Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Trev, glad to here you had a nice time at the Hotel Marina like you say its one to use if you want to be in this part of Sliema, I seem to remember being in Sliema one July and there was a Festa on near Big Tonys bar on the front, have they moved the time its on or do they have more than one round here.
We maybe going back to Malta next summer and need to know the names of a few good restaurants would you be so kind as to put some this way (perhaps with home cooking)

Dave
hi DAVE there are more than one festa in sliema,there are four in all.about the restaurant i can tell you of one which is family run good food, clean and they make you feel at home.il-merill restaurant, :D
Thanks Malta31, can you tell me were is this restaurant?
Dave
hi dave,il-merill restaurant is not far from the hotel,when you came out of the hotel turn right go along the sea front and its the 5 street on the right,its in ST VINCENT STREET,SLIEMA.ITS FAMILY RUN.
MALTA31
Hi Dave,

The Il-Merrill is an excellent restaurant, believe me.

Also another restaurant we really enjoyed was Il-Girna on Gozo (15, Triq il-Kalati, Sannat, Gozo), right opposite the Ta Cenc hotel.

The Festa we know of occurs on the third weekend in August. I think it is something to do with Santa Maria. It also happens to be about the same time that the convoy sent by the allies landed during 1942 to relieve the Islands that were under seige by the axis forces. I think that there is some regard for this as well, though it is of course a religious festival,

Trev
Hello Trev, well been on the look out again and thought you well wish to plan some more holidays in Sliema around these, as you know on or around the 18 August the Festas of Stella Maris or ( the Lady of the Sea)
then there is St Gregory the Great on the 1st Sunday of September.
One of these must have been on when I was there or both Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (Sacro Cuor) 1st Sunday of July or was it St Dominic on the 3rd Sunday of July, hope this helps with the planning of your next trip to Malta. :wink:

Dave
Hi Dave, :wave

You know you must be a mind reader because I was thinking about the same thing :shock: ie when could I visit Sliema at some other time and see some of the other festas that they have? Well I reckon you've answered this nicely. Cheers, :hyper

Trev
Hi Trev, our recent visit coincided with the feast of St Gregory, and even though it is considered a lesser feast behind Stella Maris etc, it was certainly very spectacular with band marches and very loud fireworks being fired from a barge in Balluta bay, great experience though.

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2,

Thanks for the info. Crikey do they ever stop celebrating some feast or other?? Mind you we think these events are great and a special treat for us when we visit,

Trev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.