Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
It can be interesting to try and read between the lines when you see a mixed bag of reviews on a place.

Some say it had a great atmosphere and the staff were really fun, others moan they were kept awake by noise from the bar till the early hours.
Some complain because their little angels weren't made a fuss off and allowed to jump in the pool or run in the corridors, others love it because it wasn't dominated by out of control kids.

Of course where this goes wrong is when you have found a place that you like and other people take it over with different intentions and expectations, which is what seems to have happened to you.

I think we should praise good places where we have stayed, but I take your point about not wanting to let everyone else in on it, even if their money is as good as ours ;)
And we generally avoid anywhere that is described as family friendly :yikes
I know the feeling!.We have been staying at the same apartments in Marmaris for the last 6 years,and they are fantastic.They got gold awards with Thomsons every year,but this year they are only bookable direct with the owner.We went again in June and it was like having our own private apt with a fabulous pool,out of 32 apts only about 8 were in use,it was like one big happy family of an evening at the bar when everyone came back after an evening out,the owner said that he was booked up for all of July,Aug,and most of Sept,and that more than suited him if it was quieter early and late season,well I havnt done a review and I can see why others havnt,WE dont want anyone else to find this little haven,have booked again for next year and so have 5 other families we met for same time again.
Sorry TPR but I think you need to consider that its not just your holiday but others too! Im not saying I let my children run riot but if they want to play hide and seek they can, if they want to make a splash in the pool they can! It the Kids holiday too.

Sunbeds, everyone in a hotel is entitled to a sunbed regardless of wether they are travelling in a party of 4 or 40! Its not the families fault if their isnt enough sunbed its your hotels!

If you dont want to be bothered by other people cough up some more money and book a private villa alternatively, visit http://www.saga.co.uk/travelshop !
We booked tuncay based on the reviews from here and I must say we were very dissapointed- which just goes to prove each to their own!! We had no problem with the customers or staff, but our apartment was filthy and in major need of updating, when we wanted our children to get an early night we were kept awake by staff etc sat outside our bedroom window until the early hours plus blaring music from the nearby apartments and then were always awoken again by the mosque at 5am folowed by cockerals in the farm yard next door and I also thought the pool was far too deep. :que
In June we also went to apartments with a 5 star rating on here and we were throughly impressed with them so you learn from experience what suits you and your family I think. :que
I don't see how anyone can complain about a mosque, after all it is a muslim country! and as for the cockerals, if you stay in a quiet place there will always be cockerals......
i agree a holiday can be totally different with differnt people staying at your hotel. We have 3 children aged 7 ,9 12 but they always know to be respectful to others on holiday, but can still have a fab time . Everyone should be considerate to others on holiday, people with children and people without, then we can all enjoy :) .
I agree that families should consider their children when on holiday, but after having holidays spoiled by screaming spoilt children running around and creating havov whilst parents sunbathe and ignore them - I can see both points of view. When we took our children on holiday we played with them and ensured that they respected the fact that it was other peoples holidays and some people go away to relax. Holidays are for everyone and everyone should be allowed the type of holiday that they enjoy.
When you go on holiday your booking is a payment to use the facilites when you are there. It's always pot luck what other guests will be like, different aceptable levels of behaviour come from different groups. I hate being taken over by large families........ and have adjusted my holidays to reflect somewhere that has a quiet corner.

Having said that, its niaive to think that if you are on the second week of your holiday you have more right to your sunbed than someone that has just arrived!!! :que There are beaches and trips and other things to do other than lie poolside til your flight home.....

If families are boisterous and disrupting other people I always ask them politely to adjust their antics, never had any problem. We all relax in different ways.

And as for complaining about cockerels and mosques.......................... there are no words. :(
I totally agree with wanting to keep these little gems quiet, however everyone is entitled to book a holiday wherever they want. Unless you can fill the entire apartments/hotel with people who you know you will get on with and who like to be the same on holiday as you are, then you really can't complain about other guests (unless their behaviour is unacceptable and even then, that is subjective).

I don't quite get the 'newbies turning up and taking over the place'. They are entitled to be there, I would hate to think if I went on holiday as a family group that people already at the hotel were tutting and turning their noses up at us.

I too don't like to have too many children running around but that's what you research for. Those without kids who want things quiet tend to holiday outside of school breaks in smaller places, or large complexes with adult areas. If you've got kids but still like things quiet then you should choose a private villa or a small hotel/apartment blocks with less than about 40 rooms. It's not for me, but for children on holiday they should be allowed to play noisily in the pool during the day. It's what kids do!
I don't have any quarms with children playing, but when they run all over you're sunbed and towels then that's not right. We have children and they do have respect for other people.

Anyway it wasn't a moan, I was just saying that if I find some more apartments that are nice and quiet then I'll be keeping it to myself :tup

Thanks for the replies, Lukee maybe you was the inconsiderate families :think

Not long to go now :fly
Please everyone lets keep it friendly.

Kath x
Hi Op,

This board is usually full of people wanting to share their great experiences.

I understand it's a nightmare when kids are over running the place but then don't go somewhere that is family orrientated. It is their holiday too. I would never let my kids run wild and neither would Luke. I have chatted to him on here on many occassions and been at the same appartments at the same time as him and I can guarentee his kids didn't run wild!

It's seems a shame to post so negative before even going on hols. I personally can't wait for mine!

3wks & 3 days yeay!

Love Nikki xx
We have just enjoyed our holiday, returned on Monday, the first week was great, kids enjoying themselves meeting new friends, playing around the apartments, all showing repect for others then on Saturday a family arrived, From the minute they arrived the complaining started, we're too far from town and we will have to get taxi's etc, the following day the eldest son had a 24hr sick bug, apartments pool was immediately blamed but he still swam in it and no one else suffered the same problem, constant shouting at the kids even if they were the far end of the pool, do this do that etc, eldest (13) threating to 'swear' nutt his mother, youngest who couldn't swim left in the pool with a rubber ring while they wandered off into the apartments so it was left to others to keep an eye on him. The kids spitting in the pool, tipping the rubbish bins out on the play area, eldest (13) coming in drunk at night with his mum, smoking around the back of the apartments.

If you wanted a sunbed you could get one around this family, as people tended to move away when possible. Other guests were starting to get fed up so complaints were made to Thomas Cook by the management who came around and took reports from the other guests, they were moved in less than a few hours, where to I don't know but I understand a cheer and applause went up as the left the property.
T :sun2 his is why alot of people now prefer a diy holiday as the chances of this is much lower i personally know where you are coming from and this is not just british families that have this problem it is world wide
:sun2
I think there is a huge difference between children who are just a bit noisy and running about having fun and the kind of family that dksbbs describes. I know my children get a bit excited and nosiy but they are only little and I can't expect them to be quiet all holiday, it isn't fair either. They aren't allowed to run riot though. Unfortunately if the parents have no respect for anyone else nor will the children. To take a 13 year old out drinking is just outrageous :yikes
Thanks for the replies, Lukee maybe you was the inconsiderate families

Probably.

But then again, Id rather be the inconsiderate family than spend my whole holiday wining about every little thing. But nothing in the sun bothers me because when im in the sun, im in the zone :rofl

2 weeks 4 days until my family goes to take over !!! :cheers
I am fairly easy going and i dont really mind what other people get up to as long as they are not being aggressive its all fine with me.

Sometimes i think the danger with going back the exact same place time after time is that it will have changed. I think it is normal to dislike change. I am totally guilty of this too. :)
Yeah when i return to the same place we try to make sure were not going to try and relive the past holiday! :duh
Maybe some adult only apartments might solve the problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.