Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
To answer my own question;
The restaurants have improved massively, there are loads of wonderful places to eat at all levels of price. I find the hygiene standards in these places have got a lot better along with the service.

Another thing that is a lot better is the exchange rate, 80+Rps to the pound - i'm sure it was in the 60Rps when I first started going.

Anyone got any more?

Paul
It's not my favorite part of Goa !, but the airport has improved a lot since my first visit.
lassi
I agree that the airport has improved (some might be surprised)! When we first arrived at the airport, I thought we had accidently walked on to the set of Indiana Jones :lol:

The variety of available products has also improved. My husband lost his jar of marmite (can't live without it) and in the early days a shop would have to order it in, from Mumbai, I think! You can now get a whole host of stuff you couldn't get before.

When we first went most people we knew either used the bus, push bikes or scooters, some are now considering buying a car so I suppose for them that is a great improvement.
Yes, the restaurants also the food in the shacks has improved now , they never used to have electricity so no fridges or very cold drinks :yuck also less power cuts , The power was always going off for hours at a time everyone rushing around looking for candles only the very organised had torches then 8) and hardly anyone had mobile phones to use the light from (how did we ever manage without them) :? it was also very expensive to phone home,cost buttons now, remember the cheers :hyper when the power came back on and the jeers :shock: when it went back off again it was like being in the pictures :lol: Allan.
The toilets. Although some still leave a lot to be desired many have improved massively. The first time we went visiting the loo was something you psyched yourself up for.and was certainly not for the faint hearted. These days you can actually find many a clean toilet with loo roll and some even have soap....luxury.
we have been visiting goa for 12 years,the airport used to be a living nightmare,the roads now are much improved, for the first time visitor you may think i am joking.there were no mobiles then just long lines of people waiting to use the public phones,again you may think i am joki ng but the garbage collections are better organised but there is much room for improvement. i must admit we do miss the cows that used to wander around almost everywere,the dog population as decreasd ,i think due to the efforts of the I A R. The goan people in the tourist areas now know much more about our lifestiles and culture than you realise.
:) I agree - the airport was a nightmare - I couldn't believe it! I also miss the cows, where have they gone? We said last season that there was a lot less than the previous year. I went south at first and saw lots of pigs walking the street - never seen any in the north in the town. The people are a lot more clued up - they make out they don't know anything - they lie!Definitely the toilets and the fact that the shacks have toilets - decent ones at that. I can unfortunately think of lots of things that have changed for the worse - I'm glad I saw it a few years ago!
a goan friend told me that if the locals allow there cows to roam they are rounded up by the police and taken to a compound on the calangute road at salagau i think thats the wrong spelling,and they have to pay to get them back
There were a lot of cows roaming around the roads at the beginning of November and we really could have done with a poop scoop when we went out. :lol: Thank goodness we had a torch at night so we could see what was lurking :yuck
One good thing that I noticed this year was the lack of dogs on the beaches.I was told that a dog welfare organisation had rounded a lot up during the monsoon and took them away.They likely in somebody's curry ???
Why could the Government not think about that and do it.

Certainly some good news and it also stops those stupid tourists feeding them.
goa
Ah memories, I miss the little piggies wandering about in Candolim, lol. There were lots of cows around early November, they just plonk themselves down anywhere, I was terrified was going to bump into one, after a G & T too many at Nino's Nook, they seem to like the Panjim road junction a lot.
The stray dog population has definitely decreased, most of the dogs we saw were well covered, sporting collars, and had their little nick in their ear to show they had been neutered. I am one of the 'stupid' tourists who saved tit bits for the dogs :oops: . Went up market this year though and bought proper doggie treats from Newtons :)
Thank goodness for that Roxey, I wasn't the only "stupid tourist" then :lol:
Ah! yes....The Goan dictionary.
Wild dogs on the beach :- Some shack's pet.
Stupid tourist :- Usually a caring animal lover.
Roker :oops: if you want wild dogs try the helipad on top of Aguada, lots of packs of ferrul dogs. :roll:
You're definately not the only one, I'm also a stupid tourist. :lol:

Donna
XX
hi ,me again forgot to mention that my whole family are stupid tourist over the years we have fed the dogs gave them worming pills, dusted them with flea powder and given them lots of T L C.taken injured dogs to the I A R centre for treatment some knocked down by stupid tourists on motor bikes.dont forget these are wild dogs and were in goa long before we were.
Sounds like the curse of the dog for me. Fiona will have to explain ???
Well I for one am glad to see some positive stuff about Goa.Geting a bit worried with all the Calangute bashing going on.Oh and please do not let this thread turn into an argument about dogs.

Regards

Papa
The arrival of Cafe Coffee Day in Colva, as a good cup of coffee was the only thing I missed when in Goa. There's also branches in panjim margao and calangute, for any other coffee lovers.
Coffee!!! Give me honeybee
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.