of the school hols-----so everything was OK!!!!!

Today got a letter from my sons school----------they've changed both Hol dates by a week------so now whereas he would only have missed 2 days in Oct-----------------he now misses a week at Easter and 4days at H/T!!!!!!! PLus------------I'll have to go through the permission carry on!!! :evil:
Hi
I work in a school and have never known dates to be changed by so much time!!! Also unusual to change Easter as it is a 'set' date.
Is your son at Primary or High School?
There should not be a problem with the permission issue as you booked in good faith.
As a matter of interest what were the original dates and what are the new dates? Also which area does this apply to?
Irene
Hi Irene,

My sons at High school----------[ "supposed to be the best in the area!!!!!!!!!"]

I misread the Oct H/T but certainly haven't misread next Easter-

They were supposed to finish on 14/3 but now want to finish on 20/3-so therefore he would miss 4days---as the flights are booked for 15/3!!!!!

It's Liverpool---------I checked the dates with the LEA
Easter is a real mish mash next year Dor . Easter weekend starts on the 21st March. our secondary school starts their holiday around 31st and local colleges take their break another week later . I am having real problems with next Easter . I booked our week for the easter week (21st)when hubby will get time off and decided to take the children out for the 4 days we would need. but i may have to now try and change ours as eldest son will be doing block release at college for this electrical apprenticeship which means If they dont finish until 4th April he wont be able to go . looks like whatever week i try to book we are having problems :( :( .

dor im sure there will be many parents at your sons school who have booked holidays based on those original dates you wont be alone and im sure they will be ok about it but im guessing your not happy about them having 9 days off :?

lyn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.