Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I don't know the answer but either way I'd get a child seat in the taxi just for the safety!
I don't think there are any laws in place ref car seats in taxis but on a personal level I wouldn't like to take a risk with a little one on my lap in a taxi in this country let alone one abroad - taxi drivers anywhere aren't best known for the safest driving.

If you were to get something like the Britax Freeway/Fisher Price Lightweight 2nd stage seat (one and the same thing and I know the former is currently on a WIGOG promo in Mothercare for £59.99) you'd be able to use it on the plane if you've booked your little one a seat or put it in the hold for the taxi journey.
To follow up on this - was just browsing Lower-Hire's website as we're booking a fridge from them for our holiday and they do baby stuff for hire too so was looking at the car seats and it states:

"They are compulsory by law for children, who must also travel in the back of the vehicle."

Tis
I was also interested in the car-seat law. It does indeed seem that it is a requirement for small children to use one. I'm flying to Palma with Thomas Cook Airlines at the end of May. Will they allow us to take our own child car-seat as hold baggage? Will they charge for this? As a last resort I'll have to phone them to ask, but their call centre is 20p a minute, and I haven't found an email address on the website.
Thanks for any help in advance.
I *think* airlines may charge for car seats in the hold - I know buggies go free but it might well be different for car seats UNLESS you're taking it onto the aircraft - children under 18kg can use 3 different types of car seat on the aircraft seat -

1. Britax Eclipse
2. Britax Renaissance aka Mothercare MPH
3. Britax Freeway aka Fisher Price Lightweight seat

All 3 seats allow the use of fitting with just a lap strap so are suitable for use on planes. I can't comment on other makes but as a trained Britax Car Seat Fitter I can confirm the above is correct.

If you are hiring a car while you are there, you might be able to ask for a car seat or alternatively hire one from Lower-Hire. We have arranged a private transfer and Janerbus are bringing along booster seats for our 6 year old twins.

Unfortunately I think you might have to ring the Thomas Cook helpline even if it is 20p a minute - look on the bright side you could be travelling Jet2 who charge a WHOPPING 50p a minute for their 'helpline'!

Tis
Hi there,
I worked in Palma airport last summer and as far as I remember the taxi don't carry child/booster seats, nor are they obliged to at present, so would be better to take your own,m or book with a transfer company who provides them.
Hi,

We have transfers booked to & from airport with booster seats for our 4 & 6 year old.

My concern is, if we wanted to jump in a taxi say, from golf fantasia to our apts, Saboners, the other end of Palmanova, would they be ok to just put seat belts on, as they are both tall enough.

It's only if, after the golf, they are both weary & its a bit of a trek.

Thanks all.

Deb.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.