Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Thanks for the tip :D
We land about 7pm so all being well we should be in the cab before the price rises at 9pm.
:D
Either agree a price or insist on the meter being switched on. The first price they say will be much inflated. Greet them with 'Aslemma' (hello) which means you don't look too 'green'. Last November from Monastir to PEK (slightly further than Sousse) I was quoted TDN 35 (about £17). I laughed and said 'la, gali barchar' - 'No, too dear' and finally finished up at TDN 17! On the return the hotel organised a taxi for me so it finished up at TDN20 but I noticed money passing between the driver and the man from the hotel! That said, last March I was only quoted TDN6 for a taxi from Sousse to the airport, but I think I was just lucky on that occasion.
Thank you for the useful phrases, i will most definately be trying them out
:D
We are travelling to Monastir on 9 March. Does anyone have any ideas on cost of taxi to Port El Kantoui? On our last visit we enjoyed the coach car park for over 2 hours!!
Mary
Hi, on our last visit to Tunisia we took a taxi from Monastir to Port El Kantaoui and it cost us 14 dinars. Of course the price may change depending on what time of the day you take the taxi, they are a little more expensive after 9pm, but 14 dinars is about average, try agreeing a price with the driver before you get in as it can work out cheaper than using the meter.
going to marahaba imperial in pek early september. How much is the taxi fare from airport to hotel and how far is it. :lol:
just got back from sousse last week, it cost approx 13 dinar in the day from the airport with PEK being approx another 4 dinar from sousse agree a fare of no more than 20 dinar before getting in... it takes about 20mins from airport to PEK
i am going to stay at royal kenz in 4 weeks can anyone tell me if i would need to book a taxi from the airport to take me there from holiday company,or do they have plenty of taxi's there?and would i need to agree a price?
Hi Jdb

We went to Tunisia last month, and after reading the posts on this site, decided to go with our own airport transfers - I am so glad we did.

At the airport there are loads of taxis, we arrived after 1am, and there must have been about 20 or 30 at the rank. We agreed a price on that occasion (we were going to Sousse). I think we had arrived got settled in and possibly were asleep before the tour coach with others from our flight had arrived!

On the way home there was a taxi rank at the top of the road, and we had reception phone up and call a taxi down. As this was an evening journey we just checked that he had his meter at 0.35, and away we went, this trip was particularly cheap.

When you are out in the resort, every second vehicle seems to be a yellow taxi, so no problems there.

Our taxis including tips cost us under 50TND (there and back), which is about £22. The tour operator wanted £60 for coach transfers for this!

Have a lovely time whenever you are going.
regards
Marina
thanks for that mgb, forgot to ask as we don't arrive until late evening will the taxi accept english money as we probably won't have had time to change any money
If you are arriving at Monastir, don't worry, the money exchange bureau seems to be open 24 hours a day. Tip, whoever goes to get the money will need their passport, so don't bury it in your hand luggage as soon as you get through immigration lol!!

I am sure I read somewhere on this site that some taxis do accept english money, but I think it's as well to get some changed while you can, as we had to buy some water at the hotel as soon as we arrived (it was so hot).

Regards
Marina
would it be better to jump in a taki to our hotel,or is just as quick with the resort transfer bus,how much would i expect to pay thanks
Skanes is about 5 mins from the airport so you will be first drop off if you are doing a package and transfers are included.
Hey everyone I am flying out to Tunisia on the 26th March to Monastair airport and then onto Port El Kantoui. I have no airport transfer arranged with my tour operator and was wondering what the best way do do this is??

Shall I wait untill I arrive at Monastair and take a standard taxi outside or shall i prebook online before I arrive?? The price to prebook is roughly around £50 each for me and my girlfriend so was just wondering if there is any cheaper ways? Any experiences or tips would be useful!

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Sorry if I come across as naive, it is our first time abroad. :D
I've heard of some rip-offs but £50 each to PEK just about beats them all. :roll: As Briar says there are taxis in abundance outside the airport - just remember to get some dinars from the Bureau de Change first. Hang on to your suitcase as the porters try to grab it (for a tip) and lead you out to the taxis, but unless you are loaded down with luggage you don't need them. Greet the drivers in Arabic - Aslemma! (hello), tell them where you want to go and ask how much. Whatever price they say you look at them in amazement and laugh - La! gali barcha (No! too much) then offer about a third at the most. After a bit of bartering you will reach a decent price - if not walk down the line of taxis and someone else will be glad of the business. I've been doing it for some years now and it's always worked. Hope you have a lovely holiday - I'm back there on 23rd April. Don't apologise for being naive - we have all had a 'first time' and there are plenty of people on here who will try to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks for your replys, you have been very helpfull!
Can anyone tell me how this works.

Is there a big queue?

Is there enough time between landing and getting on the transfer coach.

Should I just wait untill I get to the hotel to change my money.

Thanks for your help.
There can be a queue but if you are going on the transfer coach you won't need any money. The couriers will have your name on their list so it is unlikely they will drive off without you though. Hang on to your luggage and don't let anyone take it to the coach for you as they will certainly expect a tip. You can usually change money when you get to the hotel but if it is 'out of hours' (and some hotels do have fixed hours for it) the porters there will be more than happy with English money as a tip (50p or £1). I've not stayed in Hammamet Yasmine but ATMs are plentiful everywhere so if the hotel can't help and you are desperate for some readies just ask where the nearest one is and take a little walk.
We are going to Hamammett in july and will be arriving at airport at 7:40 (approx) and have minimum of two hours transfer. We cannot get Tunisian Dinar from the UK and will be taking Sterling Travellers cheques. As our approximate time of arrival being around 9:40/10:00ish. Is there anywhere we can change Travellers cheques??........cheers folks...... :?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.