Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
morning Karen .I always tend to overlook the olu deniz resort hotel. I think because whenever i price it up with a T/O it always comes up expensive for us. but you got a good deal didnt you.??

lyn

ps it was the year before last we were at the sun city . last year we went to the mirage in Icmeler. :D
yes it was a good price i got think 350 for a week, belcekiz was around 440 and sun city 380, alize was the cheapest around 303
hi elliemeg

the pool was bitter cold yes the animation team were there.

fist few days off our holiday all they done was chat up the young girls

when i complained to rep thats when they stared to get stuff going but saying that all we had one night was a quiz then on the friday night bingo which i won :D

The priate beach eas nice no hammocks at all only could have orange juice nothing else in the drinks dept and a chesse sarnie with salad everything else you had to pay for :cry:
We're off to the Sun City in August :D Is it really worth getting the bus to the private beach or is the main beach, a short walk away, better and easier? I'm just thinking of the kids and if they get bored we'll have to wait for the bus back instead of just walking from the main beach near the hotel. Also, if there's limited drinks and sandwiches at the private beach, it may be better to use the main beach and go in a nearby bar for a better choice of refreshments??

Also, has the sunbed situation at the Sun City improved since the reports from last year? I think I'll be taking my big inflatable bed anyway, just in case... :lol:
It's our first time in Turkey and we're really looking forward to it, although we're a bit concerned about the intense heat in August - we usually go to the Canaries where there's always a nice breeze - is there any chance of a breeze in Olu in August?
Probably not a hope in hells chance of a breeze cyber 8) . Yes the main beach is just a short walk away .its beautiful but its very stoney and quite painful on bare feet. and not really suitable for children. down by the waters edge you sink quite deeply into the stones and its very difficult to get out so really not very safe for smaller children :( . If you carry on walking along this beach for about 5 mins you come to the entrance to the lagoon. . you can pay an entrance fee if your walking and then a further walk or 5/10 mins . you can also ring phone numbers for the private beaches and they will collect you. never done it but someone will help you with the phone numbers on here if you want them. :D

lyn
doubt there will be a breeze in aug it will be very hot

the main beach is shingly , wereas the lagoon is sandy ,calm like getting into a warm bath, i much prefer the lagoon area
its very stoney and quite painful on bare feet. and not really suitable for children. down by the waters edge you sink quite deeply into the stones and its very difficult to get out so really not very safe for smaller children

My kids are 16 and 13 and very 'water confident', so no worries there! I was more concerned about them having more to do and more choice of refreshments at the main beach - teenagers get bored quickly :roll: We'll probably try both beaches, although I'm not much of a beach person, the kids have seen the hotel's website and want to make use of the canoes and stuff at the private beach - are the canoes free?
Do they have those sun lotion sales reps coming to the hotels in Turkey? We've had them in a few hotels in the Canaries, and I'd like to buy some supplies if possible, difficult to get hold of the stuff in UK without paying P&P :?
As for the breeze (or lack of it), I suppose I'll just have to live in the pool for 2 weeks :roll: Is it very hot at night?
for soft sand on the main beach go right up the end towards the babdag mountain there is volley ball net there its quite nice but watch the waves there can be a strong under current ther are plenty of beach bars on the promanade and the temperature will be well in the 40's mand not much of a breeze and its very intense but im sure you have a great time anyway
Yes theres canoes and pedloes at the private beach cyber and yes they are free. I believe there were quite a few people snorkelling too. But i dont think theres much more for bored teenagers unless they like sunbathing. My eldest 2 are the same age and they got bored very quickly there and your right the only way of getting back really is to wait for the mini bus which i think only goes back twice a day.

So maybe teenagers would prefer the main beach as they can jump around in the waves watch the paragliders wander around more and yes more choice of places to get a snack. + they can go back to the hotel easily if they do get fed up :D

lyn

ps didnt see any sun lotion reps when we were there. a couple of times when we were there they put on a show of girls modelling clothes walking round the pool but they didnt seem to sell much.
The Sun City shares its beach with other hotels and is situated right at the end of the lagoon.It is quiet and there were plenty of beds.Only awful orange drinks were available when we were there last May.There was one hammock on the grassed area,but this area seemed to attract flies.There is only a very narrow strip of sand at this beach.If you have children I would go to Bobs or Suara beach which are not so far as the hotel beach.Its only 20 minutes walk from the hotel to the hotel beach so if you dont want to wait for the bus its not that far.
Thanks for the replies :D Sounds like the main beach is a better idea for us then, if it's really hot we can get back to hotel easily to get in the shade and dip in the pool 8) We're there for 2 weeks, so I'm sure we'll try the private beach too, but probably take our own drinks from the supermarket if the orange juice is that bad :roll:
Do they have a private safe in each hotel room, and if so, how big is it? We usually take camcorder, assortment of Gameboys, PSPs, mobile phones, digital cameras, as well as money, passports etc - will it all fit in?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions nearer the time (11½ weeks to go) so I'll keep watching this topic while I'm waiting.
im 99% sure they did have safes . I cant remember any holiday we have been on in recent years that didnt. But it would have been the usual shoebox size I believe so dont think you would fit all that in. Im pretty sure you had to pay for it.

lyn
Hi all! Just back from Sun City in Olu Deniz and what a great time we had there. This was our first time in Turkey and I could not fault it. If any one is going shortly I would forget taking Lira and take the pound. We will be looking to go back to Turkey next year so any ideas for us ( 2 adults & 2 kids 3 & 5) would be most welcome. If anyone wants any info for where we were fire away.
Hi stoddy :D We're off to the Sun City in 2½ weeks :sun I'd like to know if the sunbed situation is just as bad as all the reviews suggest - and also if the air-conditioning in the the bedrooms is cool enough. Oh, and is there a bad mozzie problem there at the moment?
Glad to hear you had a good time! It will be our first time in Turkey too. I've already bought some lira, got it a few weeks ago when the exchange rate was good - got 580 lira for £200 - but I won't bother getting any more, I'll just take sterling.
Hi Stoddy,

Glad you had a great time. We were first time Turkeys (!) last year at Kusadasi (AI) and can't wait to go back. We were in Ephesus Princess and really enjoyed it. (see review)

Thanks to info from this site we took mainly £10 notes last time and will do the same again. We only took enough lira to get us through the first day and dolmus etc. We've just arranged the £10 wad with a friend of ours who works in a bank. Last year to get the notes all nice and crisp I sprayed them with Fabreeze and ironed them. Worked a treat.

Does the hotel supply pool towels? They did last year and we exchanged them daily. It saved the extra weight in our cases.

Thanks
:lol:

14 sleeps to go :lol:
Me again! The pool beds can be a bit of a pain and I found myself going down at 07.30 to get a bed by the little pool as we have small children and needed to keep an eye on them. If you are not fussed there was still beds about 9 am but as the English schools are out I think it will be beds for those who get up early. There is no hotel towels for the pool but you can buy towels in the town cheap. The air condition in our room was top notch and we had to put it to medium as it was to cold on high and it was in the 40's when we were there. The mozzies were a problem for some but luckly we seemed to miss out.
Thanks for the advice stoddy :D Air-conditioning sounds great, sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss in some hotels. I'll be taking my big inflatable sunbed, so if we get up late I'll still have something to lie on :wink: Is there a laundry room at the hotel? It would be nice to wash our beach towels when they get smelly after a few days...
Not sure about laundry room as the wife just washed the towels in the bath with that travel wash stuff in the morning and they were dry by night time. I did notice a laundry in the town (2 min walk) you will also find all the inflatables you need here at half the price of the hotel. The best one is, come out the hotel turn right, walk until you come to the shops then turn right again, there is a shop with hundreds of the things on the left hand side about 50 yards up the road. Also you find loads of places to book trips, we did the 12 islands but was bored with it by mid afternoon, Dalayan mud bath trip & turtle beach (5*) and the Aque park (5*) remember this was just us and it might not be everyones cup of tea
has anyone stayed hera we were booked to o to egypt but our flight in sept from cardiff has been cancelled this hotel in turkey has been offered to us but need to konw a bit more about it before we make a decision

Merged to existing topic Briar
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.