Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We have just returned from our first holiday to Goa , we have convinced ourselves that it will not be our last .The friendliness of all those that we met was astonishing , yes we did get the occasional taxi driver or stall holder that tried to get a few more rupees out of you but that aside nothing else could be faulted , even the mattress at our hotel was a source of humour !.

The only worrying thing that I saw was actually at Dabolim on our way home , after going through passport control and being told that I had to leave a miniscule amount of face spray , I noticed a sign on the wall which read.............
NO GUNS OR AMMUNITION TO BE TAKEN ONTO THE AIRCRAFT!!!

Right thats ok then ......... :think
I know exactly what you mean about "security" in Goa Gramps. A few years back they were on high alert, the military were sent in and yes, there was a high presence of uniforms on the roads and beaches etc, the thing is they were more interested in having their photo's taken with foreigners!!! They looked ill equipped (to me) to deal with a gang of fish wives let alone a terrorist attack....god forbid that ever happens in goa
GFF xxx
Egypt has a very high security presence with check points etc. etc. and yet there have been a number of serious bombings and shootings....Luxor (and it wasn't actually Luxor but the Hatshepsut's Temple car park) and Old Sharm market to name but two....
And yet they could manage to spare a dozen police or so to move sunbeds for a day!!!! God help us all if anything ever happens in Goa as the security services here are just a joke Alan
:yikes

Had a text of a friend that is out there now to say there is no vehicles allowed up Titos lane and that the police are doing body searches :que :really

Pip
x
Arrived back from Mumbai > Dubai > Glasgow and instantly got pulled by Police investigators at Glasgow and got asked a lot of questions. I've nothing to hide anyway, seemed routine.

My taxi driver in Goa who took me to the airport yesterday reckoned Ingo Market would be stopped.
I was reading all the papers in Goa every day for the last month since coming back today. I think it's only a matter of time before Goa experiences some kind of attack, I think there's a lot of foils going on that we have not being hearing too much detail about. There were military police out in their droves around Dabolim the ast few days and apparantly at interstate borders also.

I must admit that I'm kind of glad I'm home now as I felt a little 'exposed' around Baga after the Mumbai attacks as there are so many possible targets round there. The last place I would like to be is anywhere on the 'strip' around xmas and new year. It's really sad I feel this way but the last few days in North Goa didn't feel right to me.

This is sure to be a terrible season for Goa, not just because of what has happened at Mumbai. I can't believe they still keep on building new hotels, shacks, restaurants etc. when tourism is expected to be down. Absolutely no business sense whatsoever.

My advice to anyone going at Xmas is be incredibly alert and avoid night clubs and markets.
2 more articles in the Herald today

http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=13531&cid=26

http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=13527&cid=26

Also read yesterday that a group of people (mainly beach sellers) were rounded up by Colva
police.

Also in the Navhind Times several similar articles of a similar nature

http://www.navhindtimes.com/news.php

Perhaps the Goan authorities are begining to pull their fingers out
Gramps - we must have been a sunbed or two apart because we used Aggie's quite a lot over the last couple of weeks and we also saw the utterly dispiriting spectacle of 10 police with a gang of destruction men tearing down sun shelters and beds.

It's not only their total disregard for the tourists who look on in bewilderment, and who, incidentally are bringing much needed money into the state to pay their wages, it's the arrogance and over-bearing attitude they display. I was too much of a coward to ask them exactly what they were doing and why, and whether tourism ever entered their minds. Don't want to end up in Fort Aguada prison with a pack of drugs planted on me!! :(

Talk about fiddling while Rome burns....there's a report in the Telegraph this morning about a possible terrorist strike in Goa before the end of the year. But hey, never mind, so long as the sunbeds are straight! :que
Roma,

What exactly did it say in Telegraph, I've tried to find it on the Telegraph website but can't
i couldnt see anything about goa, just 4 indian airports..
The sunbed police were hard at it yesterday at the Baga River part of the beach, tourists turfed off beds and general confusion. All the local papers today report visible police presence at all tourist areas, walked from the beginning of Candolim beach to the Baga River and back this afternoon and not a policeman in sight. Oh and all the removed sunbeds were back in place again, some place Goa is'nt it Alan
The latest FO advice on travel to India can be found here
we flew out of mumbai 48 hours before the hassle and quite frankly the security was pants.

goa police were all over looking for contraband sunbeds or illicit smokers, mumbai airport bods refused us entry to airport as we were too early and we basically said, my missus is pregnant were going in and they accepted it!

going out for a smoke, he said no, I said bugger off and guess who won?

Not condoning anything but how easy must it have been?
Mazzy - The Telegraph piece is "Al-Qaeda threat to Indian Resorts".

*quote removed due to copyright but you can read the article in the link in the post above*

Hope they're wrong....but wasting police time on straightening up sunbeds ain't gonna do much to deter them.
  • Edited by Fiona 2008-12-04 16:31:38
    quote removed due to copyright
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.