Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The policemen/women have to pay bribes to get the job in the first place - begs the question do they get the job because they actually have policing skills/training or is it about "whats in your wallet" :que Baksheesh is part and parcel of Goan (Indian) life, it is part of the culture - even though it is banned by legislation and some people are getting caught, they'll be back in their job again within weeks (even days) and the whole cycle will continue. Legislation will not stamp it out. This is a fact, this is India and NO we don't have any control over it - when you have a population the size of theirs this is how it works; not enough jobs to go around unless you can afford to pay. I don't like it any more than anyone else but this is the way it is - right from the top (government) to those at the bottom of the pile.

I agree the bunkers are a good start but lets just hope the guy who is manning it has a half decent weapon should he need it and he actually knows how to use it. I would personally like to see more police (or even army) patrolling the area regularly. I think this may help people (particularly tourists) to feel a bit more secure. Okay this might put some prospective tourists off coming to Goa (especially newbies) but IMO they aint coming anyway - at least not at the moment. No, security is not a laughing matter - but try telling them that (when they are taking money off you for smoking on the beach or they are turfing you off your sunbed). Your money is their only priority.

Just read a couple of posts that say there IS a noticeable military and police presence on the beach - great news. :tup
I'm afraid the bunkers in my opinion are a comlete waste of effort, as they face seawards one can only assume any terrorist will simply shift his arrival point a 100 mt. or so in either direction, defensive lines and such like, were discredited several wars ago, and are no longer a meaningfull strategy. The rumour, and differing stories eminating from different Goverment depts. in the press, are quite ridiculous, and only heightens the feeling of unease in the readers mind. As far as I can see all the efforts so far, such as closing night markets, some police wandering about, trenches etc, are nothing but a cynical strategy by the Goverment to cover themselves in the event of any terrorist incident. Ministers and security forces were hung out to dry, rightly, after the Mumbai incident, all thats going on now in Goa, is much more to protect the Goverment, than any victims of an attack. Alan
hi all

im not sure if im just dozy and reading wrong here......

we are going to goa for the first time in 2 weeks and do the police stop tourists and ask for money?

or is it just the shacks etc what they are taking money from......im a bit dumb and confused soz......lol

thanks angie xxx
I have never been asked for money by any official in Goa but there have been many cases where tourists riding motorbikes/scooters have been stopped by the police and money "extorted" from them for a variety of trumped up reasons. Recently some tourists (and locals) have being "fined" for smoking in public places. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure you'll not have any problems.
  • Edited by fizzy2 2008-12-21 10:32:46
Last year I was asked for a pound by the last policeman who takes the paper slip as you come out the door at dabolim. He held out his hand with about 5 pound coins in it and said "give me pound", I thanked him and went to take a pound from his hand. He was not best pleased, but I just told him to get lost in my broadest Scots and he just shrugged and waved us on. What a nerve they have!
I loved that Sandyboy. I have just returned from a 3 week holiday, first day back at work today and feeling depressed but your comment made me laugh.

Re the security, we did see a lot of police on the beach sometime in such numbers it was quite alarming rather than making us feel secure. Anyway we are back to tell the tale and we went to all the places people had warned us off about previously - Sunburn festival, new years eve on the beach and Anjuna market. As far as sunbeds are concerned it seems a bit pointless banning them if the customers want them. At our shack they just put the matresses on the beach once the beds were full therefore th same number of bodies on the beach in front of the shack.

I would say to all those worrying, just go and enjoy yourself, I don't think you are in any more danger than you are in any big city in this country. We will be back next Xmas and New Year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.